Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Alec's singing (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70047)

DavetheGodofKeys 07-04-2017 08:59 PM

Alec's singing

Why does alec sing in falsetto in songs like Bad name and Keep the faith?

Captain_jovi 07-04-2017 09:01 PM

I don't know what kind of answer you're expecting here.

rokuli 07-04-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavetheGodofKeys (Post 1225820)
Why does alec sing in falsetto in songs like Bad name and Keep the faith?

Because Jon cant reach the highs....and together they match!

http://i.imgur.com/C7rLDhU.jpg

(and in all seriousness: that must've just grown to be his trademark....I dont hate/love it, but its definitely part of the bands 80s/early 90s live sound...!)

DryCounty 07-04-2017 09:36 PM

Talking about Alec's singing. It's well known that he doesn't play on any album Slippery and forward, but how is it with his vocals? Did he sing any backing vocals on Slippery, New Jersey and KTF? Has that question ever been brought up in any form of interview ?

DavetheGodofKeys 07-04-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1225823)
Talking about Alec's singing. It's well known that he doesn't play on any album Slippery and forward, but how is it with his vocals? Did he sing any backing vocals on Slippery, New Jersey and KTF? Has that question ever been brought up in any form of interview ?

I'm sure I hear his backing vocals in Runaway, Bad Name, and Prayer.

Captain_jovi 07-04-2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavetheGodofKeys (Post 1225826)
I'm sure I hear his backing vocals in Runaway, Bad Name, and Prayer.

Alec wasn't even in the band when Runaway was recorded so I'd doubt it.

The vocals have never been brought up in interview because the bass playing really hasn't. He's never come out and admitted it and we only know the little we know from Hugh's blog and a few interviews he's done.

DavetheGodofKeys 07-04-2017 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1225827)
Alec wasn't even in the band when Runaway was recorded so I'd doubt it.

The vocals have never been brought up in interview because the bass playing really hasn't. He's never come out and admitted it and we only know the little we know from Hugh's blog and a few interviews he's done.

I thought Jon recorded Runaway before the band was formed and then re-recorded it when the band was formed?

DryCounty 07-05-2017 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavetheGodofKeys (Post 1225828)
I thought Jon recorded Runaway before the band was formed and then re-recorded it when the band was formed?

Nope, the Runaway version on the first album is the same as got him the record deal.

Walleris 07-05-2017 12:19 AM

I never understood that. It was tolerable (sometimes even good) in the 80s, but in the KTF tour it was just over the top whiny. You don't need screechy falsetto when Richie's there to sing proper harmonies.

bonjovi90 07-05-2017 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1225834)
I never understood that. It was tolerable (sometimes even good) in the 80s, but in the KTF tour it was just over the top whiny. You don't need screechy falsetto when Richie's there to sing proper harmonies.

Some SBD recordings of Bad Name on the KTF made me cringe. He was great singing in falsetto and was distinctively doing the "everybody needs somebody to love..." part live (can very well be heard on the Stockholm '93 recording), but his screeching on that one was over the top at the end:

I'm pretty sure he did backing vocals in the studio. He's not distinctively in the mix (but neither is David on most parts during that era), but I can hear him very well in Flesh and Bone.