Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rate: American Reckoning (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70722)

Supersonic 09-25-2020 09:51 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1267415)
How does everybody interpret the line "I'll never know what it's like, to walk a mile in his shoes?" Is this directly about George Floyd or a more general comment about the problems facing black people in America? If its the former I'd be quite disappointed in Jon given Floyd's criminal past.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Even if it's both it still makes perfect sense. Going by the amount of racism that's still so prevalent in America and the many, many (white) people denying and/or not understanding the issue by coming up with an "all lives matters" Jon's got every right to say he'll never know what it's like to walk in his shoes.

Sure, Floyd had a criminal history but why is it that so many people of color face such differentent treatment to acquiring a job, access to education, access to proper housing and acquiring punishment compared to a white person? A white person in America is priviledged indeed. Even if they've got the same criminal history.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

James_86 09-25-2020 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1267424)
I just don't think most people are seeing it like that though. I hear what you're saying but that isn't what's causing the outrage.

I didn't realise there was any outrage regarding it. I've just been trying hard to get into the song but I just can't get past that line, unfortunately.

Perhaps it is more general given the line after about not having to have the talk. That and the fact the verse before the first chorus does directly deal with Floyd, it would be weird to carry it on for one line after the chorus, if that makes sense?

Captain_jovi 09-25-2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1267428)
I didn't realise there was any outrage regarding it. I've just been trying hard to get into the song but I just can't get past that line, unfortunately.

Perhaps it is more general given the line after about not having to have the talk. That and the fact the verse before the first chorus does directly deal with Floyd, it would be weird to carry it on for one line after the chorus, if that makes sense?

By outrage regarding it, I don't mean the song I mean about the police actions in general. It could be general or it could be specific, like Seb was saying, the point was more he didn't deserve to be treated that way and Jon will never have to experience that or explain to his kids what it's like.

bjcrazycpa 09-25-2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1267427)
Aloha !

Even if it's both it still makes perfect sense. Going by the amount of racism that's still so prevalent in America and the many, many (white) people denying and/or not understanding the issue by coming up with an "all lives matters" Jon's got every right to say he'll never know what it's like to walk in his shoes.

Sure, Floyd had a criminal history but why is it that so many people of color face such differentent treatment to acquiring a job, access to education, access to proper housing and acquiring punishment compared to a white person? A white person in America is priviledged indeed. Even if they've got the same criminal history.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I was just typing out a long response and I saw you responded and I knew you'd say what I would not say as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James_86 09-25-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1267430)
I was just typing out a long response and I saw you responded and I knew you'd say what I would not say as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I just say I'm in no way endorsing what happened to George Floyd. Just in my own personal opinion, the line is a poor choice, if indeed it is directly about him.

Supersonic 09-25-2020 10:05 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1267432)
Can I just say I'm in no way endorsing what happened to George Floyd. Just in my own personal opinion, the line is a poor choice, if indeed it is directly about him.

But can you explain why?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

James_86 09-25-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1267433)
Aloha !

But can you explain why?

Salaam Aleikum,

Sebastiaan

I have, above.

Supersonic 09-25-2020 10:12 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1267434)
I have, above.

Yes, and you asked if it made sense, and it doesn't to me, hence me asking you again. :)

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

James_86 09-25-2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1267436)
Aloha !

Yes, and you asked if it made sense, and it doesn't to me, hence me asking you again. :)

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

No, you're asking why it doesn't sit well with me, which I've explained above. What I asked made sense or not, was specifically where the line fits into the song [emoji4]

Alphavictim 09-27-2020 08:23 PM

You know who also has a criminal history? Doc McGhee.