Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   question about these days lyrics (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=29013)

Mis5y 01-05-2005 03:24 PM

question about these days lyrics

Hi all

can someone please explain to me what the underlined part mean?

Jimmy shoes busted both his legs, trying to learn to fly
From a second story window, he just jumped and closed his eyes
His mamma said he was crazy - he said mamma "I've got to try"
Don't you know that all my heroes died
And I guess I'd rather die than fade away

i've been wondering about that for a while, also, is this verse saying that jimmy commited suicide?

thanks

Becky 01-05-2005 03:45 PM

"busted both his legs" just means that he broke them. I think it's probably more figurative than about someone literally jumping out of the 2nd story window.

Jimmy Shoes is Jimmy Iovine's nickname, btw. And if that's meaningless to you, Jimmy Iovine is a producer and is on the Special Olympics committee with Jon. He's produced the A Very Special Christmas CDs and several specials including the Concert for New York after the terrorist attacks on 09-11. Jon was the first person he called when organizing the line up.

Becky

Mis5y 01-05-2005 04:27 PM

okay, thanks for the reply.
i know this sounds really stupid but the actual reason why i felt confused was beacuse for a long time, until i read your reply, i read the lyrics wrong.
i thought:
Jimmy shoes busted both his legs
was
jimmy('s) shoes busted both his legs
and i was thinking how the hell can someone's shoe break the wearer's leg. lol
well, maybe that's because i didn't know who jimmy shoes was. so thanks for that bit of information.

mis5y

~saz~ 01-05-2005 08:51 PM

I used to be confused about those lyrics too :P

And totally off-topic but i love your avatar Becky!

Becky 01-05-2005 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~saz~
And totally off-topic but i love your avatar Becky! [/color]

Thanks. That's my dog Banjo. He's half pomeranian and half chihuahua.

Becky

Martin 01-05-2005 11:51 PM

never understood that, too... thx becky :wink: "shoes" should be written with a capital "S" then.. (just like Soul- with a capital S :lol: )

Iceman 01-06-2005 12:02 AM

It is written with a capital S.

I've always seen that particular verse as a dig at the grunge bands, the depressing stuff that was coming out at that point. The fans took literally what the people were saying. Like Cobain who quoted Young in his suicide note "it's better to burn out than fade away". I don't think Jon agreed with it.

Ice

Mr. Saturday Night 01-06-2005 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman

I've always seen that particular verse as a dig at the grunge bands, the depressing stuff that was coming out at that point. The fans took literally what the people were saying. Like Cobain who quoted Young in his suicide note "it's better to burn out than fade away". I don't think Jon agreed with it.

Ice

That's the same interpretation I had of that verse. Esepcially the "better to burn out than fade away" line.

Rob 01-06-2005 09:07 PM

I just didn't know who Jimmy Shoes was. The following line tells you how he busted his legs though.

~saz~ 01-08-2005 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky
Quote:

And totally off-topic but i love your avatar Becky! [/color]

Thanks. That's my dog Banjo. He's half pomeranian and half chihuahua.

Becky

He's really cute!! :P

Late 01-08-2005 12:31 PM

Quote:

Ice

I never though of it that way. Hmh, going to have to listen to that song again.

jono 01-08-2005 11:57 PM

Hello

not been here for a while

jimmy Shoes was (a nickname) for an old producer (i think) of the band. jon mentioned it in an old Kerrang! magazine. I will try to dig it out for you.

Jono

spunkywho 01-09-2005 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jono
Hello

not been here for a while

jimmy Shoes was (a nickname) for an old producer (i think) of the band. jon mentioned it in an old Kerrang! magazine. I will try to dig it out for you.

Jono

not trying to be mean, but I really am wondering why people post on a topic without reading the previous replies - particularly when they are trying to add information (not just address some other reply).

tons of people do it and I never understood that :?

spunkywho 01-09-2005 12:19 AM

Quote:

Ice

people taking lyrics literal is a very common thing not at all grunge related. happens in the best of families......

and you are not seriously suggesting cobain killed himself because of somebody elses lyrics? :?

Iceman 01-09-2005 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spunkywho
people taking lyrics literal is a very common thing not at all grunge related. happens in the best of families......

I didn't say it was. I was talking about depressing lyrics in general and how I feel Jon didn't like them. And the TD is a dig at the people who wrote that kind of stuff.

Quote:

and you are not seriously suggesting cobain killed himself because of somebody elses lyrics? :?
Now where would you get that kind of an idea?

Ice

spunkywho 01-10-2005 12:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Now where would you get that kind of an idea?

Ice

just the way I read it - glad I was wrong :)

marimari 01-10-2005 12:39 AM

Thanks Becky, I didn't know that either. I figured that Jimmy Shoes was a name but did not know the significance.

Prayer87 01-11-2005 04:55 AM

These Days if my favorite album...i just love those depressing albums...seriously the song just kinda fits me perfectly like having the starts being out of reach and all those things...it's my comfort album :)

Prayer87 01-11-2005 04:58 AM

These Days if my favorite album...i just love those depressing albums...seriously the song just kinda fits me perfectly like having the starts being out of reach and all those things...it's my comfort album :)

Mis5y 01-11-2005 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prayer87

i really like these days as well, i love almost all of the songs on the album, except for diamond ring.

But about the 'stars being out of reach' thing, it actually sounded to me like (i got given that album and the lyric book was missing when i got it so im not 100% sure about what jon was singing, but anyways):

' these days the stars ain't out of reach/but these days there ain't no ladder out on the streets.'

so i think it's actually saying that you can still reach the stars but it'll be harder these days.

i think that sounds more like bon jovi cos their songs are mostly optimistic right?

~saz~ 01-12-2005 10:12 PM

My Guitar Lies Bleeding In My Arms is my comfort song 8)

Mis5y 01-14-2005 03:22 AM

something for the pain is my comfort song.

Aussie-Bopper 01-14-2005 04:44 AM

Hearts breakin' even :roll: afew memories from that song.

But definatly the best album! it was perfect in every form! Not to mention the concert at Wembley that they did for it on that tour!

~saz~ 01-14-2005 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie-Bopper
But definatly the best album! it was perfect in every form!

It was more perfect than perfection itself 8)

Iceman 01-14-2005 09:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie-Bopper

It was more perfect than perfection itself 8)

Boring, depressing and dull.

Ice

Stut 01-14-2005 10:10 PM

Quote:

Boring, depressing and dull.

Ice

But still the best.

Aussie-Bopper 01-15-2005 12:54 PM

Quote:

Aussie-Bopper wrote:

It was more perfect than perfection itself
Lol perfectly said :P