Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Official JBJ live stream concert (in support of Hampton Water) thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70735)

KeepTheFaith2211 08-17-2020 12:58 PM

Absolutely can’t stand Brightside so a bit gutted he covered that!

Alphavictim 08-17-2020 02:16 PM

What the hell? I don't care if this was heavily processed or edited, but I only checked out Mr Brightside. Come the second verse, JBJ's voice sounded better than on any of the new tunes we'd heard. Whoever did the vocal production, whatever JBJ's routine during quarantine, by God, keep those around. I'm not gonna say he sounds as good as 10 years ago, but he sounds perfectly serviceable on that one.

And yes, I am aware that the verses of Mr Brightside are one note. Doesn't matter, the second pre-chorus and chorus are fine, too. Wow.

Butters 08-17-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1266343)
The sound of Jon's solo line-up is better than the band these days. He should stick to them and do these kind of acoustic shows. For God's sake, have him down a bottle of Hampton water for these gigs, he seems to lighten up with that. Was more enjoyable than any band activity since mid-2013 for me.

Agreed. Although I wonder how 'live' these performances really were.

Also, very weird that in a show like this, he didn't perform the current single (DWYCD) or any song off the new album.

bonjovi90 08-17-2020 03:13 PM

For the last 5-7 years, Jon has always sounded the worst when he had to sing his own songs.
In 2013, his voice had gone midway throug the tour and they did "It's Only Make Believe" somewhere in the US with him sounding nice.
In 2014, American Pie was good.
In 2017 or 2018, he sounded far better on Johnny B. Goode than on the rest of night.

I guess he's fallen into the habit of having sung his songs with so many (partly) wrong workarounds over the years that he hardly can get it right anymore. When he goes for songs where his mind doesn't have tons of patterns memorized, he's more at ease and sounding okay.

Butters 08-17-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1266356)
For the last 5-7 years, Jon has always sounded the worst when he had to sing his own songs.
In 2013, his voice had gone midway throug the tour and they did "It's Only Make Believe" somewhere in the US with him sounding nice.
In 2014, American Pie was good.
In 2017 or 2018, he sounded far better on Johnny B. Goode than on the rest of night.

I guess he's fallen into the habit of having sung his songs with so many (partly) wrong workarounds over the years that he hardly can get it right anymore. When he goes for songs where his mind doesn't have tons of patterns memorized, he's more at ease and sounding okay.

I think you are right, however, I think his sounding better on cover songs has more to do with picking songs that are within his available range. Could you imagine if he tried to sing Helter Skelter again? :)

So many of his own songs appear to be no longer within his vocal cababilities. I'd rather see him develop a setlist of songs including covers, songs from his own catalouge that he can still sing, and reworked versions of classics that fit with his current voice that he can deliver in a reasonably competent way as opposed to continuing the trend of the last seven years and making a mockery of songs that he can no longer sing.

jovifan93 08-18-2020 08:19 AM

I think you're both right, but it's more of what bonjovi90 said. Take Mr. Brightside for example, that one's not a whole lot lower than most BJ stuff, if at all (the chorus I mean, of course). And also the high notes used to be less of a problem in recent years for Jon, it's the middle ones, and from my own experience, those can be difficult, especially when your voice changes and the (muscle) memory gets in the way...

YOVANAfromPeru 08-21-2020 03:06 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFas...ature=youtu.be
-_-

faith1985 08-22-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1266384)

The violin in Bad Name was really cool...

LeaJovi 08-25-2020 09:51 PM

Who's the dude that appears singing with the product placement? Oh wait, watched without skipping and its his son? **** the dude looks like shit.

Anyway, enjoyable albeit heavily doctored fake-live performance. Not keen on this "much better vocals", he seems almost unable to speak properly even. Just check the beginning of WLOL, I can't help but think "What the hell happened to the voice?".

BJFan99 08-26-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeaJovi (Post 1266471)
Anyway, enjoyable albeit heavily doctored fake-live performance. Not keen on this "much better vocals", he seems almost unable to speak properly even. Just check the beginning of WLOL, I can't help but think "What the hell happened to the voice?".

I've believed for a long time that this thing isn't as simple as it may seem. Jon can't be dealing with vocal (chord) issues only. His breathing while attempting to sing has gotten so problematic, not forgetting the total loss of any real tone and power on his speaking and especially shouting voice, that I'm really starting to think he's struggling with something more severe than just a damaged voice box.

Be it cardio, pulmonary or respiratory health problems or partially even psychological stuff, the guy just isn't OK. He needs help.