Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Novocaine Lyrics (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=50981)

morillobaby 06-09-2010 11:20 PM

Novocaine Lyrics

hi been listerning to this song for days and wondering what it means.

I've changed my name to Novocaine

oh its a drug but why wright about it wodered if anyone knows why

Captain_jovi 06-09-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morillobaby (Post 994130)

Novocaine is a numbing drug. He's insinuating that he's gone through so much that he feels no pain whatsoever, he's numb to it. Brilliant song.

Crushgen24/88 06-09-2010 11:23 PM

Novocaine is a drug used to totally numb pain. In the context of the song, it's basically meant to say that the singer is so sick of pain, that he wants to just shut off all the emotions he's feeling at that moment, and feel nothing. The song was written about David's divorce, so it makes sense. I still say it's one of the band's best, def in the Top 3 of the 00-09 decade.
Hope this helps.

Johny 06-09-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morillobaby (Post 994130)

Eg the dentist use novocaine so you can't feel the pain when they are doing somrthing with your teeth. And Jon used it metaphorically because he (or the narrator of the song) doesn't want to feel the pain anymore - pain from the divorce, psychological pain.
You have to see what's behind the words not only their first meanings. That's the magic of poems/lyrics ;)

Johny 06-09-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 994133)
Novocaine is a drug used to totally numb pain. In the context of the song, it's basically meant to say that the singers to to just shut off all the emotions he's feeling at that moment, and feel nothing. The song was written about David's divorce, so it makes sense. I still say it's one of the band's best, def in the Top 3 of the 00-09 decade.
Hope this helps.

Aaah, you were faster, Brian. And you said it better. :)

Simon 06-10-2010 09:41 AM

AllI can add is that is has some of the best past-2000 lyrics and is a truely great and refreshing song. Like someone said earlier, it covers the topic brilliantly without being too depressing.

Sami 06-10-2010 08:12 PM

But what bothers me is the line "you´re the needle running through my veins". I never got it.

I am not coming from an English-speaking country so I may not be the most obvious one in here to interpret idiomatic sentences in English. Still, I can´t understand how a needle can actually run through someone´s veins? Sounds weird.

hometownboy 06-10-2010 08:20 PM

"you´re the needle running through my veins"

It's referring to the rush you get off drugs, with heroin being injected into the body through a needle in a vein.

TBoy 06-10-2010 08:24 PM

Shes the needle that makes him feel pain...

Sami 06-10-2010 08:27 PM

Ok, sounds reasonable enough :)