Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Def Leppard vs Bon Jovi (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=53684)

Captain_jovi 12-05-2011 04:27 PM

That's kind of what worries me. I much prefer the sound of non-electronic drums and get worried it's a session guy.

Iceman 12-05-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1077349)
Some fair points and some I think you're way off about. The ratio of solos in Lep songs to Jovi songs is pretty steep. There are far more Leppard solos. I agree with the production, it's too plastic sounding. Sometimes I wonder if Rick is on them as much as we're lead to believe. Has anyone heard otherwise? I know there were a handful of the Yeah! tracks that aren't him.

The way Leps have recorded since Hysteria (apart from Slang) is that the drums are programmed and Rick only plays the cymbals live. It was even shown on some home video, like Visualize or something. It's no secret, although I'm not sure if they still do it.

To be frank, none of you (or me for that matter) could tell the difference between real and sampled drums anymore, it's not been possible in years. The only way to tell is if the time is too perfect, but even that can be faked.

Ice

Walleris 12-05-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1077354)
The way Leps have recorded since Hysteria (apart from Slang) is that the drums are programmed and Rick only plays the cymbals live. It was even shown on some home video, like Visualize or something. It's no secret, although I'm not sure if they still do it.

To be frank, none of you (or me for that matter) could tell the difference between real and sampled drums anymore, it's not been possible in years. The only way to tell is if the time is too perfect, but even that can be faked.

Ice

I'm not a Leppard fan, but I've heard that the last decade Rick has made his drum kit more acoustic again, so I think he's playing everything again with his feet.

danfan 12-05-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1077356)
I'm not a Leppard fan, but I've heard that the last decade Rick has made his drum kit more acoustic again, so I think he's playing everything again with his feet.

Sure seemed that way the last time I saw them.

Captain_jovi 12-05-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Yeah. I'm referring to the songs on Slang and a few here and there that aren't his usual kit. I'm not asking for a full acoustic set, just something a little more realistic. I loved the songs on Euphoria but the production on the drums drove me up the wall.

Matrix15 12-05-2011 10:20 PM

I love Def Lep, but the only reason people see them are to listen to their old sound - The Hysteria, Adrenalize, Pyromania sound. When they tour they only play the hits (even though albums like Euphoria had perfectly good material). When they tried to expand musically (Slang) then they were met with less success that they had before and never really recovered.

Like Jovi, Leps post 2000 stuff has been mediocre with a few good exceptions. X (2002) was an album that is reminiscent of some of Jovi's efforts from around the same time (Bounce/HAND). Theres a middle of the road, cliched lyrics, wall of guitars, slightly overpolished sound that both of the aging pop metal bands adopted.

Iceman 12-06-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Live he's been playing everything apart from a few loops (like Rocket), but it's not "acoustic", it can't be since he's triggering the sounds with his feet.

I was referring to recordings.

Ice

The Rock 12-07-2011 12:55 PM

Jon and Def Leppard on stage together 1992

Sami 12-07-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1077354)

To be frank, none of you (or me for that matter) could tell the difference between real and sampled drums anymore, it's not been possible in years. Ice

Now that we are discussing drumming, I´m going to bring this up: Can you or someone else confirm if the drums on BJ´s This Is Love This Is Life are actually real or fake? I mean, there are hardly no fills at all and the overall feel on the track is a bit machine-like. It makes me wonder if Shanks has gone a bit too far this time.

Sorry to change the subject, though.

Captain_jovi 12-07-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sami (Post 1077441)
Now that we are discussing drumming, I´m going to bring this up: Can you or someone else confirm if the drums on BJ´s This Is Love This Is Life are actually real or fake? I mean, there are hardly no fills at all and the overall feel on the track is a bit machine-like. It makes me wonder if Shanks has gone a bit too far this time.

Sorry to change the subject, though.

Ditto to No Apologies. Both sound so plastic.

And I've said this before but I wouldn't pin it on Shanks completely. The band can veto anything they don't like. Granted you'd think the machine was there due to the speedy length of time they record songs now.