Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Jon's use of autotune? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69844)

Samdoyle1987 02-08-2017 07:36 PM

Jon's use of autotune?

When listening to "scars on this guitar" , I am pretty sure I hear autotune. Right when he says "I find the lights" I hear a robotic pitch shift. I don't know why he would do this, as he can sing it perfectly live, with no pitch issues. Am I imagining it? Also, in 2013, it seems that he may have used a pitch correcting microphone/soundboard filter to fix patchy vocals. Eg, listen to the chorus of this because we can tour version of these days.
https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=...?v=4xbboyqb0cY

_KaMi_ 02-08-2017 08:36 PM

I think nowadays pitch correction is used in every song in any album. It's faster that way. And the show from the video was streamed with some delay and they corrected some vocals, but Jon sang live.

Gadden 02-08-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samdoyle1987 (Post 1217457)
When listening to "scars on this guitar" , I am pretty sure I hear autotune. Right when he says "I find the lights" I hear a robotic pitch shift. I don't know why he would do this, as he can sing it perfectly live, with no pitch issues. Am I imagining it? Also, in 2013, it seems that he may have used a pitch correcting microphone/soundboard filter to fix patchy vocals. Eg, listen to the chorus of this because we can tour version of these days.
https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=...?v=4xbboyqb0cY

Hi,

Your link does not work, but if it is the New Jersey broadcast, it is pitch corrected. Pitch correction is used throughout that broadcast. It was not done live, it was added afterwards.

Cheers

Lampinen 02-09-2017 09:48 PM

Jon has probably used some pitch correction on records since it came available (since Crush), but it only became noticeable from Have a Nice Day onwards.
And yes, it is the scourge of our times, can't believe how many good singers utilise without any real reason. Since they are capable of delivering a perfect take in the studio. It ruins whole songs IMO.

Grantos1 02-10-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lampinen (Post 1217708)
Jon has probably used some pitch correction on records since it came available (since Crush), but it only became noticeable from Have a Nice Day onwards.
And yes, it is the scourge of our times, can't believe how many good singers utilise without any real reason. Since they are capable of delivering a perfect take in the studio. It ruins whole songs IMO.

100% agree, it's used more than ever now. Some current pop singers don't have great voices, so the pitch correction is used too much making their voices sound borderline robotic. It's the way things are going, yes it's been used forever, but there are singers out there that are very good and don't need it overdone.

jazzsta 02-10-2017 09:53 PM

Since the last posts generalized the discussion, I have a feeling that here is a good spot to place some off topic abstract piece of discourse.

I am wondering whether it is not the case, that big money who own the big media are content in promoting a degeneration of the general culture into precisely what they can from afar provide and dictate. Hence yes, anything that is human and in human scale gets bashed, in favor of some mass produced, flashy but simplistic in its core .. abuse.

No?

TheOriginalJez 02-10-2017 10:19 PM

I don't blame autotune I blame X Factor and American Idol. Those shows have taught people that the only way to sing good is to sing perfectly, not passionately. Now, when the technology is available, who wouldn't run it through a subtle autocorrect to avoid being told they can't sing by hordes of keyboard warriors?

Its use on the live show 'official recordings' is a little less forgivable though.

B.J. Always 02-11-2017 11:46 AM

I watched a YouTube that a guy did of a friend of his singing. She was awful. Then he did all his musical "magic" when she sang again and I swear it sounded wonderful! If you had just listened to the second time she sang, you would have wondered why a recording label hadn't signed her up.

It's my faith 02-11-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.J. Always (Post 1217927)
I watched a YouTube that a guy did of a friend of his singing. She was awful. Then he did all his musical "magic" when she sang again and I swear it sounded wonderful! If you had just listened to the second time she sang, you would have wondered why a recording label hadn't signed her up.

Can you share it?

DryCounty 02-12-2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grantos1 (Post 1217745)
100% agree, it's used more than ever now. Some current pop singers don't have great voices, so the pitch correction is used too much making their voices sound borderline robotic. It's the way things are going, yes it's been used forever, but there are singers out there that are very good and don't need it overdone.

Unfortunately that doesn't apply for Jon anymore.