Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Happy 10th Birthday Lost Highway (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70029)

steel_horse75 06-19-2017 09:32 PM

Happy 10th Birthday Lost Highway

10 years today since it was released.

Thoughts???

Love Memory, any other day, we got in going on, walk like a man, put the boy back in cowboy.

Don't mind lost highway, summertime, seat next to you

The rest....not for me.

Sums up all albums after These Days, patchy.

Kathleen 06-19-2017 09:34 PM

Whole Lot of Leavin' is the best song on the album in my opinion. I love the writing. I like Memory and even Lost Highway itself. I don't even listen to the last half of the record - after Any Other Day.

Rdkopper 06-19-2017 09:35 PM

This was the worst release to date at this point... Not because of the Country Vibe... but the songs are just all around lazy...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 06-19-2017 09:54 PM

It's the last time they sounded like a band playing songs together. Lonely and some of the songs gave me a big '94 vibe. Some of it works and some of it not so much. Quite a bit of filler.

KeepTheFaith2211 06-19-2017 10:59 PM

I believe 'Lost Highway' (the song) is absolutely brilliant. Along with 'Whole Lot Of Leaving'. 'Make A Memory' is a great ballad.
I have a soft spot for 'One Step Closer' and 'Seat Next To You'. 'Til We Ain't Strangers Anymore' is good.
The rest I really don't care for, but I like the album.

bonjovi90 06-19-2017 11:11 PM

Hated it when it was released, but some songs really grew on me later on.
I like the bridge of Lost Highway, really appreciate Make A Memory and Whole Lot of Leavin' and still get a kick out of the legendary Any Other Day performance that I listen to on a regular basis. The other songs have good moments like the lyrics to One Step Closer, but the 2nd half of the album feels a little bland (like on WAN, but the quality on LH is higher for me).
Like it is the case with most of the band albums, the bonus tracks really work for me. Walk Like A Man fit like a glove when I was entering adulthood about 1-2 years after the album's release, Put The Boy Back In Cowboy is the fun country-rock song I had originally pictured from the band when they had announced that they were going country and I just love the feel of Lonely.
These 3 on the album would've made for a much better record in my book.

Becky 06-19-2017 11:21 PM

I really enjoy the album, but I agree that the bonus tracks should have been traded out and it would have been a better album. They completely missed the boat by not releasing Walk Like a Man as a single. Did anyone even listen to the country market they were trying to break into? Because I was constantly listening to country at that point and it was, without a doubt, the strongest contender for country radio. Market research, people! Market research! Still, other than This House, it's the 2000's album I listen to most.

JackieBlue 06-20-2017 03:40 AM

Lost Highway is one of my favorite BJ albums, if I had to rank them. (That's today, of course. Ask on another day, and it might be almost any of the others.) Maybe it's because I didn't start following them until after HAND was released; so, it was my first "new release". Or it could be that I like the "Nashville influence". I've always been 'a little bit country and a little bit rock'n'roll'.

The DVD concert is one that I can watch over and over; and there's not a song on the album that I don't like. My least favorite would be I Love This Town just because the first time I listened to it I didn't think it fit well with the rest of the album. It seemed to have jarring tone to it, compared to the mellowness of most of the other songs; and it always felt to me it like it was just tacked on to the end, like an afterthought, almost. I still don't think it fits the album; but the song itself has grown on me.

WLOL, Memory, and AOD are among my favorite songs from any of their albums. The bridge in LH has some of the neatest lyrics ever, IMO, and I love WGIGO. But then I love Big & Rich, too, so that wasn't a big surprise. :)

Becky 06-20-2017 03:57 AM

I love WGIGO and I love Big & Rich too. They are underrated as artists because of the Music Mafia image. At one time, about half the songs on the country chart had John Rich in the writing credits! I was disappointed that the Newark shows I attended didn't coincide wit the dates they opened.

ch1990 06-20-2017 04:24 AM

I remember buying this album the day of it's release. I was 17 years old and had been a die hard Bon Jovi fan since Crush. The 'country' vibe on this album nearly scared me off, but in reality its not that 'country'. This albums has grown on my over the years, I love Summertime, Whole Lot of Leavin', Any Other Day, The Last Night, One Step Closer, and I Love This Town. I also believe Walk Like A Man should have replaced Til We Aint Strangers Anymore! These days I would actually rank this album pretty high...