Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rate: Do What You Can (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70724)

manarosi 07-24-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam D (Post 1265933)
A lot of people would rather the band stop then continue to release albums that are well below their standard.

I honestly believe that is what drives so much contempt for the band on this board, and from older fans on social media.

I'm glad to have new music, but I also struggle with the fact that if songs like Limitless are the best they can put out, why release anything, other than the fact they want something to tour behind?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

let's say you are a basketball player, you are a 40 yrs old shaquille o'neal who is nowhere near as good as before, but you are still making 20m/year just because of your name...would you stop? their legacy is defined, it's what drives 90% of the people to their concert since HAND i should say....most of the guys going next year to the tour may not have heard about limitless and so on, while "hardcore" fans like us still would listen to the old stuff as usual.
Again, i'm with you about the quality of productions, but sometimes it seems to me that many people forgets the fact that we're in 2020, not 1990

Adam D 07-24-2020 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manarosi (Post 1265939)
let's say you are a basketball player, you are a 40 yrs old shaquille o'neal who is nowhere near as good as before, but you are still making 20m/year just because of your name...would you stop? their legacy is defined, it's what drives 90% of the people to their concert since HAND i should say....most of the guys going next year to the tour may not have heard about limitless and so on, while "hardcore" fans like us still would listen to the old stuff as usual.

Again, i'm with you about the quality of productions, but sometimes it seems to me that many people forgets the fact that we're in 2020, not 1990

The argument would be that if you are only playing because you are making 20M a year when you already have more money than you could ever ask for, then you're not playing for the love of the game.

Jon can continue to make whatever music he wants, but if it's all money oriented, rather than for the love of music, then the band will continue to bleed fans.

JoviForever 07-24-2020 06:18 PM

[QUOTE=Adam D;1265940]The argument would be that if you are only playing because you are making 20M a year when you already have more money than you could ever ask for, then you're not playing for the love of the game.

Jon can continue to make whatever music he wants, but if it's all money oriented, rather than for the love of music, then the band will continue to bleed fans.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

And it’s also damaging their legacy!🙄

Santa Fe 07-24-2020 06:42 PM

Another pop song

Adam D 07-24-2020 06:45 PM

[QUOTE=JoviForever;1265943]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam D (Post 1265940)
The argument would be that if you are only playing because you are making 20M a year when you already have more money than you could ever ask for, then you're not playing for the love of the game.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

And it’s also damaging their legacy![emoji849]

Here's the thing about that though.

If Jon doesn't think they are damaging anything, or if he's not concerned about it, why are you?

And I don't mean you personally, I mean us. I see that mentioned all the time, but it's not up to us to preserve.

If Jon's not losing sleep over it, we have to learn to let it go.

Rdkopper 07-24-2020 06:54 PM

[/QUOTE

And it’s also damaging their legacy![emoji849][/QUOTE]

Nah!!! People been saying that for the past ten years and it's not true.

Every band goes through some type of decline as they get older and lose members, etc. His legacy is written and secured.

If Bon Jovi came out with a third Greatest Hits and included Because We Can, This House Is Not For Sale and even Limitless or Beautiful Drug, they would blend in just fine and fans wouldn't even question it.

I just think as fans we're frustrated because we know Jon can do more then just writing lyrics and providing his vocals...

I feel like we've been down this road before. Judging an album based on a few early tracks and snippets. We'll then get the album, find a few redeeming tracks and feel much better.

Let's face it. Those two new songs were really forced and should have been bonus tracks 11 and 12 so I'm not using them to judge the album. Unbroken was written for the documentary and Phil even said, it's not the theme of the album. Limitless was a bad choice of a single but I think Jon sounds decent vocally and I'm hopeful that there are better songs. The song has grown on me and I think it will sound great as a live opener.

From what I've heard of Beautiful Drug, I'm digging the sound. Sounds like something off of Burning Bridges which is a good thing. It definitely has an edge to it and is much better than Limitless.

There are 10 main tracks but I have a feeling we'll get at least 15. I don't understand the marketing strategy behind this. Maybe there will be bonus tracks to offer different releases or maybe it's a way to keep costs down with the record company but I think we'll end up with 15 or more.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 07-24-2020 07:12 PM

Hope you are right and we get more bonus tracks.

Thinny 07-24-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1265946)
Nah!!! People been saying that for the past ten years and it's not true.

Diagree. Bon Jovi are seen as a joke to most people now. Sad but true.

Quote:

Every band goes through some type of decline as they get older and lose members, etc.

But not a decline as severe as Bon Jovi's.

Quote:

If Bon Jovi came out with a third Greatest Hits and included Because We Can, This House Is Not For Sale and even Limitless or Beautiful Drug, they would blend in just fine and fans wouldn't even question it.

Most would skip them.

Quote:

I feel like we've been down this road before. Judging an album based on a few early tracks and snippets. We'll then get the album, find a few redeeming tracks and feel much better.

We've heard 40% of the album. I don't hold the same hope as you for the remaining 60%. Why would they release all the worst tracks first. One bad track I could skin, but none of the four have got me excited about the album, or anybody else it seems. Literally no one is excited about this album.

Quote:

Let's face it. Those two new songs were really forced and should have been bonus tracks 11 and 12 so I'm not using them to judge the album.

Disagree. Both are miles better than Limitless and the very forced Unbroken.

Quote:

From what I've heard of Beautiful Drug, I'm digging the sound. Sounds like something off of Burning Bridges which is a good thing. It definitely has an edge to it and is much better than Limitless.

You got all that from the tiny little clip that leaked!? wow.

Quote:

There are 10 main tracks but I have a feeling we'll get at least 15. I don't understand the marketing strategy behind this. Maybe there will be bonus tracks to offer different releases or maybe it's a way to keep costs down with the record company but I think we'll end up with 15 or more.

What are you basing this on? Where are these tracks coming from. There's no deluxe edition, only the Jap bonus tracks. I can't see us getting any more tracks. There's been no mention of any tracks outside of these 12.

I can see them recording and releasing a further EP to go with the tour next year, as the album will be dead in the water by then...

Your whole post just sounds like wishful thinking to me...

Captain_jovi 07-24-2020 08:13 PM

I just don't....understand why people are so concerned what non-fans or former fans think of the band. Who really cares? Do they make ya happy? Do you enjoy the band enough to buy the new album? Will you have fun at a show? If you answer no to 2 of 3 the there's no shame in just saying "not for me". This board feels like it has a handful of people who are just fixated on the glory days and slamming anything past "their" perfect era.

Alphavictim 07-24-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam D (Post 1265940)

For all the shit you can give the band: Releasing new albums is NOT what makes money. If the band (or rather, JBJ and RS) were all about the money, they'd be doing what other 80s bands are doing:

-Mötley Crüe (two new albums in the last 20 years, none in the past 10)
-Poison (no new album since what, 2001?)
-Guns & Roses (one new album since the mid 90s, although I am not too sure if that is downright to Axl's greed and not just his... erraticness)
-Cinderella (strictly a touring act for quite some time, last new album was in the early 90s)
-Journey: Last album has been out for... 9 years?

Also, two bands where I think they aren't doing it just for the money, but still:
-Def Leppard: New album every 5 years or so, if that. They do reinvent themselves a bit, too, but the frequency is much lower
-Metallica: 8 years or so between albums as of late

The output frequency of BJ the band is MUCH HIGHER than that of most contemporaries. The only band I can think of that also releases albums rather regularily AND bests BJ as far as their quality is concerned is Europe. (Also some bands from other genres, but I am not gonna compare Bad Religion to Bon Jovi)

Honestly, the fact that JBJ wrote two new songs in quarantine cos he felt like it (and wrote them on his own, not with "songsmiths") to me is actually - lo and behold - a sign of artistic drive.