Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Metallica... (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69618)

hardwired_70 11-01-2016 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesedays2014 (Post 1212861)
Great songs so far, the only thing that seems to be lacking is well-structured guitar solos. Still amazing if we compare them to another group we know very well who have their mew album out in 3 days [emoji23]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

True words. Like day and night

rokenrola 11-01-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardwired_70 (Post 1212895)
True words. Like day and night

metallica want to be like Iron Maiden but they cant,this album will be another banging just because they are Metallica,nothing special,they copy of themselves,just because they are hitting hard doesnt mean that this could be their best album since 1998,and compare them to Jovi is stupid but if you do compare them then do it in all areas and you will see Jovi win,numbers are bitches:cool:

semigoodlookin 11-01-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokenrola (Post 1212914)
metallica want to be like Iron Maiden but they cant,this album will be another banging just because they are Metallica,nothing special,they copy of themselves,just because they are hitting hard doesnt mean that this could be their best album since 1998,and compare them to Jovi is stupid but if you do compare them then do it in all areas and you will see Jovi win,numbers are bitches:cool:

That's a bit petty to be fair. I could throw a bunch of Metallica numbers at you that beat Bon Jovi's and I could do the same and throw some Bon Jovi numbers that beat Metallica's. What does that actually prove?

Firstly, comparing Bon Jovi with Metallica is a bit stupid, different bands with different fans and a different outlook. However, I suppose I could argue that the new songs show Metallica nodding to their thrash roots while still progressing their sound. I think most would admit that's what they would love Bon Jovi to do.

I like THINFS, but a call back to classic Jovi it is not. That said, Jon's mission is cleary different to Metallica's, so just because we expect something does not mean we should get it.

On another thread, it was suggested that Jon should look at Metallica to see how things are done. Like it or not, he doesn't need to. Whether you or I like the last 20 years, the band has been massive. Albums have sold well, tours have sold very well, and Jon has simply become part of the establishment.

It is also worth noting that if Jon followed Metallica's example, he would still be left with a number of average to terrible records. Metallica has pushed out some duds over the years too.

Also, be like Iron Maiden in what way? Sell less records, have less fans? I don't get it, they play different kinds of metal, I don't see Metallica seeking the kind of soaring (dare I say, almost prog and power metal) that Iron Maiden does. I am fans of both bands and just don't see Metallica copying Maiden.

rokenrola 11-01-2016 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1212921)
That's a bit petty to be fair. I could throw a bunch of Metallica numbers at you that beat Bon Jovi's and I could do the same and throw some Bon Jovi numbers that beat Metallica's. What does that actually prove?

Firstly, comparing Bon Jovi with Metallica is a bit stupid, different bands with different fans and a different outlook. However, I suppose I could argue that the new songs show Metallica nodding to their thrash roots while still progressing their sound. I think most would admit that's what they would love Bon Jovi to do.

I like THINFS, but a call back to classic Jovi it is not. That said, Jon's mission is cleary different to Metallica's, so just because we expect something does not mean we should get it.

On another thread, it was suggested that Jon should look at Metallica to see how things are done. Like it or not, he doesn't need to. Whether you or I like the last 20 years, the band has been massive. Albums have sold well, tours have sold very well, and Jon has simply become part of the establishment.

It is also worth noting that if Jon followed Metallica's example, he would still be left with a number of average to terrible records. Metallica has pushed out some duds over the years too.

Also, be like Iron Maiden in what way? Sell less records, have less fans? I don't get it, they play different kinds of metal, I don't see Metallica seeking the kind of soaring (dare I say, almost prog and power metal) that Iron Maiden does. I am fans of both bands and just don't see Metallica copying Maiden.

it proves that Jovi is bigger band worldwide(sell more records,sell more tour tickets etc.) so compare two largely different bands is stupid,I love Maiden,Metallica,Whitesnake,Van Halen,Aerosmith,Europe etc but I dont compare them to Jovi,they are all different bands.
Metallica do little copy of Maidens(they have huge fan base,they sell little but they are live legends) with the way of playing,they try to be more melodic, because Maidens are much better players in every way than Metallica!

semigoodlookin 11-01-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokenrola (Post 1212924)
it proves that Jovi is bigger band worldwide(sell more records,sell more tour tickets etc.)

Metallica do little copy of Maidens(they have huge fan base,they sell little but they are live legends) with the way of playing,they try to be more melodic, because Maidens are much better players in every way than Metallica!

This is all debatable, even the part about sales.

However, I totally agree that comparing Bon Jovi with Metallica is stupid, but so is comparing Metallica with Maiden.

thesedays2014 11-01-2016 06:24 PM

Metallica...

Yep, let's not compare bands that are totally different [emoji23]. There may be Maiden influences in some Tallica tunes, but that's it...
Personally I like what the new Tallica record sounds like, find Jovi's latest their worst ever (listening to Power Station demos in the last couple of days...I find the lyrics and musicianship more mature than THINFS) and am not a great fan of Maiden but love their live shows and agree they are legends, as are Metallica...don't think Jovi are though, although they are still my favourite band [emoji4]

rokenrola 11-01-2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1212926)
This is all debatable, even the part about sales.

However, I totally agree that comparing Bon Jovi with Metallica is stupid, but so is comparing Metallica with Maiden.

what is debatable?salea? lets debate! who sold more?BJ which tours are more seeing?BJ who cross the line of 1 Billion with Stones,U2,Springsteen,Madona?BJ
what bend have the most concerts playing in stadiums(calculated by Japanese)?BJ
Metallica and Maiden are more similar than Metallica and Jovi,so they can be compared

semigoodlookin 11-01-2016 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesedays2014 (Post 1212927)
Yep, let's not compare bands that are totally different [emoji23]. There may be Maiden influences in some Tallica tunes, but that's it...
Personally I like what the new Tallica record sounds like, find Jovi's latest their worst ever (listening to Power Station demos in the last couple of days...I find the lyrics and musicianship more mature than THINFS) and am not a great fan of Maiden but love their live shows and agree they are legends, as are Metallica...don't think Jovi are though, although they are still my favourite band [emoji4]

I don't think Maiden is a music legend either. A metal legend for sure, but they never really crossed over enough to be considered major legends of music in general.

Metallica did cross over enough to be classed as outright legends I think. As for Bon Jovi, I am not sure, they certainly crossed over and JBJ is probably more famous than most singers. I would say they are the best known of these three bands, but no, I agree, not legends in terms of music.

rokenrola 11-01-2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesedays2014 (Post 1212927)

your favourite band but you think THINFS is their worst album!
and you like what Metallica album sounds because its hard
bon jovi are live legend too by every standard

semigoodlookin 11-01-2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokenrola (Post 1212930)
what is debatable?salea? lets debate! who sold more?BJ which tours are more seeing?BJ who cross the line of 1 Billion with Stones,U2,Springsteen,Madona?BJ
what bend have the most concerts playing in stadiums(calculated by Japanese)?BJ
Metallica and Maiden are more similar than Metallica and Jovi,so they can be compared

Ok, I will humour you.

Metallica has sold 110 million albums worldwide (not including Hardwired) and has done so over nine albums. It averages 12.2 million unit sales per album.

Bon Jovi has sold 130 million albums worldwide over 13 albums (including Burning Bridges but not This House). It averages 10 million unit sales per album.

Extra albums (live, covers, greatest hits etc.) Metallica has four, Bon Jovi has five.

As you can see, Bon Jovi has sold more, but Metallica outsells Bon Jovi on a per album basis. The single point I am making here is numbers can be interpreted as you want, but are meaningless in deciding which band is best, or even more popular.

Bon Jovi is my favorite band, no question, and Metallica is not even in the top 10. That said, I don't need to cite Bon Jovi's statistics to make me feel better about liking the band.