Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Realistically speaking, which Bounce song should have been on the Greatest Hits album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70657)

Butters 11-11-2019 11:50 PM

For a greatest hits, it has to be either Everyday or Misunderstood. I'd personally vote for the former. It was quite a big hit in Ireland/UK/Europe so I'm surprised it didn't make it on to Disc 2. It's a pity that all albums weren't represented.

james_d 11-12-2019 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie73 (Post 1259938)
These Days had 4 singles that went top 10, only Hey god didn't ( 13 )

That's not what I'm saying, I'm talking about the top 20 selling BJ singles in the UK, not the ones that made the UK top 10 etc

Supersonic 11-12-2019 08:09 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1259920)
Yeah, sure. It's catchy, almost power pop, and it works for the band. Then again, I like Gutterflower era Goo Goo Dolls, which this song pretty much sounds like.

Yeah, it's probably why I don't like it. Back then there were several guitar bands rising up in the USA and none of them did anything for me. It feels whiny and instantly forgettable and lacks punch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1259920)
Were there any album tracks on the 2CD version of the Greatest Hits? I guess Tokyo Road sorta counts, but then again, that was not on the Western version. Also, was Lost Highway (the song) a hit ANYWHERE? I know Jon likes the song, but goddamn, it has no business being on that compilation.

Disc 2 is just an excuse to cram the other half of what was then the current setlist on there. At least half of what's on Disc 2 wasn't a greatest hit anywhere, really and adding fan favourites on a Greatest Hits is idiotic anyway.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

polevka 11-12-2019 01:41 PM

Clearly Everyday.

If you take chart position as an important criteria, Greatest Hits should have included:

You Give Love A Bad Name
Livin’ On A Prayer
Wanted Dead Or Alive
Bad Medicine
Born To Be My Baby
I’ll Be There For You
Lay Your Hands On Me
Keep The Faith
Bed Of Roses
In These Arms
Always
Someday I’ll Be Saturday Night
This Ain’t A Love Song
Something For The Pain
Lie To Me

These Days
It’s My Life
One Wild Night
Everyday

Have A Nice Day
Who Says You Can’t Go Home
(You Want To) Make A Memory
We Weren’t Born To Follow

Runaway [because of the band’s history]

This makes 24 songs.
And possibly:

Living In Sin
Never Say Goodbye
Dry County
Hey God
Say It Isn’t So
Thank You For Loving Me
All About Loving You

Source (creates an North America, Europe+UK, Australia view on this):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bon_Jovi_discography

Personally I don't have a problem with Something For The Pain missing.

YOVANAfromPeru 11-13-2019 01:40 AM

Easy... Undivided! Which was "something that's universal" (as always).

Captain_jovi 11-13-2019 06:04 AM

Undivided wasn't a single and has no business being on this release but then again so does a good chunk of disc 2.

Jovi98 11-13-2019 07:26 AM

Bounce is one of their better album (in my opinion), it was also influenced in part from 9/11 and there isn't songs from that album in the GH...., I can't realize that, not even after 9 years...

Johny 11-13-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259961)
Undivided wasn't a single and has no business being on this release but then again so does a good chunk of disc 2.

And that's why it should have been there :P

I mean, do you guys make a difference if the album is The Greatest Hits or The Best Of? I don't.
Even though I know that GH should be compiled of songs that charted the best. In such case, it definitely should reflect the markets. A bunch of songs will be same everywhere. And also - do you the charts dictate it all? Because it might happen that there will be no new song because the old ones all did much better.
On the other hand The best Of should be a compilation of just the best song, meaning not only singles but also fan favourites and live favourites?

Captain_jovi 11-13-2019 02:30 PM

"Best of" is completely subjective. Best of to who? The label? The fans? The people who hate ballads? The people that hate the rock songs? At least Greatest Hits has quantifiable data to back it up. Most of the songs on both discs were physically released with promo videos so it's easier to give it a pass. For as much as it tanked I still feel like more people would know Lost Highway over Undivided and it deserves to be there versus songs on albums not released at all.

bonjovi90 11-13-2019 02:49 PM

Lost Highway doesn't deserve to be anywhere - neither setlists nor GH tracklists :mrgreen: