Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rate: Do What You Can (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70724)

Faceman 08-05-2020 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QUceK1WV8 (Post 1266119)
but also hire Desmond Child for the next record. Pretty much 180 degrees on the current plan of staying relevant and appeal to new audience. In my non scientific and very subjective opinion :)

That Desmond Child would bring them back a hit single is a myth.
After the moderatly successful Memory he co-wrote Army Of One, Brokenpromiseland, Fast Cars, Happy Now and Learn To Love. And none of them was even close to being a hit. I know they weren't released as a single but at least 3 out of those 5 even failed as album tracks for the die-hards.

steel_horse75 08-05-2020 10:07 AM

Rate: Do What You Can

Some bands just go on too long and Bon Jovi are one of them.

The new music is dire and would anyone be bothered if they decided to call it a day and never release 2020? I doubt it - only the insane people who love everything that Jon does - they don’t even care it’s just Jon now and not a band effort - if Jon’s name is on it they love it.

Been learning guitar in lockdown and started learning Something to believe in and it’s hard letting you go. The music, the lyrics, the chemistry- it was magical but it’s all gone now.

Even with Richie the band hasn’t released an 8/10 album for a while and without him it’s been even worse.

I hate writing this about my fav band but it’s the truth. The magic has gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Faceman 08-05-2020 02:33 PM

Pretty much spot on.
Sad, but true!

Alphavictim 08-06-2020 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266120)
I suppose they could use DC to lean into the 80's anthem sounds but some of the current songs ain't THAT far away from that style of production, it's just less keyboardy (in my opinion).

Desmond hasn't written stuff in that vein for quite some time either. It would probably be super fake considering how NONE of the big key players (even counting Richie) have written arena ready spandexy fist pumpers since... let's say 1992 (or whenever Good Guys Don't Always Wear White was).

† ÀžžÀ † 08-06-2020 02:45 PM

Lyrically, this song had lots of potential but once again the production has undermined the songwriting. Sadly it's now indistinguishable from all other recent material.

QUceK1WV8 08-08-2020 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1266124)
That Desmond Child would bring them back a hit single is a myth.
After the moderatly successful Memory he co-wrote Army Of One, Brokenpromiseland, Fast Cars, Happy Now and Learn To Love. And none of them was even close to being a hit. I know they weren't released as a single but at least 3 out of those 5 even failed as album tracks for the die-hards.

Of course it is a myth. People hang on to that one point an ignore all the lines I wrote about how hard it is for an old band to write a hit. I literally gave them 01,% chance at most - which mathematically is probably too high - but as a figure of speech. Then I said -I think- their best chance is trying to appeal to the audience that loved them the most at the peak of their careers by going all out on nostalgy anthems and being larger than life. Not for a second am I thinking they would make it. It is however a better chance than Bon Jovi ever becoming relevant by chasing the current audience for popular music. These things simply do not come back from two generations back. What might happen once in a thousand years (another figure of speech..) is that the old audience briefly becomes interested again.

rockingguy82 08-12-2020 01:06 PM

Total shite. Drum loop, horrible vocals, cheese factory lyrics. 2/10 for the fact that Jon managed to haul his voice through the 3 mins. People giving this 8/10 presumably would be giving These Days 38/10 or something?

Dave88 08-14-2020 11:28 PM

I have been quite out of the loop lately but I've heard DWYC on the radio earlier this week and couldn't believe it's been picked as a single.

Lyrics are beyond awful.