Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The bands alcohol/drug use (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70154)

Becky 12-07-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1231198)
I know it was a 'dark' time but I've thought for a long time that the These Days album always had an extra meaning too it.

The lyrics/song titles are extremely deep and it's almost as if Jon is confessing a lot.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Richie said that Jon was “working out his demons” on These Days when asked about it during the Crush era. I read it and immediately called another fan because we were floored that Richie had actually made the statement since it was so unguarded.

It did not change my view of These Days. The darkness was always there to see.

liljovi93 12-07-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1231208)
Richie said that Jon was “working out his demons” on These Days when asked about it during the Crush era. I read it and immediately called another fan because we were floored that Richie had actually made the statement since it was so unguarded.

It did not change my view of These Days. The darkness was always there to see.

Yeah. I know the story and stuff but I just think that it's definitely got more to it.

Lie To Me, Damned, Something To Believe In, If That's What It Takes, Hearts Breaking Even etc.. all about hearts being broken or love or losing touch of something.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Eveline 12-07-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1231211)
Yeah. I know the story and stuff but I just think that it's definitely got more to it.
Lie To Me, Damned, Something To Believe In, If That's What It Takes, Hearts Breaking Even etc.. all about hearts being broken or love or losing touch of something.

Wasn't that because Dot actually filed for divorce but found out she was pregnant with Stephanie and decided against it? At least this is the rumour I heard. But then it was around 1992 so KTF era and TD was recorded two years later so dunno if that could be the problem. Besides Dot was pregnant with Jesse at that time so don't think they were fighting. Could it be about another person then? It sounds very personal for Jon himself so it had to be someone close to him.

Rdkopper 12-07-2017 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eveline (Post 1231221)
Wasn't that because Dot actually filed for divorce but found out she was pregnant with Stephanie and decided against it? At least this is the rumour I heard. But then it was around 1992 so KTF era and TD was recorded two years later so dunno if that could be the problem. Besides Dot was pregnant with Jesse at that time so don't think they were fighting. Could it be about another person then? It sounds very personal for Jon himself so it had to be someone close to him.

Never heard of any of that

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Eveline 12-07-2017 10:17 PM

Oh, can't remember the source now, sorry. But if not Dot, then who? Destination Anywhere sounds awfully personal, too.

Becky 12-07-2017 10:33 PM

None of that is true.

Jon and Dorothea became closer during 1990-92. He credits her with saving her life when he was in a deep depression.

David and his first wife were separated during that general time frame. Maybe someone is confused over who it was. I have a friend who went to Jon’s house in June 1994 and she met David there because he was staying with Jon at the time. He talked pretty freely too.

Jon and Dorothea had a big fight that inspired some songs on Destination Anywhere. It was not a marriage ending type fight though. They were pretty happy hopping around Europe in that era. There was illness and death on Dorothea’s side of the family that brought them closer together during that time period too.

Eveline 12-07-2017 10:42 PM

Oh, interesting. Thank you Becky! So it means TD is inspired with Dave's heartbreak as much LH is with Richie's?

Becky 12-07-2017 11:25 PM

Hey God—news story. Dorothea should have a writing credit because she’s the one who said “two paychecks away from living on the street.”

Something for the Pain—blatantly trying to rewrite Bad Medicine

This Ain’t a Love Song—Jon was listening to a lot of soul at the time

These Days—world, band, fans

Lie to Me—continues the story of Tommy and Gina without their names

It’s Hard Letting You Go—Moonlight and Valentino

Hearts Breaking Even—Richie’s first date with Heather

Something to Believe In—idea started at end of NJ tour and Jon kept saying it was a positive song. I finally realized what he meant. It’s positive or negative depending on how you hear/interpre the same words. Very clever writing IMO

Diamond Ring—written same day as Wanted. Jon had decided to pop the question. Finally made a record, which was unusual given how old it was.

My Guitar—started the same way as Bed of Roses. Jon didn’t feel like writing, so he started writing anyway

What It Takes—meant to convey the basic idea as something like IBTFY, the positive, solidarity love song

Damned—Jon wanted something befitting a brass section

Those are ones I remember Jon talking about directly.

Rdkopper 12-07-2017 11:42 PM

There is a lot of information in these past few posts that I don't believe

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Eveline 12-07-2017 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1231232)
There is a lot of information in these past few posts that I don't believe

Why? Becky explained things pretty clearly and it makes sense.