Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   If I Was Your Mother (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70954)

Savvi 09-07-2022 04:57 PM

If I Was Your Mother

I just listened to this song with fresh ears and rewatched the video clip... daaammm this song rocks. It's so under rated too. It's heavy, it's dark. it's different, it's lyrically twisted. Jon's vocals and passion are epic. The bass and drum line is so good. And the hook is so catchy with the awesome backing vocals. Not to mention a fantastic guitar solo. Everything about this song is amazing.

While I prefer I Believe, In These Arms, Bed of Roses and Keep the Faith, this song absolutely rocks and is in the top half of the tracks on what is an AMAZING album.

I've just found a new appreciation for it.

Your thoughts?

bonjovi90 09-07-2022 05:37 PM

Absolutely loving this tune! Heard it dozens of times from Bounce at it delivered amazing energy time and time again :)

Gesendet von meinem X30 mit Tapatalk

Logan72 09-07-2022 06:06 PM

Yes - totally agree. I always wished it got more attention at the time. Although they made a video I don't think that helped with the popularity, as I think it could have actually worked as a single with more of a dark Metallica/GnR type storyboard video of the time, but that was never really Bon Jovi until after the Keep The Faith album.

It was very Bob Rock's Metallica sound from their Black album the year before too and is a seamless transition from him working with Metallica onto KTF I think - it could almost have been from Metallica's Black album. Not sure what they would think about that!

I'd hoped for more of that darker, heavier grungey type sound from KTF rather than Sleep When I'm Dead, which I thought was a bit out of place on that album.

Captain_jovi 09-07-2022 06:08 PM

AFAIK it wasn't a single and the video was just a bonus video for the KTF VHS collection of music videos. Feel free to correct me if anyone knows better though!

Logan72 09-07-2022 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1282533)
AFAIK it wasn't a single and the video was just a bonus video for the KTF VHS collection of music videos. Feel free to correct me if anyone knows better though!

Yes, that's right - it wasn't a single.

blazeofglory 09-07-2022 06:27 PM

Great song! I remember back when I heard it for the first time it didn’t really work for me because I thought the lyrics were too weird, but eventually it clicked and now I think the fact that the lyrics are so weird and twisted is part of what makes it so brilliant. And it’s a total rocker of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butters 09-08-2022 12:32 AM

Brilliant song. The first seven tracks on Keep The Faith are flawless.

B.J. Always 09-08-2022 07:54 AM

I know what Jon meant in the song, but a man singing If I Was Your Mother didn't do a lot for me.

BJFan2021 09-09-2022 06:41 PM

Love the bridge to this song! Always hypes me up for the final chorus. BJ were and always will be good at writing bridges.

BJFan2021 09-09-2022 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan72 (Post 1282532)
I'd hoped for more of that darker, heavier grungey type sound from KTF rather than Sleep When I'm Dead, which I thought was a bit out of place on that album.

I see what you mean, but I actually really enjoyed those (what I would call) classic rock tunes like Sleep as you mentioned, Blame It On The Love…, A Little Bit of Soul