Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Video versions of songs in decent quality MP3? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70336)

Dave 1986 05-13-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1241417)
Ripping to wav doesn't make too much sense unless he has a VHS-sourced DVD with LPCM sound. Any other format (especially Youtube) has applied its own compression to the sound already, so ripping to 320 (or probably even 256) kbit/s is absolutely enough since it saves room and conserves the quality.

That’s a good point. DVD audio ac3 is a lossy format anyway so it might be worth checking exact bitrate and convert straight to mp3 with the same settings. That way you’re hopefully maintaining quality and saving disc space.

DVD Audio Extractor as an option to demux the audio track directly bit-perfect without re-encoding so that might be useful to do first.

Thinny 05-13-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1241417)
Ripping to wav doesn't make too much sense unless he has a VHS-sourced DVD with LPCM sound. Any other format (especially Youtube) has applied its own compression to the sound already, so ripping to 320 (or probably even 256) kbit/s is absolutely enough since it saves room and conserves the quality.

No, I know, I was just thinking that it resolves the bitrate issue with the MP3 if he doesn't know how to change the settings on the software. Was just thinking of the simplest option.

danfan 05-14-2018 09:50 PM

Here is what I ended up with:

Size: 82.8mb
Bit Rate: 1647 kbps
Sample Size: 24 bit
Sample Rate: 48.00kHz

bonjovi90 05-14-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1241480)
Here is what I ended up with:

Size: 82.8mb
Bit Rate: 1647 kbps
Sample Size: 24 bit
Sample Rate: 48.00kHz

Sample Size: 16 bit is enough (since the upload or the DVD hasn't a higher size either)
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz is enough if ripped from Youtube (that's the common rate for audio CDs, 48 kHz is VHS/DVD format)
Bit Rate: 320 kbps is flawless for these kind of things in MP3 format ;)

danfan 05-14-2018 10:01 PM

Listening on ear phones and sound is awesome. It's just so low on my car speakers. That whole turning the volume thing inside of iTunes does nothing to help.

FTR - These are ripped from the DVD of the New Jersey deluxe edition

Dave 1986 05-14-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1241482)
Listening on ear phones and sound is awesome. It's just so low on my car speakers. That whole turning the volume thing inside of iTunes does nothing to help.

FTR - These are ripped from the DVD of the New Jersey deluxe edition

Some, in fact a lot of, DVDs audio volume is quite low but that can be fixed. MP3Gain is a nifty tool to quickly boost up volume without re-encoding and changes can be easily undone as well without harming the original files. Another useful program is Audacity, which has an “amplify” option.

bonjovi90 05-15-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1241483)
Some, in fact a lot of, DVDs audio volume is quite low but that can be fixed. MP3Gain is a nifty tool to quickly boost up volume without re-encoding and changes can be easily undone as well without harming the original files. Another useful program is Audacity, which has an “amplify” option.

Yep I've been using MP3Gain for years as well. Excellent tool!

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

danfan 05-15-2018 07:01 PM

I used Audacity. Sounds great with earphones, but no different in car.

bonjovi90 05-15-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1241549)
I used Audacity. Sounds great with earphones, but no different in car.

Then maybe the sound system in your car just isn't good.

jazzsta 05-16-2018 09:27 AM

I think Audacity & MP3gain do not change the .mp3 file, but add some info to their own indexing of the user's files so that they are played louder when played from this platform.

This can be tested by using a third media reproducing software to see if the changes in volume are registered and audible there as well.

If that is the case, it is expected that in the car nothing would change.

I suppose one needs a proper (but not necessarily super professional or complex) sound editing software, in order to really amplify these mp3s/wavs. The process is also called "normalization" in the respective software.