Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rate: Do What You Can (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70724)

hackster73 07-24-2020 08:40 PM

Would rather have quality over quantity

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1265950)
For all the shit you can give the band: Releasing new albums is NOT what makes money. If the band (or rather, JBJ and RS) were all about the money, they'd be doing what other 80s bands are doing:

-Mötley Crüe (two new albums in the last 20 years, none in the past 10)
-Poison (no new album since what, 2001?)
-Guns & Roses (one new album since the mid 90s, although I am not too sure if that is downright to Axl's greed and not just his... erraticness)
-Cinderella (strictly a touring act for quite some time, last new album was in the early 90s)
-Journey: Last album has been out for... 9 years?

Also, two bands where I think they aren't doing it just for the money, but still:
-Def Leppard: New album every 5 years or so, if that. They do reinvent themselves a bit, too, but the frequency is much lower
-Metallica: 8 years or so between albums as of late

The output frequency of BJ the band is MUCH HIGHER than that of most contemporaries. The only band I can think of that also releases albums rather regularily AND bests BJ as far as their quality is concerned is Europe. (Also some bands from other genres, but I am not gonna compare Bad Religion to Bon Jovi)

Honestly, the fact that JBJ wrote two new songs in quarantine cos he felt like it (and wrote them on his own, not with "songsmiths") to me is actually - lo and behold - a sign of artistic drive.

bjcrazycpa 07-24-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

For all the shit you can give the band: Releasing new albums is NOT what makes money. If the band (or rather, JBJ and RS) were all about the money, they'd be doing what other 80s bands are doing:

-Guns & Roses (one new album since the mid 90s, although I am not too sure if that is downright to Axl's greed and not just his... erraticness)
-Cinderella (strictly a touring act for quite some time, last new album was in the early 90s)

Also, two bands where I think they aren't doing it just for the money, but still:
-Def Leppard: New album every 5 years or so, if that. They do reinvent themselves a bit, too, but the frequency is much lower

The output frequency of BJ the band is MUCH HIGHER than that of most contemporaries. The only band I can think of that also releases albums rather regularily AND bests BJ as far as their quality is concerned is Europe. (Also some bands from other genres, but I am not gonna compare Bad Religion to Bon Jovi)

Honestly, the fact that JBJ wrote two new songs in quarantine cos he felt like it (and wrote them on his own, not with "songsmiths") to me is actually - lo and behold - a sign of artistic drive.

Yes, for someone who supposedly has lost his passion he could be laying his ass up in his new million dollar mansion in Florida vs writing new songs. Maybe fans don't dig them but he wrote because he had something to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alphavictim 07-24-2020 08:50 PM

I also prefer quality over quantity, but you can always just take the best songs of the past 8 years and make your own "if BJ were like Metallica" album.

Thinny 07-24-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

The difference is that those bands were always happy with being nostalgia, Jon always and still does want to be contemporary. There's nothing wrong with that, in fact it's something to be admired. Unfortunately it does sometimes come across as a little desperate. When you've had a 30 plus year career you just have to ackowledge that part of what you do is totally going to be nostaligia to many.

Alphavictim 07-24-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1265957)
The difference is that those bands were always happy with being nostalgia, Jon always and still does want to be contemporary. There's nothing wrong with that, in fact it's something to be admired. Unfortunately it does sometimes come across as a little desperate. When you've had a 30 plus year career you just have to ackowledge that part of what you do is totally going to be nostaligia to many.

The Stones, or rather, Jagger, also always wanted to be more than nostalgia. However, the 60s card was never uncool. BJ were part of a scene that used to be laughed at. Even in the 80s, but even moreso in the 90s. The 80s are cool again now, they've been for a decade or so, but JBJ still seems to think that being considered a peer of Poison would do him more harm than being a peer of Bryan Adams.

Thinny 07-24-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265949)
I just don't....understand why people are so concerned what non-fans or former fans think of the band. Who really cares? Do they make ya happy? Do you enjoy the band enough to buy the new album? Will you have fun at a show? If you answer no to 2 of 3 the there's no shame in just saying "not for me". This board feels like it has a handful of people who are just fixated on the glory days and slamming anything past "their" perfect era.

I think it's that the fans want other people to see what we see in the band. Even back in the 90s Bon Jovi were not really respected, they were seen as light pop-rock for housewives, no matter how hard fans like us fought their corner. It was frustrating.

Some fans still want others to see that, but unfortunately it's got to the point where some of us can't really defend them based on current output. Which is also frustrating as I know what were once are capable of.

But I gave up that fight a long time ago

Captain_jovi 07-24-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1265957)

But was it any of those band's aims to be nostalgic or did time just pass them by no matter what they put out? I don't think a band like Guns N'Roses our Journey is happy being in that realm but I don't know enough about either to know for sure.

Thinny 07-24-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1265958)
The Stones, or rather, Jagger, also always wanted to be more than nostalgia. However, the 60s card was never uncool. BJ were part of a scene that used to be laughed at. Even in the 80s, but even moreso in the 90s. The 80s are cool again now, they've been for a decade or so, but JBJ still seems to think that being considered a peer of Poison would do him more harm than being a peer of Bryan Adams.

The band in 2020 has zero in common with Poison so to be honest, I kinda get that. A Poison audience is no longer a Bon Jovi audience.

Not sure he even wants to be a peer of Adams, he wants to be on the same level as The Stones.

Captain_jovi 07-24-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1265959)
I think it's that the fans want other people to see what we see in the band. Even back in the 90s Bon Jovi were not really respected, they were seen as light pop-rock for housewives, no matter how hard fans like us fought their corner. It was frustrating.

Some fans still want others to see that, but unfortunately it's got to the point where some of us can't really defend them based on current output. Which is also frustrating as I know what were once are capable of.

But I gave up that fight a long time ago

Fair! I think if at their creative height that most of this board cherishes, they were still seen as a housewives band....it's a dead fight. If the world didn't see them then like we do there's no hope so it's just not a fight worth having. Almost to the point where people saying "the world is laughing at the band because the new music is so bad" no no, the world is laughing at the band because they're Bon Jovi. Doesn't so much matter what they put out, it's pissing SOME group off. Too aggressive and it goes against the housewives, too country and it pisses off the rockers, too pop and it pisses off the fans that have been bitching since 2005 or 2007, or 2000 (pick your year). You're right, it's not a fight worth having.

Thinny 07-24-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265960)
But was it any of those band's aims to be nostalgic or did time just pass them by no matter what they put out? I don't think a band like Guns N'Roses our Journey is happy being in that realm but I don't know enough about either to know for sure.

I don't think it's any bands aim, but it gets to a poin where you relaise that you're older and radio isn't going the play you anymore and you just get out there and do it. Journey's set is 90% 80s stuff and has be for 20 years. Guns is probably 70% 80s, early 90s. They are certainly comfortable with it.

There's a great quote from Rob Thomas in this clip that I think sums it up pretty well about how you relaise that you get to a point where you're not going to be massive anymore, but thats' ok, you have your core fans what will follow whatever you do

https://youtu.be/Z4hK7t-IgnU?t=132