Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Official July 14 Werchter Festival Grounds, Werchter, Belgium Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70605)

bjcrazycpa 07-16-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roll (Post 1257207)
If that's true, Jon is dumb as ****. I must admit that I don't quite compute how stupid you must be to start smoking in your mid-30s, especially when you're a professional singer, but quit then start smoking again while he had voice issues as far back as mid 2000s, seriously ?

Then again, when you've got money coming out of your ass like Jon, quit smoking for a tax issue while everyone has known for 50 years that smoking causes cancer ?

I can attest he did not START smoking in his mid thirties. I saw him smoking off stage on a 7800 tour show in OKC, OK in 1985. The entire family smokes (or did at one time). When he was doing the movie thing he said he started but that meant again out of boredom from sitting on the set. I had always heard that while touring he would not smoke but that was second hand information so don't take it as gospel.

bonjovi90 07-16-2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1257208)
I can attest he did not START smoking in his mid thirties. I saw him smoking off stage on a 7800 tour show in OKC, OK in 1985. The entire family smokes (or did at one time). When he was doing the movie thing he said he started but that meant again out of boredom from sitting on the set. I had always heard that while touring he would not smoke but that was second hand information so don't take it as gospel.

I think in the 80's, the entire band was smoking now and then (Tico and Alec even on the stage). In the mid-90's, Jon's acting period was the thing where it really drifted off I guess. Hell, there's even video footage of him standing on the stage singing with a cigarette in his hand from 1996.

BJFan99 07-16-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roll (Post 1257207)
If that's true, Jon is dumb as ****. I must admit that I don't quite compute how stupid you must be to start smoking in your mid-30s, especially when you're a professional singer, but quit then start smoking again while he had voice issues as far back as mid 2000s, seriously ?

Once you're addicted, you're always addicted, unless you have a REALLY strong will of quitting for good. Jon obviously didn't/doesn't have, and that's definitely a big part of what he's now paying the price for every single night.

BJFan99 07-16-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1257204)
I don't think I've seen a crowd as dead as this and I'm not blaming them as the sounds coming from the stage aren't pleasant.

https://youtu.be/2TWcYkle92o

Please, somebody, wake us all up from this nightmare already... Jon's voice is so well and truly F*CKED, I almost can't believe how bad it's gotten even since 2015-16, let alone earlier :(

bonjovi90 07-16-2019 07:07 PM

Just listening to John Fogerty's performance from Werchter. Wow, a 74-year old and his band playing circles around the headliner! Kenny Aronoff on drums :)

BJFan99 07-16-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1257213)
Just listening to John Fogerty's performance from Werchter. Wow, a 74-year old and his band playing circles around the headliner! Kenny Aronoff on drums :)

I actually agree with the newspaper review saying that Bon Jovi doesn't deserve to be a festival headliner anymore. Jon has always said that he doesn't want to end up playing fairs, but the sad truth is that he's no longer even in the league of some of the better singers/bands playing fair gigs. He's lost just about everything that made him and the band such a special live act.

DestinationJovi 07-16-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJFan99 (Post 1257205)
Yes, he did, and yes, he apparently has. Around late 2011/early 2012 a group of fans ran into Jon during the filming break of the movie New Year's Eve and asked him some questions about the film. One of them managed to sneak in a camera and posted a video on YouTube, which showed Jon smoking while talking with the fans. To this day, I haven't been able to find the video - perhaps it's been removed -, but I vividly remember reading about it here a couple years back.

Filming for New Year's Eve ended mid 2011. The movie was released late 2011.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but there was definitely a video on YouTube of Jon being asked questions about the movie while he smoked, but the one I saw was of just one guy asking him questions interview style and he was not sneaking or hiding his phone. It was at night, and Jon was sitting on the step of his trailer smoking and drinking coffee.

DestinationJovi 07-16-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1257208)
I had always heard that while touring he would not smoke but that was second hand information so don't take it as gospel.

The WWWB documentary was filmed during the LH tour and Jon was smoking throughout the entire thing.

DavetheGodofKeys 07-16-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJFan99 (Post 1257212)
Please, somebody, wake us all up from this nightmare already... Jon's voice is so well and truly F*CKED, I almost can't believe how bad it's gotten even since 2015-16, let alone earlier :(

Oh c'mon now, you're exaggerating. Yes, his voice has fallen off since the UK shows, but it's nowhere near as bad as in 2015/16. His voice and tone were at their weakest back then.

bjcrazycpa 07-16-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestinationJovi (Post 1257216)
The WWWB documentary was filmed during the LH tour and Jon was smoking throughout the entire thing.

Precisely and that is why I never quite took the information as 100% valid. Could be that was an intention that never stuck ha ha!!