Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rate: Do What You Can (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70724)

Supersonic 07-23-2020 07:42 AM

Rate: Do What You Can

Aloha !

I give it a 6.

Like with any Bon Jovi song the production and vocals are stopping me from listening to this stuff. Somewhere there's a great song in there but it's just been recorded by the wrong artist. Despite all the studio tricks Jon still sounds out of breath and because he can't keep up it's almost as if they've recorded the vocals line for line. His breathing is off, at times he's still breathing out and then the next line starts and it makes it really hard to listen to, you're constantly wondering when he'll pass out and he does suck the life out of the verses, really. Add to that how the drums just don't fit the rest of the arrangement and you end up with this really weird miss mash of things.

The song is very catchy though, easily one of the catchiest stuff written in years but the words in the chorus are dreadful. Most of the verses are great but it's as if Jon just didn't know what to do with the melody in the chorus. "This ain't my prayer it's just a thought I'm wanting to send" is so bad it makes me want to skip the song. You can't sing along to it either.

As for the rest; Either the bass is horribly mixed or it's just someone putting a really simplistic bassline there because it needs to have some bass notes. There's no melody in the bassline which is causing me to think it's not Hugh McDonald playing on this track. Drums could've been recorded by anyone, really and guitars are irrelevant. It's a sad thought a band who could once deliver any rock song with great passion now struggles to record a simplistic song like this. Most of the issues mentioned above won't be noticed by 99% of the audience still listening to new Bon Jovi songs though but what could be a fun little rock & roll songs now sounds like this robotic manufactured product with little soul in it.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

YOVANAfromPeru 07-23-2020 08:06 AM

Nice lyric, meh melody, no guitar solo. Again.
Yeah, better than the acoustic version but I still don't like it. Yet, it's better than Unbroken and American Reckoning...
So 5/10.

Javier 07-23-2020 08:08 AM

I think I disagree with almost everything you posted except the catchy part. For me it's an 8, I'm usually pretty generous with my scores but they rarely change, I love the groove of the song and the energy and optimism it gives out. I love that line you singled out, it works he's not preaching he just a songwriter sharing his thoughts. Simple bass lines don't bother me much, but maybe I need a few more listens before I start to nitpick stuff out that could be better :p

TheOriginalJez 07-23-2020 08:49 AM

"drum's could've been played by anyone" is generous. It's so simplistic I'm convinced it's just a basic loop not even a drum machine. I think Jon's done this on his laptop and either him or Shanks has just thrown it against the wall as an attempt at mastering.

angelsambo 07-23-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1265822)
''....and guitars are irrelevant. It's a sad thought a band who could once deliver any rock song with great passion now struggles to record a simplistic song like this. ....what could be a fun little rock & roll songs now sounds like this robotic manufactured product with little soul in it.

This sums it up pretty well,
a good song(nothing special)destroyed by an awful production and uninspired guitar work again...fourth song without a guitar solo!!!

GabrielC 07-23-2020 09:50 AM

6/10 for me.

The song is catchy, I like the lyrics and even the chorus. But it screams the need for a solo. The middle breakdown needed a rock solo from Phil, would build up the song.

Apart from that, I don't like the production and mixing, the sounds are a bit weird. The bass and drums sound weak and generic. This song deserved more.

steel_horse75 07-23-2020 10:21 AM

4/10

This could’ve been a very good song but the horrible drum machine, twangy shanks guitar and Jon’s auto tuned voice ruin it.

Some lyrics are really good and it’s a song that everyone can relate to as everyone has been through COVID but the song feels empty to me as the drum machine and lack of prominent bass gives no feeling and depth to the song.

But unfortunately it’s another song for the above reasons in my first paragraph I won’t be buying - that’s 4 from 4 now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bonjovi90 07-23-2020 12:59 PM

5/10

Catchy, lyrics are decent, but the production once again kills it. As others stated, it sounds so much like the most simple drum loops and a someone learning how to program a bass line that has no melody.

The guitar sounds so much like some tune from a 90's sitcom or movie to me. Can't put my finger on which one though...

james_d 07-23-2020 01:10 PM

Gave it a 6,which is the same as I gave American Reckoning I think. I like it, it's catchy, upbeat, with some reasonable vocals. Agree that the production is crap, everything sounds compressed, and I'd prefer someone other than Jon doing the harmonies in the chorus, but overall I like it.

faith1985 07-23-2020 02:03 PM

I give it an 8 because I love the lyrics and it is catchy, plus it is a great surprise at my birthday.

fanofrem 07-23-2020 02:27 PM

Best song since Living With the Ghost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elvistico 07-23-2020 02:50 PM

My feeling is exactly how Seb puts it. There's a great song there. Catchy, up-tempo. Lyrics are good but it is wrapped in shitty production and uninspired playing.

The production is - unfortunately - again flat. Drums probably just computer, bass could be by anyone. It all sounds like the intro to any random american sitcom.
I can actually see it playing : When you can't do what you do, You do what you can. Starring (JBJ as : The artist previously known as Jon Bon Jovi, Phil X as: The ace guitar player using only his feet on this song, Tico as: the drum robot, Hugh Mc Donald as: Ronald McDonald and David Bryan as: Jon's puppet.

But here's a thought : When your voice is gone, when you don't use your band to it's potential, when you have Jon Shanks as your producer, when your band is in lockdown and you only see eachother on tour, ... When you can't do what you do, you do what you can!
(Although I wonder if that shouldn't be : When you do what you do, You can't do what you once could)

Elvistico 07-23-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanofrem (Post 1265846)
Best song since Living With the Ghost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well hell yeah. Can't argue with that :) - Isn't that ironic?

Rdkopper 07-23-2020 03:14 PM

I'll rate it. 7.9

I get lost and have to adjust when I get used to Jon's shitty live versions before I hear the final studio track.

It happened with Working Man, Reunion, and now this song...

I'm a sucker for these type of songs overall. I don't need to get overly technical when reviewing it... It grabs me from the beginning and keeps me to the end.

I guess Jon needs to add a bridge to most songs now. This one isn't bad.

One major criticism is, just like how the chorus in Rollercoaster and Devils In The Temple were ruined by Shank's terrible production, this song falls victim to the same results. However I still like those songs and like this one too.

Man, Jon's voice... At least compared to other artist who lost it like Vince Neil, Jon's studio voice is still recordable. I'm not a fan of the effects. Not sure if they are done as a cover up or done to fit the times.

I'm really happy to see Jon go up a range. Like I've said in other songs, that's one of the keys to making a song great. Jon or someone in the camp must read my posts.

In short, this is a song that grabs me and keeps me from start to finish. I don't need to over analyze it. Sure it's not perfect and things that could be better but it still works. This is the Jon and the type of music style I like.

Faceman 07-23-2020 04:30 PM

I'm very surprised about the positive feedback the song gets here.
What's up with you guys? Am I on the wrong board? :D

To me it's a mix of songs like Captain Crash, Who Says and Because We Can. And all of them get bashed here on a regular basis.
So I don't get the enthusiasm about Do What You Can. Have you lowered the benchmark that much?

Is the final version better than expected? Yes
Is the lyrical theme honorable? Yes
Does this song on a scale from 1 - 10 - let's say between King Of The Mountain and Dry County - deserve (at this very moment) a rating from 78% of 5 or better? Hell no!

Faceman 07-23-2020 04:38 PM

I also need to get into the discussion about Shanks' production.
Yes, it's a wall of sound. Yes, a different, lets say "clearer" production would upgrade the arrangements.
But a good song is a good song, no matter how the production turned out.
So to me it's a ridiculous excuse to make bad songs better. It's not Jon's shitty vocals, it's not the lack of inspiration, it's not the lack of a tight band working on the songs. Nooo, it's the production.
And besides that I think most of you don't even have an ear for production-issues - me included. It's just one person once said something that sounded so professional and understanding so a lot of other guys think to know what's going on and hearing every nuance of every production move taken.

rolo_tomachi 07-23-2020 05:22 PM

I'm still amazed by his voice. If John Shanks makes Jon's voice look as good on the entire album as on this one, I'll call him the wizard from now on.
:-RE

Dragula 07-23-2020 05:23 PM

This needed a solo and backing vocals from Richie

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bounce7800 07-23-2020 06:11 PM

6/10 for me.

It's ok, although I think the original slow acoustic version suited the subject and lyrics better, although we do have enough of those already I guess.

Not a fan of the twangy country guitars and the song sounds way too much like Walk Like A Man to me.

I'm disappointed that this and Reckoning appear to be nudging other songs off the album though. There's no reason they can't have 12 on there, especially with the charity press release spoken over music that is Unbroken, and the lyrically better but still pretty dull American Reckoning, the album needs more balance to the upbeat and I don't think this one tips the scales enough in that direction. But its ok, probably just behind Limitless for me (yeah I don't mind it, shoot me).

Captain_jovi 07-23-2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1265858)
I also need to get into the discussion about Shanks' production.
Yes, it's a wall of sound. Yes, a different, lets say "clearer" production would upgrade the arrangements.
But a good song is a good song, no matter how the production turned out.
So to me it's a ridiculous excuse to make bad songs better. It's not Jon's shitty vocals, it's not the lack of inspiration, it's not the lack of a tight band working on the songs. Nooo, it's the production.
And besides that I think most of you don't even have an ear for production-issues - me included. It's just one person once said something that sounded so professional and understanding so a lot of other guys think to know what's going on and hearing every nuance of every production move taken.

??? This makes zero sense. You don't have to have an ear for production to know when something doesn't sound good to your ears. Hell, I think the songs on WAN were decent and I'd upgrade my rating if the production was better so I just don't agree with that.

liljovi93 07-23-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1265841)
5/10

Catchy, lyrics are decent, but the production once again kills it. As others stated, it sounds so much like the most simple drum loops and a someone learning how to program a bass line that has no melody.

The guitar sounds so much like some tune from a 90's sitcom or movie to me. Can't put my finger on which one though...

Friends??

Meh, 5 or 6 out of 10.

I used to get a buzz for new Jovi music but I struggle listening to stuff and enjoying it. I don't know if it's because I'm ready to criticize (which is wrong) or I've just got older and don't think everything they do is fantastic anymore.

It's just a typical album filler for me. Yet they've released it as a single...

It's catchy, it's fun, it's not what I expect 50/60 years olds to produce (not sure if it's good or bad saying that) but I don't.

It needs better drums. It needs a guitar solo. It needs a lot, to be honest.

Genuinely not interested in this album, unfortunately. 4 songs so far and none have made me want to listen to them again that much.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

steel_horse75 07-23-2020 08:18 PM

Basically what he said above.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

bonjovi90 07-23-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1265872)
Friends??

Yeah the guitar sound reminds of the intro of Friends. This and the intro of "Ein Kompliment" from the German band "Sportfreunde Stiller". :D

Eveline 07-23-2020 11:40 PM

I gave it 3/10 for the lyrical content, some good verses and that's it. Basically, what the guys said 2-3 posts above...

hackster73 07-24-2020 12:31 AM

It is utter shit.

I'm convinced this is John and Shanks, maybe also a computer. Zero input from the rest of the band and as a result a solo track, much the same as the rest so far. This band has fallen so far in the last decade and long past its best. I live in hope for a good album, hell even a quality song but it just isn't coming. Get Richie back and do a final tour, call it quits please.

angelsambo 07-24-2020 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 1265896)
It is utter shit.... This band has fallen so far in the last decade and long past its best.

bon jovi's decline must be studied in school books

manarosi 07-24-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1265906)
bon jovi's decline must be studied in school books

Can i ask you and everybody else that has an opinion like yours what other 80's band is still relevant and still produces great albums these days? don't want to sound harsh, i get it being critics with what BJ has been delivering since 2005 (which is mostly garbage) but maybe we should consider that all these guys have been around for 40 years....what more do you want them to say or play in their songs? can't expect a KTF or TD level albums nowadays, not from them and not even from other artists tbh. If you take a look at Aerosmith, GnR, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, even 90's band, they haven't made a good album in decades, at least BJ have been able to reinvent themself quite a few times in their career.

Rdkopper 07-24-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manarosi (Post 1265928)
Can i ask you and everybody else that has an opinion like yours what other 80's band is still relevant and still produces great albums these days? don't want to sound harsh, i get it being critics with what BJ has been delivering since 2005 (which is mostly garbage) but maybe we should consider that all these guys have been around for 40 years....what more do you want them to say or play in their songs? can't expect a KTF or TD level albums nowadays, not from them and not even from other artists tbh. If you take a look at Aerosmith, GnR, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, even 90's band, they haven't made a good album in decades, at least BJ have been able to reinvent themself quite a few times in their career.

Bon Jovi are like Star Wars movies. The original trilogy was so good that it made the franchise legendary.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Eveline 07-24-2020 03:40 PM

Their current reinvention is cringeworthy.... now I wish their RHOF induction was actually their farewell 😔 good memories from the gig are one thing but what's actually happening in the Jovi camp terrifies me 😶

Adam D 07-24-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manarosi (Post 1265928)

A lot of people would rather the band stop then continue to release albums that are well below their standard.

I honestly believe that is what drives so much contempt for the band on this board, and from older fans on social media.

I'm glad to have new music, but I also struggle with the fact that if songs like Limitless are the best they can put out, why release anything, other than the fact they want something to tour behind?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

manarosi 07-24-2020 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam D (Post 1265933)
A lot of people would rather the band stop then continue to release albums that are well below their standard.

I honestly believe that is what drives so much contempt for the band on this board, and from older fans on social media.

I'm glad to have new music, but I also struggle with the fact that if songs like Limitless are the best they can put out, why release anything, other than the fact they want something to tour behind?

let's say you are a basketball player, you are a 40 yrs old shaquille o'neal who is nowhere near as good as before, but you are still making 20m/year just because of your name...would you stop? their legacy is defined, it's what drives 90% of the people to their concert since HAND i should say....most of the guys going next year to the tour may not have heard about limitless and so on, while "hardcore" fans like us still would listen to the old stuff as usual.
Again, i'm with you about the quality of productions, but sometimes it seems to me that many people forgets the fact that we're in 2020, not 1990

Adam D 07-24-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manarosi (Post 1265939)
let's say you are a basketball player, you are a 40 yrs old shaquille o'neal who is nowhere near as good as before, but you are still making 20m/year just because of your name...would you stop? their legacy is defined, it's what drives 90% of the people to their concert since HAND i should say....most of the guys going next year to the tour may not have heard about limitless and so on, while "hardcore" fans like us still would listen to the old stuff as usual.

Again, i'm with you about the quality of productions, but sometimes it seems to me that many people forgets the fact that we're in 2020, not 1990

The argument would be that if you are only playing because you are making 20M a year when you already have more money than you could ever ask for, then you're not playing for the love of the game.

Jon can continue to make whatever music he wants, but if it's all money oriented, rather than for the love of music, then the band will continue to bleed fans.

JoviForever 07-24-2020 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=Adam D;1265940]The argument would be that if you are only playing because you are making 20M a year when you already have more money than you could ever ask for, then you're not playing for the love of the game.

Jon can continue to make whatever music he wants, but if it's all money oriented, rather than for the love of music, then the band will continue to bleed fans.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

And it’s also damaging their legacy!🙄

Santa Fe 07-24-2020 07:42 PM

Another pop song

Adam D 07-24-2020 07:45 PM

[QUOTE=JoviForever;1265943]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam D (Post 1265940)
The argument would be that if you are only playing because you are making 20M a year when you already have more money than you could ever ask for, then you're not playing for the love of the game.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

And it’s also damaging their legacy![emoji849]

Here's the thing about that though.

If Jon doesn't think they are damaging anything, or if he's not concerned about it, why are you?

And I don't mean you personally, I mean us. I see that mentioned all the time, but it's not up to us to preserve.

If Jon's not losing sleep over it, we have to learn to let it go.

Rdkopper 07-24-2020 07:54 PM

[/QUOTE

And it’s also damaging their legacy![emoji849][/QUOTE]

Nah!!! People been saying that for the past ten years and it's not true.

Every band goes through some type of decline as they get older and lose members, etc. His legacy is written and secured.

If Bon Jovi came out with a third Greatest Hits and included Because We Can, This House Is Not For Sale and even Limitless or Beautiful Drug, they would blend in just fine and fans wouldn't even question it.

I just think as fans we're frustrated because we know Jon can do more then just writing lyrics and providing his vocals...

I feel like we've been down this road before. Judging an album based on a few early tracks and snippets. We'll then get the album, find a few redeeming tracks and feel much better.

Let's face it. Those two new songs were really forced and should have been bonus tracks 11 and 12 so I'm not using them to judge the album. Unbroken was written for the documentary and Phil even said, it's not the theme of the album. Limitless was a bad choice of a single but I think Jon sounds decent vocally and I'm hopeful that there are better songs. The song has grown on me and I think it will sound great as a live opener.

From what I've heard of Beautiful Drug, I'm digging the sound. Sounds like something off of Burning Bridges which is a good thing. It definitely has an edge to it and is much better than Limitless.

There are 10 main tracks but I have a feeling we'll get at least 15. I don't understand the marketing strategy behind this. Maybe there will be bonus tracks to offer different releases or maybe it's a way to keep costs down with the record company but I think we'll end up with 15 or more.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 07-24-2020 08:12 PM

Hope you are right and we get more bonus tracks.

Thinny 07-24-2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1265946)
Nah!!! People been saying that for the past ten years and it's not true.

Diagree. Bon Jovi are seen as a joke to most people now. Sad but true.

Quote:

Every band goes through some type of decline as they get older and lose members, etc.

But not a decline as severe as Bon Jovi's.

Quote:

If Bon Jovi came out with a third Greatest Hits and included Because We Can, This House Is Not For Sale and even Limitless or Beautiful Drug, they would blend in just fine and fans wouldn't even question it.

Most would skip them.

Quote:

I feel like we've been down this road before. Judging an album based on a few early tracks and snippets. We'll then get the album, find a few redeeming tracks and feel much better.

We've heard 40% of the album. I don't hold the same hope as you for the remaining 60%. Why would they release all the worst tracks first. One bad track I could skin, but none of the four have got me excited about the album, or anybody else it seems. Literally no one is excited about this album.

Quote:

Let's face it. Those two new songs were really forced and should have been bonus tracks 11 and 12 so I'm not using them to judge the album.

Disagree. Both are miles better than Limitless and the very forced Unbroken.

Quote:

From what I've heard of Beautiful Drug, I'm digging the sound. Sounds like something off of Burning Bridges which is a good thing. It definitely has an edge to it and is much better than Limitless.

You got all that from the tiny little clip that leaked!? wow.

Quote:

There are 10 main tracks but I have a feeling we'll get at least 15. I don't understand the marketing strategy behind this. Maybe there will be bonus tracks to offer different releases or maybe it's a way to keep costs down with the record company but I think we'll end up with 15 or more.

What are you basing this on? Where are these tracks coming from. There's no deluxe edition, only the Jap bonus tracks. I can't see us getting any more tracks. There's been no mention of any tracks outside of these 12.

I can see them recording and releasing a further EP to go with the tour next year, as the album will be dead in the water by then...

Your whole post just sounds like wishful thinking to me...

Captain_jovi 07-24-2020 09:13 PM

I just don't....understand why people are so concerned what non-fans or former fans think of the band. Who really cares? Do they make ya happy? Do you enjoy the band enough to buy the new album? Will you have fun at a show? If you answer no to 2 of 3 the there's no shame in just saying "not for me". This board feels like it has a handful of people who are just fixated on the glory days and slamming anything past "their" perfect era.

Alphavictim 07-24-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam D (Post 1265940)

For all the shit you can give the band: Releasing new albums is NOT what makes money. If the band (or rather, JBJ and RS) were all about the money, they'd be doing what other 80s bands are doing:

-Mötley Crüe (two new albums in the last 20 years, none in the past 10)
-Poison (no new album since what, 2001?)
-Guns & Roses (one new album since the mid 90s, although I am not too sure if that is downright to Axl's greed and not just his... erraticness)
-Cinderella (strictly a touring act for quite some time, last new album was in the early 90s)
-Journey: Last album has been out for... 9 years?

Also, two bands where I think they aren't doing it just for the money, but still:
-Def Leppard: New album every 5 years or so, if that. They do reinvent themselves a bit, too, but the frequency is much lower
-Metallica: 8 years or so between albums as of late

The output frequency of BJ the band is MUCH HIGHER than that of most contemporaries. The only band I can think of that also releases albums rather regularily AND bests BJ as far as their quality is concerned is Europe. (Also some bands from other genres, but I am not gonna compare Bad Religion to Bon Jovi)

Honestly, the fact that JBJ wrote two new songs in quarantine cos he felt like it (and wrote them on his own, not with "songsmiths") to me is actually - lo and behold - a sign of artistic drive.