Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Crush (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=39103)

jbjrsdc 03-07-2007 06:36 AM

Crush
 
is a solid release but does rank towards the bottom of bon Jovi releases. It really had the potential to be one of the best, based on the quality b-sides for crush and considering they wrote/demoed 60 songs. about 30 of which we still haven't heard.

Thank you For Loving me should have been replaced by Stay
Next 100 years should have been replaced by Ordinary People
I Got The Girl should have been replaced by Ain't No Cure For Love

Stay, Ordinary People, and Ain't No Cure For Love are 3 of the best songs Jovi have ever done.

in the off chance devil'sson opens this thread I apologize if this should have been posted in another thread. thank you

DevilsSon 03-07-2007 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbjrsdc (Post 728692)
in the off chance devil'sson opens this thread I apologize if this should have been posted in another thread. thank you


ok, this is a good one :d

what is irritating me, is the tone of your posts. you say it as if that's how things are and there's no other possibility.
I would never replace Next 100 Years. It's in my opinion the best song on the record and one of the few reasons I still play that album from time to time. Ordinary People on the other hand is a mediocre pop song with Beatles influences. I'm glad they skipped it. Bout the other 2, I agree.

kiddSambo 03-07-2007 09:21 AM

Yeah, I agree with the others, but would never replace Next 100 Years, least of all with Ordinary People

JoviForever 03-07-2007 11:43 AM

Why make posts with what are rather random statements? They aren't even written as if it's a discussion, just your opinion.
I think most fans that have been around pre-Crush would agree that it was their weakest since 7800. It's only new fans that wetted themsleves over It's My Life that think Crush is a work of genius!

fannorway 03-07-2007 12:35 PM

All my friends love STAY. This song should really be on the album.

Dave 1986 03-07-2007 12:44 PM

Those 3 b-sides you mentioned, yes are quite good, but are not some the best songs the band have ever written. OK, they're probably better than the ones you say should have been replaced.

To be honest I don't think any sort of song rearranging or replacing on Crush would make any real difference to how good the record would have been. I don't dislike it, and never have, but I just have always found it a bit too bland. I always preferred Bounce over Crush.

midnite ridah 03-07-2007 12:54 PM

i thought ordinary people was written for these days??

Living_on_my_Hair 03-07-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnite ridah (Post 728744)
i thought ordinary people was written for these days??


So did I actually. Or was it 'Drive'?

Both anyway are very bland.

andi

Captain_jovi 03-07-2007 05:06 PM

Drive was for D.A

And O.P was NOT from These Days. I have lost many nights sleep over figuring it out. I made a post about it, I'm sure. I just will not let anyone tell me any different.

midnite ridah 03-07-2007 05:12 PM

Jon says it from these days

watch the DVD that came with 100,000,000

haveaniceday 03-07-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 728712)
ok, this is a good one :d

what is irritating me, is the tone of your posts. you say it as if that's how things are and there's no other possibility.
I would never replace Next 100 Years. It's in my opinion the best song on the record and one of the few reasons I still play that album from time to time. Ordinary People on the other hand is a mediocre pop song with Beatles influences. I'm glad they skipped it. Bout the other 2, I agree.

Next 100 years is def. the best song on the album in my opinion. Actually, its my favorite Bon Jovi song.

Alphavictim 03-07-2007 06:22 PM

Next 100 Years is good. The fun of it wore of pretty quickly, but it's still better than most of the songs on the album. And I like Thank You. It's cheesy, but it's a good song. However, Say It Isn't So, Save The World, I Got The Girl, She's A Mystery (to a lesser extent, though) are all filler.

JoviForever 03-07-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 728842)
Next 100 Years is good. The fun of it wore of pretty quickly, but it's still better than most of the songs on the album. And I like Thank You. It's cheesy, but it's a good song. However, Say It Isn't So, Save The World, I Got The Girl, She's A Mystery (to a lesser extent, though) are all filler.


I always though 100 Years was a bad attempt at trying to make an epic like Dry Country. To me the solo is there for the sake of it and really dosent' add to the song.
I think my favourites are Neurotica, Mystery Train and Just Older. The rest really does nothing for me.

Rob 03-07-2007 09:01 PM

I think half the album was fantastic. Songs such as IML, Just Older, Next 100 Years, OWN, Say It Isn't So, Neurotica (even though it didn't make the main release) are good songs. It's just a shame about the other half which is pretty much mush!

Alphavictim 03-07-2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoviForever (Post 728873)
To me the solo is there for the sake of it and really dosent' add to the song.

I wouldn't really go that far, but considering how long it is, it's really nothing special, yeah. I prefer both the One (Undivided demo) and HAND solos to it.

Captain_jovi 03-08-2007 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnite ridah (Post 728812)
Jon says it from these days

watch the DVD that came with 100,000,000

Jon could say the song is from 7800, and I'd STILL say Crush. I'll link you to the discussion we had about it. There is no way it's from T.D. He also said Why aren't you dead was from Crush on the dvd, it doesn't mean we all have to beleive it, I'm well aware what was said on the dvd.

Sorry, this is just one of those "I'm positive on this one but the band is saying otherwise" deals.

jbjrsdc 03-08-2007 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoviForever (Post 728873)
I always though 100 Years was a bad attempt at trying to make an epic like Dry Country.

I could not agree more. the song itself verse and chorus is fine, but it just drags on. Dry County is a classic!

DevilsSon 03-08-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoviForever (Post 728873)
I always though 100 Years was a bad attempt at trying to make an epic like Dry Country. To me the solo is there for the sake of it and really dosent' add to the song.
I think my favourites are Neurotica, Mystery Train and Just Older. The rest really does nothing for me.


How can it be an attempt to be an epic? What story does it tell? Just because it has a lengthy solo, it does not mean it is epic. Yeah, they probably tried to show off that they can do some progressive stuff. that doesn't mean they tried to re-write Dry County, which by the way, is an epic.

TheseDays2005 03-08-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbjrsdc (Post 728692)
Thank you For Loving me should have been replaced by Stay
Next 100 years should have been replaced by Ordinary People
I Got The Girl should have been replaced by Ain't No Cure For Love

Stay, Ordinary People, and Ain't No Cure For Love are 3 of the best songs Jovi have ever done.

Weren't you the one saying 'I believe' should not have been on KTF?

And now you are saying next 100 years, the only decent song on crush shouldn't been there...

And then you are saying those 2 songs are the best Jovi have ever done. Have you ever listened to any pre 2000 record more then twice?

If you did then,

I really like to know what your on and where you got it from...

TheseDays2005 03-08-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 728924)
Jon could say the song is from 7800, and I'd STILL say Crush. I'll link you to the discussion we had about it. There is no way it's from T.D. He also said Why aren't you dead was from Crush on the dvd, it doesn't mean we all have to beleive it, I'm well aware what was said on the dvd.

OD is definitaly from Crush

And about everything, if you believe Jon then your a fool

jbjrsdc 03-09-2007 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheseDays2005 (Post 729082)
Weren't you the one saying 'I believe' should not have been on KTF?

what of it? I enjoy the song, but it is my least fav on KTF, favs are Dry County, If I was Your Mother, Fear, Blame it on the love of rock n roll, I want You. It really is a great disc 11/10.

jbjrsdc 03-09-2007 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheseDays2005 (Post 729082)
And now you are saying next 100 years, the only decent song on crush shouldn't been there...

it's an okay track.

jbjrsdc 03-09-2007 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheseDays2005 (Post 729082)
And then you are saying those 2 songs are the best Jovi have ever done.

IMO Stay is one of the best ballads Bon Jovi have ever done. Ain't no Cure for love is a great rocker. Ordianary People is melodic gem.

jbjrsdc 03-09-2007 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheseDays2005 (Post 729082)
Have you ever listened to any pre 2000 record more then twice?

I had a great laugh @ this one. I've been enjoying the music of Bon Jovi for just over 20 years. an infinite # of times I've listend to Slippery, New Jersey, Keep The Faith, and These Days. Even their first two discs I find solid and have spun them numerous times. All my school desks, books, binders, had Bon Jovi #1 written on them.

jbjrsdc 03-09-2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheseDays2005 (Post 729082)
I really like to know what your on and where you got it from...

I do need to do a better job of mixing my medications:D

Captain_jovi 03-09-2007 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheseDays2005 (Post 729083)
OD is definitaly from Crush

And about everything, if you believe Jon then your a fool

That's WAY harsh. Believing him is one thing, but refuting everything he says because of some vendetta you have against him is another. Every now and then he's wrong, but who isn't.

And for the record, Stay is a Jon solo song, not a band track. Just saying, is all...

jbjrsdc 03-09-2007 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 729275)
And for the record, Stay is a Jon solo song, not a band track. Just saying, is all...

techinally yes, Jon did bring in 30 songs from his scraped solo disc for the album that would become crush. some are in bootleg form, some made Crush , some are b-sides, and some are on the boxset. IMO Stay was released under the Bon Jovi moniker, it is a crush b-side; and sounds very much like a classic Bon Jovi ballad. IMO If it had been deemed worthy enough by Jon it would have been put on Crush; and stayed pretty much the same as we know it today. Jon also had most of Keep the Faith written prior to the band getting back togehter; after the first hiatus. Jon is the primary person that drives the band.

TheseDays2005 03-09-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 729275)
That's WAY harsh. Believing him is one thing, but refuting everything he says because of some vendetta you have against him is another. Every now and then he's wrong, but who isn't.

And for the record, Stay is a Jon solo song, not a band track. Just saying, is all...

Well ok then, let me re-phrase.

You should always question everything Jon's says.

Better? :)

Edwin 03-09-2007 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbjrsdc (Post 729266)
it's an okay track.

Indeed, it's okay, but nothing really special.

Cross Road 03-09-2007 02:56 PM

Honestly, I liked all of Crush. The only song I would of replaced is Next 100 Years. The rest of Crush was pretty good. Next 100 Years was just the only one that didn't stick out to me like the rest.

Captain_jovi 03-09-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbjrsdc (Post 729278)
techinally yes, Jon did bring in 30 songs from his scraped solo disc for the album that would become crush. some are in bootleg form, some made Crush , some are b-sides, and some are on the boxset. IMO Stay was released under the Bon Jovi moniker, it is a crush b-side; and sounds very much like a classic Bon Jovi ballad. IMO If it had been deemed worthy enough by Jon it would have been put on Crush; and stayed pretty much the same as we know it today. Jon also had most of Keep the Faith written prior to the band getting back togehter; after the first hiatus. Jon is the primary person that drives the band.

I'm well aware of this. My gut tells me Hush, Stay, and You can't lose at love where never possibilites for the record, or else they'd of gone the way off "Older" and been re-recorded by the full band.

Stay DOES sound like the classic Jovi ballad but the fact remains, it's not a band song.

midnite ridah 03-09-2007 05:49 PM

so are you saying that all three songs were JBJ solo, are we talking about a third album that never happened , cos they don't sound very DA



P.S i can't find the discussion on ordinary people

Captain_jovi 03-09-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnite ridah (Post 729380)
so are you saying that all three songs were JBJ solo, are we talking about a third album that never happened , cos they don't sound very DA



P.S i can't find the discussion on ordinary people

I'm saying that the b-sides from Crush, some of them were Jon solo songs for his proposed 3rd solo album. It's not clear if it was for a new solo album or the next band album, but the band, minus Jon of course, don't play on Hush, You can't lose at love and Stay. I don't THINK there were others but the box set has quite a few songs Richie and the boys had nothing to do with.

http://www.drycounty.com/jovitalk/sh...rdinary+people was the place we mostly talked about it.

kiddSambo 03-09-2007 10:48 PM

I could swear I hear Richie on "Stay", but I guess it's Bobby B?

Living_on_my_Hair 03-09-2007 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiddSambo (Post 729542)
I could swear I hear Richie on "Stay", but I guess it's Bobby B?

I saw an online Q&A with richie where someone asked him about 'Stay' and he said he'd never heard of it.

I guess thats that then.


andi

Captain_jovi 03-09-2007 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiddSambo (Post 729542)
I could swear I hear Richie on "Stay", but I guess it's Bobby B?

I spent a few years believing the backing vocals WERE Richie. Naw, it must be Bobby.]

EDIT: Found it

onelight_uk: PLEAAAAASSSEEEE ask just one of my questions. Richie I love the
track Stay how come it didn't make Crush it is absolutely brilliant as everything you guys do is
Love ya heaps by the way.
richie_sambora_live: I'm sorry, I don't even remember it. Bon Jovi has written & recorded so
many songs, I'm havind a hard time recalling that particular track.
richie_sambora_live: But thank you anyway..

Not that this changes anything, all you have to do is compare the released version of stay, or any of the songs I mentioned, with the boot from the late 90's and you'll hear what I mean.

kiddSambo 03-10-2007 01:01 AM

Ah, OK, thanks for that

TheseDays2005 03-11-2007 12:45 AM

I actually like Hush a lot. It is one of the best post-2000 songs for me, shame they didn't worked that one out. on the other hand, that wouldn't have been a guarantee for better version...

Crushgen24/88 03-18-2007 08:53 AM

Honestly, I love Crush.
To me, the only songs that are any kind of weak are "I Got the Girl", and "She's a Mystery"

Dave 1986 07-22-2020 09:54 PM

Another necro’d thread for another of Jon’s 1 minute reviews;

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CC89MrH...d=eewpvg6uv7el

Crush is 20 years old this year and he’s still very fond of the album and acknowledged its poppier sound but I was amazed that he listed “She’s a Mystery” amongst his favourites. I’ve always liked the song myself although a lot of people here don’t.

I’ve always had a funny relationship with this album. It was my first Bon Jovi album, had it for my 14th Birthday the year it was released. There are some great songs and some weak ones. Sometimes I love playing it and other time’s I just don’t really care for it.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.