Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Gun and Skunk Anansie reformed (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=48333)

crashed 05-29-2009 01:46 PM

Gun and Skunk Anansie reformed

I doubt anyone will care about this but just found it interesting that the two support bands from my first ever Bon Jovi show in 1996 have reformed.

Skunk Anansie, who I didn't like when I saw them, but then they grew on me afterwards.

And the scottish band Gun, though I think they've now got a different singer than when I saw them support Jovi. And they were f'ing brilliant, by the way.

Iceman 05-29-2009 02:30 PM

Gun is great. Or was great, not sure how they sound now. The last album was complete crap. And Mark Rankin had a great sound, not so sure about Toby Jepson, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt, if I could get my hands on some new material. I have the first 3 albums, the first two are brilliant (esp. Gallus) and Swagger is so so, but the cryptic number album was horrible.

Skunk Anansie had that one good song (Hedonims?) but I really don't know if they did anything else that was worth mentioning.

Ice

BeExcellent 05-29-2009 02:32 PM

I just can't imagine anyone having been waiting around for Skunk Anansie to reform. They had a striking image and a few decent songs, but were always a better idea than they were in practice. Too aloof. Too educational. Too trying-to-shock-for-the-****ing-sake-of-it.

I don't think they aged well (they had gotten boring by the end of their career), and mid-nineties Brit Rock was my so my thing.

Did Gun ever actually split up? Makes sense that they're still around, there will always be a quiet, dedicated audience for melodic r&r. Toby Jepson from Little Angels is fronting now.

THERE's a band i'd kill to see again!

Thierry 05-29-2009 02:33 PM

About Skunk Anansie; Hedonism was their biggest hit together with Weak, Brazen and Charlie's Big Potato.

BeExcellent 05-29-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 923227)
not so sure about Toby Jepson

Because you don't know him or you don't like him?

He's a first class singer and a first class front man. He absolutely has it.

BeExcellent 05-29-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry (Post 923229)
About Skunk Anansie; Hedonism was their biggest hit together with Weak, Brazen and Charlie's Big Potato.

They actually were a little annoying, weren't they?

crashed 05-29-2009 02:38 PM

Just found out on See Tickets Gun are actually playing in Edinburgh tomorrow night. Trying to persuade my wife to go and see them, but she's sick...sigh.

I thought Swagger was a really good album. Didn't realise their new singer was the guy from the Little Angels. Maybe that'll persuade the wife - she saw them support Jovi at MK.

Iceman 05-29-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeExcellent (Post 923230)
Because you don't know him or you don't like him?

He's a first class singer and a first class front man. He absolutely has it.

I didn't think Little Angles were that good. And I loved Mark Rankin's voice, so I'll have to hear Toby do the old songs before I say anything.

Ice

crashed 05-29-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 923235)
I didn't think Little Angles were that good. And I loved Mark Rankin's voice, so I'll have to hear Toby do the old songs before I say anything.

Ice

Agreed. Mark Rankin was also a great frontman. Only Jovi support act I've ever saw have the whole stadium bouncing before the main band. But maybe that had something to do with it being a Glasgow band and the gig being in Glasgow too.

Those were the days when Jovi actually had decent support.

Captain Walrus 05-29-2009 11:46 PM

I really like Skunk Anansie. I was contemplating going to see them, I wonder if tickets are still available ... ?