Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The official jon's voice thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70146)

BJFan99 11-20-2017 10:01 PM

The official jon's voice thread

What do you think about the guy's voice nowadays? For me, it's still VERY rough, but - surprisingly - more on the low/mid-register parts than the high ones. But what do you think JBJ will sound like next year? And how would you rate him as a SINGER nowadays? Is there anything left of him for you?

Here's Jon delivering what's probably his best vocal - and actually all-round as well - performance of any song in years:

https://youtu.be/BIl-Kl85Q5w (Saturday Night, Sao Paulo 23/09/2017)

Even the "night at a time" and "I know I'll get by" parts are sung frequently in tune for the first time in a long, long time.

PS. Let's try to keep all the deeper discussion about Jon's voice on this thread, as I think it would probably be the easiest way to go.

danfan 11-20-2017 10:32 PM

Very simple. I'll go see them in concert because it's still fun to sing along to the songs and in person, it's not as noticeable. Other than that, it's so bad I won't listen to anything live recorded in 2016-2017. I bought THINFS from London. I put into my Live mix and the title track played after a song recorded in 1995 in London. It's awful. He sounds so weak and whiny compared to 1995.

Gregsynthbootlegs 11-21-2017 02:25 AM

He's completely awful nowadays.

He has no singing technique whatsoever. He's nasal (which is bad singing technique), has very little breath support, strains to hit notes in the lower 4th octave, goes flat constantly trying to sing above G4, has no control over his passaggio points, constantly sings out of tune (regardless of what notes he's trying to hit), has a feeble and weak/thin tone (no technique, damage, etc), skips words and lines, has trouble articulating/pronouncing words and vowels, and has trouble singing in time at points.

He will sound just as bad (if not worse) next year, rates a 0 right now, and I have no hopes for him to be even passable.

Rdkopper 11-21-2017 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregsynthbootlegs (Post 1230621)
He's completely awful nowadays.

He has no singing technique whatsoever. He's nasal (which is bad singing technique), has very little breath support, strains to hit notes in the lower 4th octave, goes flat constantly trying to sing above G4, has no control over his passaggio points, constantly sings out of tune (regardless of what notes he's trying to hit), has a feeble and weak/thin tone (no technique, damage, etc), skips words and lines, has trouble articulating/pronouncing words and vowels, and has trouble singing in time at points.

He will sound just as bad (if not worse) next year, rates a 0 right now, and I have no hopes for him to be even passable.

Yep... Sums it up perfectly

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Walleris 11-21-2017 04:53 AM

It's a disaster that is only matched by a portion of fans who claim after every other show how he's supposedly "improving", when in fact, he's not. The only bright spots (e.g. a few songs on the South American leg) are him pushing his chords at 120% which is (A) not sustainable; and (B) leads to even more decline.

Next year he will be slightly worse than now, because that's the curve when you have no technique.

TwinFan 11-21-2017 06:16 AM

At one point, he was one of the handful of greatest vocalists on the planet. Today, he's not even a shell of himself. It's truly a goddamn shame. The man had an otherworldly talent and he just pissed it away with cigarettes and general negligence to vocal maintenance.

Excuse me while I listen to Keep the Faith tour bootlegs and remember the good times...

bonjovi90 11-21-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFan (Post 1230627)
At one point, he was one of the handful of greatest vocalists on the planet. Today, he's not even a shell of himself. It's truly a goddamn shame. The man had an otherworldly talent and he just pissed it away with cigarettes and general negligence to vocal maintenance.

Excuse me while I listen to Keep the Faith tour bootlegs and remember the good times...

This. I had this on in the background while writing, he was a ****in' beast back then!

Early and mid-90's he was one of the best around and I'd say that even in 2010 he was good considering his age and how high some of the tunes are. Since then, it's been nothing but a trainwreck and it'll most likely only get worse as time goes by.

Walleris 11-21-2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1230631)
Early and mid-90's he was one of the best around and I'd say that even in 2010 he was good considering his age and how high some of the tunes are. Since then, it's been nothing but a trainwreck and it'll most likely only get worse as time goes by.

Exactly. People have been talking about Jon's decline for decades (and rightfully so), but he was still very satisfying up until 2011. Bon Jovi songs are incredibly demanding vocally and this was evident whenever another male vocalist tried covering their songs or when Jon sang duet with someone else (I remember Old Time Rock & Roll with Kid Rock in O2 arena 2010) where you'd see that even middle-aged Jon, while nasal, still had very good range for a male vocalist. For example, that's some serious range!

What happened in over the course of 2013 is incomprehensible. Reason no. 314 why that tour should not have happened or should have been cancelled.

BJFan99 11-21-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1230633)
Exactly. People have been talking about Jon's decline for decades (and rightfully so), but he was still very satisfying up until 2011. Bon Jovi songs are incredibly demanding vocally and this was evident whenever another male vocalist tried covering their songs or when Jon sang duet with someone else (I remember Old Time Rock & Roll with Kid Rock in O2 arena 2010) where you'd see that even middle-aged Jon, while nasal, still had very good range for a male vocalist. For example, that's some serious range!
Jon Bon Jovi - A Change Is Gonna Come (Washington, D C, 18-JAN-2009) - YouTube

What happened in over the course of 2013 is incomprehensible. Reason no. 314 why that tour should not have happened or should have been cancelled.

That raspy high note on 2:37, my God... Jon definitely could still sing back then. I knew his voice was great in 2008-11, but THAT great? Excuse me while I pick my jaw back up from the floor.

liljovi93 11-21-2017 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJFan99 (Post 1230635)
That raspy high note on 2:37, my God... Jon definitely could still sing back then. I knew his voice was great in 2008-11, but THAT great? Excuse me while I pick my jaw back up from the floor.

I was going to post that video in the YouTube thread the other week. I absolutely LOVE that part and always have. He sounds fantastic.

I do think that he improved as the tour went on the other month. I thought Rock In Rio and Sao Paulo show were good and I've actually enjoyed watching them. Is it as good as 2013? Probably not. Even then he was poor but not as bad as people make out. He did decline massively though.

Will he ever gets 2011 standard again? Doubtful. Massive shame but he can only blame himself in my opinion.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk