Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Realistically speaking, which Bounce song should have been on the Greatest Hits album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70657)

Alphavictim 11-10-2019 04:26 PM

Realistically speaking, which Bounce song should have been on the Greatest Hits album

I say Misunderstood. Jon seems to like it, it was a single, they played it live (even acoustically during promo appearances) and it is a good song. Everyday was tailored to be a hit, sure, but it wasn't one, and All About Loving You... while it's okay, it has super dated production and they've got many better ballads (which would have been apparent on a greatest hits set).

I mean, yes, none of these songs were as big as It's My Life or Prayer, but neither was friggin When We Were Beautiful, and that one made the record. I guess Bounce was the first time the band did not sell a ton and thus have come to associate the record with unpleasant memories?

Of course, Undivided should have been a single and on a greatest hits album, too, but since it wasn't really (promo stuff maybe, but eh), it rightfully was not. Too bad.

rolo_tomachi 11-10-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1259913)
I say Misunderstood. Jon seems to like it, it was a single, they played it live (even acoustically during promo appearances) and it is a good song. Everyday was tailored to be a hit, sure, but it wasn't one, and All About Loving You... while it's okay, it has super dated production and they've got many better ballads (which would have been apparent on a greatest hits set).

I mean, yes, none of these songs were as big as It's My Life or Prayer, but neither was friggin When We Were Beautiful, and that one made the record. I guess Bounce was the first time the band did not sell a ton and thus have come to associate the record with unpleasant memories?

Of course, Undivided should have been a single and on a greatest hits album, too, but since it wasn't really (promo stuff maybe, but eh), it rightfully was not. Too bad.

Everyday and One Wild Night should have been in the big hits. Something for The Pain should also have been included, it was even played on the acoustic set at each 2010 show.

Captain_jovi 11-10-2019 06:29 PM

Talking regionally, how well did Something for the Pain do? For sure tanked North America side but not as knowledgeable on if it was the bigger of the TD songs in Europe. But I've always always always said the greatest hits should have been done differently in each larger territory. Probably would have costed twice as much to produce and distribute but I feel like it would have sold more.

To the original question: Misunderstood.

Supersonic 11-10-2019 06:29 PM

Aloha !

Everyday should've been on the Greatest Hits record. It was a big hit, was broadcast on MTV and VH1 quite often and the promo for the Bounce record was huge. I'd say the reason it's not on there is considering how much promo the band did there was little in return. Ticket sales were slow and the album got lukewarm reviews compared to Crush. The fourth single, Bounce, was cancelled after All About Lovin' You was pushed to May instead. Originally, All About Lovin' You was supposed to be released with Christmas and Bounce was supposed to be released in March to give ticket sales an extra push.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1259913)
I say Misunderstood ... it is a good song.

Eh? Really?

I thought Misunderstood was, after Say It Isn't So, the worst single they'd ever released. Back then every die hard on this board hated it and despised it making the live shows. I also remember the song going over really well in Germany yet going over like a lead balloon in Hyde Park a month later. Yet everyone knew the words to Undivided. Oh well.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

james_d 11-10-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259916)
Talking regionally, how well did Something for the Pain do? For sure tanked North America side but not as knowledgeable on if it was the bigger of the TD songs in Europe. But I've always always always said the greatest hits should have been done differently in each larger territory. Probably would have costed twice as much to produce and distribute but I feel like it would have sold more.

In the UK I'm pretty sure TAALS was by far the biggest TD song, from memory it was in the top 10 selling singles from BJ, whilst no other TD song was.

Alphavictim 11-10-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1259917)
Eh? Really?

Yeah, sure. It's catchy, almost power pop, and it works for the band. Then again, I like Gutterflower era Goo Goo Dolls, which this song pretty much sounds like.

Were there any album tracks on the 2CD version of the Greatest Hits? I guess Tokyo Road sorta counts, but then again, that was not on the Western version. Also, was Lost Highway (the song) a hit ANYWHERE? I know Jon likes the song, but goddamn, it has no business being on that compilation.

Alphavictim 11-10-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259916)

Well, there was an US, Japanese and international version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greate...Bon_Jovi_album)

rokenrola 11-10-2019 06:59 PM

Everyday for sure,not only on GH but staple in every setlist on every tour,it is great rock song,not hard to sing and gives variety on playing solo in it.

Johny 11-11-2019 12:19 AM

I think Undivide should have been there. It wasn't a single but Blood On Blood wasn't one too (ok, it's got a video..). It would perfectly fit the second disc of GH.
If we speak about singles - definitely Everyday. It was on the radios even in my country. I remember hearing it for the first time at an outdoor swimming pool in summer of 2002.

eddie73 11-11-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_d (Post 1259918)
In the UK I'm pretty sure TAALS was by far the biggest TD song, from memory it was in the top 10 selling singles from BJ, whilst no other TD song was.

These Days had 4 singles that went top 10, only Hey god didn't ( 13 )

Butters 11-11-2019 11:50 PM

For a greatest hits, it has to be either Everyday or Misunderstood. I'd personally vote for the former. It was quite a big hit in Ireland/UK/Europe so I'm surprised it didn't make it on to Disc 2. It's a pity that all albums weren't represented.

james_d 11-12-2019 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie73 (Post 1259938)
These Days had 4 singles that went top 10, only Hey god didn't ( 13 )

That's not what I'm saying, I'm talking about the top 20 selling BJ singles in the UK, not the ones that made the UK top 10 etc

Supersonic 11-12-2019 08:09 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1259920)
Yeah, sure. It's catchy, almost power pop, and it works for the band. Then again, I like Gutterflower era Goo Goo Dolls, which this song pretty much sounds like.

Yeah, it's probably why I don't like it. Back then there were several guitar bands rising up in the USA and none of them did anything for me. It feels whiny and instantly forgettable and lacks punch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1259920)
Were there any album tracks on the 2CD version of the Greatest Hits? I guess Tokyo Road sorta counts, but then again, that was not on the Western version. Also, was Lost Highway (the song) a hit ANYWHERE? I know Jon likes the song, but goddamn, it has no business being on that compilation.

Disc 2 is just an excuse to cram the other half of what was then the current setlist on there. At least half of what's on Disc 2 wasn't a greatest hit anywhere, really and adding fan favourites on a Greatest Hits is idiotic anyway.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

polevka 11-12-2019 01:41 PM

Clearly Everyday.

If you take chart position as an important criteria, Greatest Hits should have included:

You Give Love A Bad Name
Livin’ On A Prayer
Wanted Dead Or Alive
Bad Medicine
Born To Be My Baby
I’ll Be There For You
Lay Your Hands On Me
Keep The Faith
Bed Of Roses
In These Arms
Always
Someday I’ll Be Saturday Night
This Ain’t A Love Song
Something For The Pain
Lie To Me

These Days
It’s My Life
One Wild Night
Everyday

Have A Nice Day
Who Says You Can’t Go Home
(You Want To) Make A Memory
We Weren’t Born To Follow

Runaway [because of the band’s history]

This makes 24 songs.
And possibly:

Living In Sin
Never Say Goodbye
Dry County
Hey God
Say It Isn’t So
Thank You For Loving Me
All About Loving You

Source (creates an North America, Europe+UK, Australia view on this):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bon_Jovi_discography

Personally I don't have a problem with Something For The Pain missing.

YOVANAfromPeru 11-13-2019 01:40 AM

Easy... Undivided! Which was "something that's universal" (as always).

Captain_jovi 11-13-2019 06:04 AM

Undivided wasn't a single and has no business being on this release but then again so does a good chunk of disc 2.

Jovi98 11-13-2019 07:26 AM

Bounce is one of their better album (in my opinion), it was also influenced in part from 9/11 and there isn't songs from that album in the GH...., I can't realize that, not even after 9 years...

Johny 11-13-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259961)
Undivided wasn't a single and has no business being on this release but then again so does a good chunk of disc 2.

And that's why it should have been there :P

I mean, do you guys make a difference if the album is The Greatest Hits or The Best Of? I don't.
Even though I know that GH should be compiled of songs that charted the best. In such case, it definitely should reflect the markets. A bunch of songs will be same everywhere. And also - do you the charts dictate it all? Because it might happen that there will be no new song because the old ones all did much better.
On the other hand The best Of should be a compilation of just the best song, meaning not only singles but also fan favourites and live favourites?

Captain_jovi 11-13-2019 02:30 PM

"Best of" is completely subjective. Best of to who? The label? The fans? The people who hate ballads? The people that hate the rock songs? At least Greatest Hits has quantifiable data to back it up. Most of the songs on both discs were physically released with promo videos so it's easier to give it a pass. For as much as it tanked I still feel like more people would know Lost Highway over Undivided and it deserves to be there versus songs on albums not released at all.

bonjovi90 11-13-2019 02:49 PM

Lost Highway doesn't deserve to be anywhere - neither setlists nor GH tracklists :mrgreen:

JackieBlue 11-13-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1259966)
Lost Highway doesn't deserve to be anywhere - neither setlists nor GH tracklists :mrgreen:

Totally, totally, totally disagree!:mrgreen:
Okay... I might agree that it could take a break from setlists; but that's just because Jon ain't got good quittin' sense when it comes to wearing some songs out. Especially when they include perhaps his favorite of all the lines he's ever written. Maybe if the Patron Saint of Lonely Souls would tell that boy which way to go, he'd temporarily lose it on the way. :D

WILDJOVIMAN 11-13-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1259966)

Jon hates you !! :-) LOL

Faceman 11-13-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDJOVIMAN (Post 1259968)
Jon hates you !! :-) LOL

But he's right anyway :D

Lost Highway just sucks.

polevka 11-13-2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1259969)
Lost Highway just sucks.

I'm more with JackieBlue on this topic. I don't think I could name 10 songs that have been released since then which I clearly prefer.

bonjovi90 11-13-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polevka (Post 1259970)
I'm more with JackieBlue on this topic. I don't think I could name 10 songs that have been released since then which I clearly prefer.

Maybe I've just grown to hate it since it gets shoved down people's throats in a similar vein as Captain Crash. And it was one of the most dreadful performances this year in Munich, maybe only lowered by Bad Medicine (and that's saying a lot).
Maybe I just didn't really like it from the beginning since I can live easily with Whole Lot of Leavin' which roughly gets the same treatment in terms of being put onto setlists.

polevka 11-13-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1259971)
Maybe I've just grown to hate it since it gets shoved down people's throats in a similar vein as Captain Crash. And it was one of the most dreadful performances this year in Munich, maybe only lowered by Bad Medicine (and that's saying a lot).

This I can completely understand. I'm even able to grow tired of songs I really like. Just glad that this feeling usually doesn't last forever.

rolo_tomachi 11-13-2019 09:04 PM

What makes me angry is that he replaced Just Older for Lost Highway. That sucks, because I never got tired of listening to Just Older during 2000-2006 and Jon stopped playing it because of the fault of Lost Highway. I could be happy with Just Older into the set list for life.

Captain_jovi 11-13-2019 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1259973)
What makes me angry is that he replaced Just Older for Lost Highway. That sucks, because I never got tired of listening to Just Older during 2000-2006 and Jon stopped playing it because of the fault of Lost Highway. I could be happy with Just Older into the set list for life.

Curious, what are you basing that on that that exact decision was made?

bonjovi90 11-14-2019 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259974)
Curious, what are you basing that on that that exact decision was made?

I don't think it can be backed up by hard facts, but I get rolo's logic in this case. Ever since its introduction onto the setlists in 2000, Just Older switched from a regular to a semi-regular, depending on the tour and on the subsequent leg. After the Lost Highway tour, when the title track got moved from the opening slot into the "beloved" LH/WLOL combo (2009), Just Older immediately vanished into the rarity status and fell into oblivion after that tour.

Captain_jovi 11-14-2019 02:20 AM

Hah, I guess I never really....picked up on that! I don't think it was quite that intentionally linked but they're both mid tempo songs with a lot of acoustic guitar so maybe! I could never blame that song for taking away JO. Just feel like they got tired of it. Especially without Richie there.

bonjovi90 11-14-2019 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259976)
Especially without Richie there.

I don't think it's even been played since Richie's departure, but I may be wrong here since there was still the occasional odd performance of a rare tune in Europe 2013...

Faceman 11-14-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1259977)
I don't think it's even been played since Richie's departure, but I may be wrong here since there was still the occasional odd performance of a rare tune in Europe 2013...

The touring page you're advertising for in your signature has pretty detailed statistics about each tour :D
The last time Just Older got played was in Barcelona, Spain on July 27, 2011.

Alphavictim 11-14-2019 02:02 PM

While it is not one of my absolute favs, I like Just Older. Lost Highway is... well it's not great at all. It's better than stuff like The More Things Change, but I'd much rather have Just Older.

By the way, I feel like The Circle is when they really started releasing the "radio pop rock stuff" as actual singles. Stuff like Just Older might have been just that, but it was not a single. But What Do You Got? was one. Born To Follow was one. Saturday Night Gave Me... was one (written during the TC timeframe, and it shows). Although I guess Someday I'll Be Saturday Night also has a pretty adult contemporary Bryan Adams-ish soft rock sound to it. Still, curious thing. Misunderstood too, but that wasn't the first single.

Captain_jovi 11-14-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1259977)

That's more so what I mean. I'm not saying the second verse is the reason it's not been played since but I think that has more to do with it than Lost Highway taking its place.

rolo_tomachi 11-14-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259981)
That's more so what I mean. I'm not saying the second verse is the reason it's not been played since but I think that has more to do with it than Lost Highway taking its place.

What I mean is that before, Just Older almost always was played in each show, until arrive Lost Highway.

In the last 10 years, Just Older has been played with drops, and is no longer a basic song of the setlists.

Maybe it had to happen, but damn it, this one was so great at shows... and before was basic on the setlists.

Faceman 11-14-2019 09:02 PM

To get some figures around here:
Bounce Tour: 83 Shows / 72 times played - number of different songs played (incl. covers): 61
Have A Nice Day Tour: 88 / 47 - 73
Lost Highway Tour: 99 / 34 - 100
The Circle Tour: 83 / 5 - 95
Live 2011: 59 / 9 - 102
Because We Can Tour: 103 / 0 - 90

I think it's a mix of different reasons.
First of all the number of albums to pick the songs for the setlist raised each tour (of course).
With the Lost Highway tour the band started to vary the setlists much more than the tours before.
And I also think that it's a vocal issue as well. Just listen to the early versions and compare it to the latest versions. Jon struggles with the chorus and uses a different kind of emphasis to make it through the chorus.
On the studio and early live versions he sings the way it's supposed to be: "It's noooooot ooooold" with the long note on the "not" and a slightly longer note on the old.
On later version he sang "It's not ooold" with only a slightly longer note on the old so that he had more breathe for "just ooooooldeeeerrr". And later on even left out the "just" and only sang "oooldeeeer".
So I think that might be one of the main reasons to get rid of it more and more.
I don't think it has something to do with Richie. There'd be a whole lot of other songs he wouldn't play for that reason either (Blood On Blood, Whole Lot Of Leavin', I'll Be There For You [ok, at least a hit]...).

Captain_jovi 11-14-2019 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1259983)
To get some figures around here:
Bounce Tour: 83 Shows / 72 times played - number of different songs played (incl. covers): 61
Have A Nice Day Tour: 88 / 47 - 73
Lost Highway Tour: 99 / 34 - 100
The Circle Tour: 83 / 5 - 95
Live 2011: 59 / 9 - 102
Because We Can Tour: 103 / 0 - 90

I think it's a mix of different reasons.
First of all the number of albums to pick the songs for the setlist raised each tour (of course).
With the Lost Highway tour the band started to vary the setlists much more than the tours before.
And I also think that it's a vocal issue as well. Just listen to the early versions and compare it to the latest versions. Jon struggles with the chorus and uses a different kind of emphasis to make it through the chorus.
On the studio and early live versions he sings the way it's supposed to be: "It's noooooot ooooold" with the long note on the "not" and a slightly longer note on the old.
On later version he sang "It's not ooold" with only a slightly longer note on the old so that he had more breathe for "just ooooooldeeeerrr". And later on even left out the "just" and only sang "oooldeeeer".
So I think that might be one of the main reasons to get rid of it more and more.
I don't think it has something to do with Richie. There'd be a whole lot of other songs he wouldn't play for that reason either (Blood On Blood, Whole Lot Of Leavin', I'll Be There For You [ok, at least a hit]...).

Damn! A lot of great points I didn't consider. Thinking of Just Older as a song harder for him to sing really is something else but I think you're right.

BJFan99 11-14-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259985)
Damn! A lot of great points I didn't consider. Thinking of Just Older as a song harder for him to sing really is something else but I think you're right.

Trust me, it's not an easy song to sing. The chorus is not THAT high, but it still was somewhat above Jon's post-2003 comfort zone in range and would probably be almost impossible for him to sing nowadays.