Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   question about these days lyrics (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=29013)

Late 01-08-2005 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman
It is written with a capital S.

I've always seen that particular verse as a dig at the grunge bands, the depressing stuff that was coming out at that point. The fans took literally what the people were saying. Like Cobain who quoted Young in his suicide note "it's better to burn out than fade away". I don't think Jon agreed with it.

Ice

I never though of it that way. Hmh, going to have to listen to that song again.

jono 01-08-2005 10:57 PM

Hello

not been here for a while

jimmy Shoes was (a nickname) for an old producer (i think) of the band. jon mentioned it in an old Kerrang! magazine. I will try to dig it out for you.

Jono

spunkywho 01-08-2005 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jono
Hello

not been here for a while

jimmy Shoes was (a nickname) for an old producer (i think) of the band. jon mentioned it in an old Kerrang! magazine. I will try to dig it out for you.

Jono

not trying to be mean, but I really am wondering why people post on a topic without reading the previous replies - particularly when they are trying to add information (not just address some other reply).

tons of people do it and I never understood that :?

spunkywho 01-08-2005 11:19 PM

Quote:

It is written with a capital S.

I've always seen that particular verse as a dig at the grunge bands, the depressing stuff that was coming out at that point. The fans took literally what the people were saying. Like Cobain who quoted Young in his suicide note "it's better to burn out than fade away". I don't think Jon agreed with it.

Ice

people taking lyrics literal is a very common thing not at all grunge related. happens in the best of families......

and you are not seriously suggesting cobain killed himself because of somebody elses lyrics? :?

Iceman 01-09-2005 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spunkywho
people taking lyrics literal is a very common thing not at all grunge related. happens in the best of families......

I didn't say it was. I was talking about depressing lyrics in general and how I feel Jon didn't like them. And the TD is a dig at the people who wrote that kind of stuff.

Quote:

and you are not seriously suggesting cobain killed himself because of somebody elses lyrics? :?
Now where would you get that kind of an idea?

Ice

spunkywho 01-09-2005 11:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Now where would you get that kind of an idea?

Ice

just the way I read it - glad I was wrong :)

marimari 01-09-2005 11:39 PM

Thanks Becky, I didn't know that either. I figured that Jimmy Shoes was a name but did not know the significance.

Prayer87 01-11-2005 03:55 AM

These Days if my favorite album...i just love those depressing albums...seriously the song just kinda fits me perfectly like having the starts being out of reach and all those things...it's my comfort album :)

Prayer87 01-11-2005 03:58 AM

These Days if my favorite album...i just love those depressing albums...seriously the song just kinda fits me perfectly like having the starts being out of reach and all those things...it's my comfort album :)

Mis5y 01-11-2005 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prayer87

i really like these days as well, i love almost all of the songs on the album, except for diamond ring.

But about the 'stars being out of reach' thing, it actually sounded to me like (i got given that album and the lyric book was missing when i got it so im not 100% sure about what jon was singing, but anyways):

' these days the stars ain't out of reach/but these days there ain't no ladder out on the streets.'

so i think it's actually saying that you can still reach the stars but it'll be harder these days.

i think that sounds more like bon jovi cos their songs are mostly optimistic right?