Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

BJFan99 04-26-2022 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.J. Always (Post 1279390)
This was the first BJ album that I didn't buy. I personally think it is the worst one they have ever made.

Originally a rather decent compilation of songs that was ruined by 1) DWYC, 2) American Reckoning, 3) the lack of Shine and Luv Can on the standard edition, and 4) the horrifically disjointed order of songs. In 5 years no one will want to even be reminded of this album - maybe apart from Blood In The Water -, let alone listen to it. The name of the record alone will make sure most people will want to stay extremely far away from this dated piece of crap.

Alphavictim 04-26-2022 10:35 AM

American Reckoning and DWYC kinda HAD to be on the album due to its title. You can't really call the record 2020 and not talk about these things. Of course, DWYC's lyrics are already dated, and why a BJ record would need to be topical is beyond me. That being said, I like DWYC, Blood in the Water and Beautiful Drug.

liljovi93 04-26-2022 10:36 AM

Still not the biggest fan of the album. I really like 40/50% of it and then can't really tolerate the rest.

Beautiful Drug is decent.
Blood In The Water is excellent.
Luv Can is excellent.
Let It Rain is really good.

That's about it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Sami 04-26-2022 11:09 AM

It’s been roughly 1,5 years since the release of ‘2020’. I am fully aware of my naive tendency to get a bit too enthusiastic each time we get a new album. In a year or two I normally gain some perspective and reluctantly begin to admit that the latest release has it’s very obvious limitations and flaws.

For me the new album has aged quite well, though. BITW and LTF are definitely great songs, there’s no denying. Shine is very good.

Luv Can is still my favorite track on the album. It begins as a mediocre or even a bit boring song, yet the last 90 seconds are epic. I love the outro. It’s vintage Bon Jovi. In my ears, it compares to any masterpiece they’ve ever done. One of the greatest love songs I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blazeofglory 04-26-2022 11:42 AM

For me the album aged semi-well. I understand why a song like DWYC needed to be on it to make it really topical, but that’s a song I really don’t wanna hear anymore nowadays because it’s about a time and event I wish we could just leave behind us for good already.

Songs that aged really well for me are Luv Can, Blood In The Water, Let It Rain, Brothers In Arms and Shine.

Lower The Flag and American Reckoning are very good as well, but since they’re about such heavy topics I need to be in the right mood to listen to them and if I’m not I tend to skip them.

I know everyone seems to love Beautiful Drug and I certainly don’t dislike it, but it’s also not really anything special to me. It’s kinda just there [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

musiccritic101 04-26-2022 12:30 PM

If you queue up the album and take out American Reckoning & Do What You Can and add Shine & Luv Can back in basically playing the album in the original tracklist sequence the album flows better and seems to go over well when listening to it.

Litneg 04-26-2022 01:46 PM

For me this record aged well. It has it's obvious limitations, had to be topical (what can we do? lol), and suffered with superproduction on the singles, but I still enjoy listening to it.

Beautiful Drug, Blood in the Water, Shine and Let it Rain are the ones I come back the most.

Limitless I do like too, but the live version.

And I can affirm now that Luv Can is one of my favorite Bon Jovi songs. It proved to me that they can still do some magic in studio if they want to!

B.J. Always 04-26-2022 07:11 PM

The reason I couldn't take this album was the same reason the Tour got in so much trouble--Jon's voice. I thought it sounded terrible on the album. There had never been a BJ album that I couldn't listen all the way through on until this one.

Litneg 04-26-2022 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.J. Always (Post 1279417)
The reason I couldn't take this album was the same reason the Tour got in so much trouble--Jon's voice. I thought it sounded terrible on the album. There had never been a BJ album that I couldn't listen all the way through on until this one.

Oh I have this issue with WAN only.

B.J. Always 04-26-2022 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litneg (Post 1279421)
Oh I have this issue with WAN only.

They may not have been the greatest songs in the world, but Jon's voice was a lot better then than it is now!