Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Def Leppard and Whtesnake tour! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=45562)

Bonjovifan 06-18-2008 11:23 PM

Def Leppard and Whtesnake tour!

Who's going ????

Anyone going to the Sheffield gig on Monday?????
I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

Two of my top five fave bands, other than Bon Jovi and AC/DC with the other being Motley ****ing Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuue!!!!

ROCK ON!!!!

Goldsausage 06-18-2008 11:25 PM

Love Def Lep, don't know a lot of Whitesnake's stuff.

And I've just recently become a Motley ****ing cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue fan.

Captain Walrus 06-18-2008 11:36 PM

I'll be there in London on Thursday, beginning my 3 days of gigs in a row

I'm also not too familiar with Whitesnake, but should still be a blast!

Supersonic 06-18-2008 11:47 PM

Aloha !

Def Leppard were dreadful at Arrow Rock. You'll enjoy Whitesnake more I think. They blew most bands away at Arrow Rock Fest. I'm glad I didn't buy a ticket for Wembley Arena now.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Goldsausage 06-18-2008 11:49 PM

I don't like Joe Elliot's 'real' voice but I'd still see them live just for the hell of seeing one of my favourite bands live.

yomamasofat 06-19-2008 03:17 AM

Anybody can post the full setlist of both bands? I want to see them (mainly for Whitesnake since I've seen DL 3 times already).

Kally 06-19-2008 09:40 AM

I'll be there on Thursday night !!

These are the two set lists from Tuesday night posted on Def Lep's forum. The guy posting also said "This was my first time seeing Def Leppard, although I've seen Whitesnake at least 10 times before (1981 onwards). So, as a Whitesnake fan I've got to say that Def Leppard stole the show! WS were very good, but didn't pace their set as well as Leppard (too much new material, could have done without the guitar and drum solos). Leppard understood exactly what's required on these package tours - hit after hit - and did it brilliantly, and deservedly got a tremendous reaction. "

Def Set list

Rocket
C'Mon C'Mon
MLLAM
Armageddon
WLAHC
Nine Lives
Bass Solo/Rock On
Two Steps
Heartbreak
Hysteria
Animal
Photograph
Sugar
ROA

Bad Actress
Lets Get Rocked

Whitesnake set list

Best Years
Fool For Your Loving
Can You Hear The Wind Blow
Love Ain't No Stranger (dedicated to the terminally ill Mel Galley )
Lay Down Your Love
Is This Love
Snake Dance (guitar solos)
A Fool In Love
Drum solo
Ain't Gonna Cry No More (Acoustic)
Ain't No Love In The Heart of The City
Give Me All Your Love
Here I Go Again
--------------
Still of The Night

Crushgen24/88 06-19-2008 10:01 AM

Not really a big Whitesnake fan. I love Lep though, and I want to see them live though I've heard they're nothing of what they once were. Good set from them, though I'm not that crazy on ending with "Let's Get Rocked" Maybe it's just me, but I don't hear it as a "set-closer"

yomamasofat 06-19-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kally (Post 844400)
I'll be there on Thursday night !!

Def Set list

Rocket
C'Mon C'Mon
MLLAM
Armageddon
WLAHC
Nine Lives
Bass Solo/Rock On
Two Steps
Heartbreak
Hysteria
Animal
Photograph
Sugar
ROA

Bad Actress
Lets Get Rocked

Whitesnake set list

Best Years
Fool For Your Loving
Can You Hear The Wind Blow
Love Ain't No Stranger (dedicated to the terminally ill Mel Galley )
Lay Down Your Love
Is This Love
Snake Dance (guitar solos)
A Fool In Love
Drum solo
Ain't Gonna Cry No More (Acoustic)
Ain't No Love In The Heart of The City
Give Me All Your Love
Here I Go Again
--------------
Still of The Night

Did you get a different setlist?

The above DL setlist sucked balls. Where is Hallucinate? Cmon Cmon is gay. MLLAM should go, for good!

Iceman 06-19-2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomamasofat (Post 844418)
Where is Hallucinate? Cmon Cmon is gay. MLLAM should go, for good!

C'mon C'mon and MLLAM were two great tracks few weeks ago. They work really well live.

Ice

yomamasofat 06-19-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 844432)
C'mon C'mon and MLLAM were two great tracks few weeks ago. They work really well live.

Ice

Really? MLLAM is pretty good live, I guess I'd like it to be replaced because there are much better old songs that can be played. But Cmon Cmon???

yomamasofat 06-19-2008 01:16 PM

Hmmm, 16 songs in a DL setlist.

They have to play the following hits: Rocket, Animal, PSSOM, Hysteria, Armageddon It, Photograph, Rock Of Ages. That's 7 songs.

Then they have to play 3 new songs (good amount for 16 song setlist, if it's 20 song setlist, play 4, if it's 24 or more song setlist, play 5). That's 10 songs already.

So they have 6 more songs and they have the following albums to represent:
1. OTTN
2. HnD
3. Adrenalize
4. Retroactive
5. Slang
6. Euphoria
7. X
8. Yeah

That's pretty tough to choose. I'd pick the following songs if I were the band I'd pick the following:

1. OTTN - Rock Brigade
2. HnD - Another Hit And Run (I'd alternate this with Let It Go)
3. Adrenalize - Let's Get Rocked
4. Retroactive - Two Steps Behind (I'd flip flop this one with WLAHC)
5. Slang - N/A
6. Euphoria - Promises
7. X - N/A
8. Yeah - Rock On (I really think this song is gay but apparently a lot of people like their version, so whatever).

Goldsausage 06-19-2008 02:01 PM

I like their Rock On. Hell, I like a good part of the covers album anyway!

Bonjovifan 06-19-2008 10:10 PM

A mate of mine went last night to the Brum gig, said Whitesnake were the better band.
But I don't care which band is on first, they are both gonna rock my f*cking world on Monday!!!

JJx23 06-20-2008 03:20 AM

Actually C'mon C'mon is a great song. It's now being playing on the radio- and I have heard it live. Nine Lives was obviously Lep's first hit off of SFTSL, but I figured their next one would either be C'mon C'mon or Love.

Elliot's voice is so unpredictable night after night that you never know what it will sound like. Def Leppard is known for their harmonies and their ballads, however many people will say that Joe Elliot really isn't that great of a singer. He has a unique rock voice that's very raspy and there really isn't that much tune in his voice. There are times however where Joe surprises us all with great renditions of certain songs that he might have bombed the night or month before.

At Arrow rock, Joe sounded terrible. For instance - - this is a professional band singing? Actually.. I shouldn't say band because the backgrounds vocals sound pretty good, just Elliot's voice sounds like crap here.

Overall I really like Def Leppard. They are one of my favorite bands of all-time, so it's obviously not easy criticizing them, but either Elliot has never has voice lessons or his "trying" high pitched singing over the years have taken a toll on his voice.

Here is a video of C'mon C'mon and even though- again.. Joe doesn't sound that great, it's not a bad performance at all. - this is at Arrow Rock.

Regards,

Jason F.

yomamasofat 06-20-2008 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldsausage II (Post 844504)
I like their Rock On. Hell, I like a good part of the covers album anyway!

I like some of the songs in the covers album like 20th Century Boy, Hellraiser, Waterloo Sunset, Golden Age Of RnR (the best song in the album), the 2 acoustic bonus tracks (winter song and when i'm dead and gone), No Matter What and Stay With Me. I find the rest weak.

The Walmart bonus EP is pretty good though, the only weak song in that is "Heartbeat". The other 4 songs are good.

The only one I haven't heard is the Itunes bonus track.

aph01 06-22-2008 09:16 PM

Went to the gig lastnight, and it was freakin superb!! Missed black Stone Cherry so i cant comment. Whitesnake were great, David Coverdale did a lot of this pointing the mic out the audience stuff, dont know if that was because he cant sing or wanted audience interaction. Anyway, they sounded in fine fettle, DC is a great frontman and I found some of the comments he made in his posh english accent rather funny. Reb Beach and Doug Aldrich certainly had plenty of oppertunity to show off their talents, they are pretty amazing it must be said, especially Aldrich.

However, it was noticable what most folks were there for when the lights went out for DLs enterence. The place went ****in nuts and the opened with Rocket. The atmosphere picked up by 1000% for the whole show. Most who had the option during WS sat down, not many were sat for DL! I went to the gig thinking Joe's voice would be an embarrassment from what people had been saying. However, I thought it was great, and the band i think were truely surprised and takin aback by the reaction they got from the highly energetic crowd. Highlights for me: Rocket, Animal, Love & Hate, Bad Actress, Sugar. Really rockin' gig. Simply cant wait for the next time.

What made the night even more special was my GFs experience. When i got the tix she wasnt a big DL fan, but in the past 4 months she has listened to all their albums non-stop and has grown to love them. So, she joined event-sec with one main goal, to get to see the gig as it has been sold out for a while. Well, she didnt see the gig, but heard it, because she was working backstage!!! Her flippin job was to stand just behind the stage and shine a torch for the rock stars as they came on and off the stage. What a job! She was stood by all the guitars. She saw DL rehersing 2 steps behind before they went on. She met all the stars of the show lastnight, and had a conversation with Rick Allen, Viv Campbell and Rick Savage about the weather (which was horrific)!!lol. She said they were so down to earth. They all gave her a wee hug and Viv gave her a personalised DL guitar pic and signed it...a pic which I am now in possession of!! Whooohooo!! Its also nice to know that the Leps still get a big kick from playin live. She said when they came off stage after the show they were like little kids jumping around because of the excitment running through their veins!! Its all so flippin cool!! Im so jealous, but i cant really complain. I got my socks rocked off, and got a signed pic from the hometown boy, Viv!! What a night!!

Goldsausage 06-22-2008 09:20 PM

Can I borrow your girlfriend? Just for a while.

Kally 06-26-2008 08:38 AM

10 hours and counting ...

We'll be heading inside at 5pm to eat in the bar :)
Plus get to drink the first pint or two from real glasses !!

Captain Walrus 06-26-2008 03:34 PM

Woooo, tonight bitches! Time to begin what will be a top weekend!

Goldsausage 06-26-2008 03:37 PM

Have fun! :D

Kally 06-27-2008 09:16 AM

WOW ..... !
Def Leppard blow WhiteSnake right out the areana :multi:

David Coverdale was frankly embarassing to watch. The band behind him were great and I am sure they where carrying as much of the vocals as they could get away with!! DC was having trouble getting a reaction from the room most of whom sat for the set and at one point he introduced a song turned to find the band had set up for something completely different. The video screen showed only a badly pixalated image of their logo most of the time .... :confused:
Hubby comment "Its like watching Barry Manalow backed by a great rock band " :(

Even the WhiteSnake fans sitting next to us were quite somber until the last two tracks .... Must have been WS fans coz they left before Def Leppard even started ! There was o encore as such ... the band went off and the lights came up.

Joe and the boys ROCKED WEMBERLY !
Starting with Rocket the whole of Wemberly went nuts ! The video show was on-par with BJB. Being a double header their set was far far too short. The three songs from the latest albumn went flat with much of the audance. Joe's voice was great. The whole band were so feeding off the feeling in the areana.
Finally they said good night and much of the rows behind us started to leave. Bad Actress had not been on so I knew it was worth waiting plus the lights had not come up ! Back they came for Bad Actress and Lets Get Rocked !!!!

WhiteSnake were the special guest support. It was the standard BJB line up we are used too ... a smaller band , a known support then the main attraction !!

Hubby said that the only band he knew who have done a better show than the Leps are BJB !!! :D

Goldsausage 06-27-2008 11:58 AM

Sounds great :D Well, the Def Leppard part :p

I really wanna see Def Leppard sometime. Hopefully they'll release a new album quickly and tour on their own :p

Captain Walrus 06-27-2008 12:05 PM

Heh, it was funny when Coverdale got the song wrong :p

I enjoyed Whitesnake, despite not knowing much of their stuff. Even though it was pretty much the David Coverdale show, the band were talented and entertaining enough to keep me interested. I'm glad they played Here I Go Again and Still Of The Night when they did though, I was beginning to get quite restless (not to mention I didn't feel brilliant)

Def Leppard did rock! I think I preffered them on the Yeah! Tour 2 years ago (the placement of songs was better IMO, Let's Get Rocked near the beginning, and an encore of When Love And Hate Collide and Pour Some Sugar, but last night was still a blast. I agree, I love the visual aspect of their show, and their use of platforms for multiple levels (similar to Metallica) is good too, and the extended stage worked really well. Shame that the only song off the new album they played that I actually like was Bad Actress. All in all I was happy that I heard five songs that I haven't hear them do before: the three new songs, plus Two Steps Behind and Bringing On The Heartbreak. The latter in particular was fantastic, acoustic for most of it, with lots of crowd participation, and then blasting black into a blistering full electric ending.

I think the main problem of the entire night was that the lead vocals were too quiet. I could barely hear either Dave Coverdale or Joe Elliot over the backing vocals, which was a shame

Kally 06-27-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus (Post 851085)
I think the main problem of the entire night was that the lead vocals were too quiet. I could barely hear either Dave Coverdale or Joe Elliot over the backing vocals, which was a shame

Well Dave's case it may have been on purpose !!! :rolleyes:

aerosmith_bonjovi 06-29-2008 09:51 PM

I thought both bands were really good and put on an excellent show :)

Bonjovifan 07-03-2008 12:30 AM

Both bands rocked the Sheffield arena!!!!

I personally thought Whitesnake rocked more and sounded better. Doug Aldridge and Reb Beach's solo was amazing and Dave C sounded on top form!! Not bad for 56, he's still got it and rockin' his heart out! The new album rocks like a bastard too, much better than 9 Lives and even the new Motley Crue cd.

Whitesnake = 10 points

Def Leppard = 8 points

Motley Crue = 7 points

;-)

Emil 07-03-2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus (Post 851085)
I think the main problem of the entire night was that the lead vocals were too quiet. I could barely hear Joe Elliot over the backing vocals, which was a shame

Maybe that was for the best though. He sounds like shit live.

Dave 1986 07-16-2008 12:32 AM

Saw them last night in Cardiff. Fantastic night. Just forget about why Leppard feel they have to tour with other 80's bands just to fill an arena.

The first band were Thunder who were incredible. The lead singer, what a voice! I know very little of them apart from Dirty Love, but now I've ordered Back Street Symphoney cause alot of the songs played were from that album.

Then Whitesnake. First time seeing them aswell. Like some people here, I'm not huge on them even though I own all studio albums from Slide It In onwards (there were on offer on Play.com not long ago so I went a bit mad) but I knew they would be impressive.....and they were. David Coverdale was sensational despite the fact that he's almost 60 years old. It was great to see Reb Beach of Winger play aswell as I'm quite a Winger fan. Started off with Best Years from the new album, played all the hits and just sounded awesome.

Then finally, Def Leppard came on. Second time seeing them (first was in Hammersmith Apollo in 2006) and even though they didn't sound quite so awesome as the Snake, they still put on a great show. So so much energy. And plus they are one of my all time favourite bands (and I admire them as people aswell) so the buzz was even higher. Though they really only played the Vault album and only 3 from Songs From The Sparkle Lounge (Nine Lives , C'mon C'mon and Bad Actress), literally. In 2006 when I saw them they at least played Rock Rock (Til You Drop), Let It Go, Promises, but this time they didn't strey from Vault at all. I guess they haven't played Cardiff in about 10 years maybe more so they couldn't really afford do dig deep into the catalogue. Still a fantastic night though.

It really is great to see bands like that still playing as if emo never existed.

Captain Walrus 07-16-2008 03:08 AM

Thunder are an excellent band, and Back Street Symphony is a hell of an album!!

Make sure you listen to Love Walked In especially! And Higher Ground, and Don't Wait For Me, you''l love it!

Dave 1986 07-16-2008 11:45 PM

Love Walked In is the song I remember the most from that night. I was just gona settle for a best of album but I was kinda meaning to get BSS about 3 years ago so I settled with that.

Mad4Jovi 07-21-2008 04:51 PM

Thunder's 2nd album Laughing on Judgement Day is fantastic so once you've realised how awesome they are with BSS, make that one your next buy. Also Thunder are touring the UK in Nov - www.thunderonline.com ;)

As for the tour, I was at the Liverpool show. I thought Thunder rocked, if Danny did get a bit panto with the singalongs. I guess that's good in a support slot, right? Anyway, I love 'em and thought they went down well with the crowd. Looking forward to the headline tour in November.

David Coverdale did a cracking job of mimnig while the guy on the keyboards did most of the singing. Also from where I was standing on the sounddesk I could see when the pre-recorded vocals were phased in and out. I remember when Whitsnake rocked, and up until 3/4 years ago, DC could still hold his own. I'm afraid once you need the pre-records it's time to hang up your boots.

Despite Joe Elliots voice being weaker than it used to be I didn't think it was that detrimental to the show. I thought most of their set rocked and enjoyed reliving my youth. Not convinced I'd go and seethem again though.

All in all, wasn't bad for 3 classic rock bands for £40. 8)

Dave 1986 07-22-2008 01:06 AM

That explains why I could hardly hear Coverdales voice. I'd heard already that is voice wasn't as goo as the old days, but I'm actually quite hurt he lip-synced alot of it. There was me thinking they were the best out of the 3.

I think I will buy Thunder's 2nd album as Low Life In High Places is on there, which I loved.

Supersonic 07-22-2008 06:55 PM

Aloha !

I was wondering if Coverdale was miming when I saw Whitesnake at Wembley Arena but thought he'd never do so and thought it was probably the sound effect they layed over his vocals. I didn't even dare to start about it when I was standing there with Tom, but find it shocking and sad.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

LozLovesBonJovi 07-23-2008 09:24 PM

I missed Def Leppard and Whitesnake!! Gutted!! :(

Bleeding Purist 08-08-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 867858)
Aloha !

I was wondering if Coverdale was miming when I saw Whitesnake at Wembley Arena but thought he'd never do so and thought it was probably the sound effect they layed over his vocals. I didn't even dare to start about it when I was standing there with Tom, but find it shocking and sad.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I'm late and this is old now, but whatever...

I don't think he is miming, but you are probably right about the sound effect to hide the weakness. If you check out the live DVD, "Live In the Still of the Night," EVERY TIME there is a dramatic drawn out vocal part, the camera cuts away or starts using visual effects rather than focusing on David with a close up. It's very noticable and extremely annoying.

Bleeding Purist 08-08-2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad4Jovi (Post 867543)
Thunder's 2nd album Laughing on Judgement Day is fantastic so once you've realised how awesome they are with BSS, make that one your next buy. Also Thunder are touring the UK in Nov - www.thunderonline.com ;)

As for the tour, I was at the Liverpool show. I thought Thunder rocked, if Danny did get a bit panto with the singalongs. I guess that's good in a support slot, right? Anyway, I love 'em and thought they went down well with the crowd. Looking forward to the headline tour in November.

David Coverdale did a cracking job of mimnig while the guy on the keyboards did most of the singing. Also from where I was standing on the sounddesk I could see when the pre-recorded vocals were phased in and out. I remember when Whitsnake rocked, and up until 3/4 years ago, DC could still hold his own. I'm afraid once you need the pre-records it's time to hang up your boots.

Despite Joe Elliots voice being weaker than it used to be I didn't think it was that detrimental to the show. I thought most of their set rocked and enjoyed reliving my youth. Not convinced I'd go and seethem again though.

All in all, wasn't bad for 3 classic rock bands for £40. 8)

I saw Whitesnake in 2003 and was very impressed as were most people at the time. He was working hard and the band as a whole was pretty much on fire. It was my 2nd time seeing Coverdale, the first being on the Slip of the Tongue tour back in 1990....a not so memorable moment (it was boring.) There didnt' seem to be any hijinks going on, but touring was fresh for him at the time.

I guess things have changed since 2003. The last time I saw them was in 2006, but my hearing blew out on me during that show halfway through "Burn."

Supersonic 08-08-2008 05:41 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 871080)
I don't think he is miming, but you are probably right about the sound effect to hide the weakness. If you check out the live DVD, "Live In the Still of the Night," EVERY TIME there is a dramatic drawn out vocal part, the camera cuts away or starts using visual effects rather than focusing on David with a close up. It's very noticable and extremely annoying.

He was miming. I've checked with other Whitesnake fans and they've also said he was miming.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Bleeding Purist 08-08-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 871083)
Aloha !

He was miming. I've checked with other Whitesnake fans and they've also said he was miming.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Well then I'm not missing out on anything!

Bleeding Purist 08-13-2008 11:37 AM

For those who care......

Def Leppard is back in the states and the set list has changed. Mirror Mirror has been replaced with Make Love Like a Man. Nine Lives, praise be, has been dropped and replaced with "Go."