Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Metallica... (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69618)

rolo_tomachi 03-30-2023 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry (Post 1284732)
Looking forward to this song. The sample was already amazing. Hopefully as good as Spit Out The Bone.

Boring track. Another wasted opportunity.

This gif sums it up best
https://i.ibb.co/h1X7SDh/fail.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1284726)

What I understand from this article: "The album is ****ing shit, but Metallica can't do anything else, so you better have a very open mind because it is what it is".

steel_horse75 03-30-2023 04:14 PM

For me the one issue i have with Metallica on the last few albums....the intros are way too long.
Its ok if a song comes up on random or in a playlist but stick the album on and its a hard listen after several songs.

I think this is what the review is saying...its a hard listen as we have loads of long songs with long intros.

Im looking forward to it but Metallicas latest stuff has become music you really have to be in the mood for.

Ive enjoyed what ive heard but know that there will be times when i cant be arsed with it.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Thierry 03-30-2023 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1284734)
Boring track. Another wasted opportunity.

This gif sums it up best
https://i.ibb.co/h1X7SDh/fail.gif

Agreed, I'm let down as well. Too long and it never takes off.

steel_horse75 04-04-2023 11:41 PM

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/...seasons-review

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 04-13-2023 01:13 PM

What do you think of the new album? some nice surprises, but the songs are too long.

Some songs are growing on me. And that's cool.

Next video

semigoodlooking 04-15-2023 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1284864)
What do you think of the new album? some nice surprises, but the songs are too long.

Some songs are growing on me. And that's cool.

Next video
Metallica: Sleepwalk My Life Away (Official Music Video) - YouTube

It has loads of interesting parts and lots I enjoy. However, I don't think I really love one song all the way through. Although, I am mostly still comparing against the classic albums which is just unfair at this point. If I put it in persepctive of these being 60 years old, it is an impressive album. I can't think of other bands of their size and age that can still more or less compete with newer bands in their genre. Even so, there is no instant classic song here or even one I am desperate to hear when I see them next.

rolo_tomachi 04-15-2023 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1284885)
It has loads of interesting parts and lots I enjoy. However, I don't think I really love one song all the way through. Although, I am mostly still comparing against the classic albums which is just unfair at this point. If I put it in persepctive of these being 60 years old, it is an impressive album. I can't think of other bands of their size and age that can still more or less compete with newer bands in their genre. Even so, there is no instant classic song here or even one I am desperate to hear when I see them next.

My problem with songs is that the structures are too long and sometimes it slows down. Making them shorter or less repetitive would have been great. Hardwired got a better balance on that.

Room Of Mirrors video

semigoodlooking 04-16-2023 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1284888)
My problem with songs is that the structures are too long and sometimes it slows down. Making them shorter or less repetitive would have been great. Hardwired got a better balance on that.
]

You're right, although I think it is the reptitivness and not neccesarily songs slowing down or being too long. I mean Justice had that sort of vibe but was so dynamic that it worked and became a classic. This new collection of songs lacks the same dynamism so songs become repetitive.

I do not hate the album because at the end of the day it is not poor or badly done. I just find it an odd mix of excellent and bland, and it swings betwee both in a single song.

rolo_tomachi 04-16-2023 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1284906)
You're right, although I think it is the reptitivness and not neccesarily songs slowing down or being too long. I mean Justice had that sort of vibe but was so dynamic that it worked and became a classic. This new collection of songs lacks the same dynamism so songs become repetitive.

I do not hate the album because at the end of the day it is not poor or badly done. I just find it an odd mix of excellent and bland, and it swings betwee both in a single song.

I agree, and I think this album will grow with time.

Here you can see how the experience of a song like Inamorata improves, making some cuts in those repetitive parts.

It just flows better for me.

steel_horse75 04-22-2023 12:20 AM

its the first album since the Black album that I instantly like - i did like most of Hardwired but dont like Death Magnetic or St Anger.

Theres some old and new Metallica on this and I think thats why its so good. Of course some songs are too long but thats Metallica.

rolo_tomachi 04-24-2023 01:39 PM

METALLICA's '72 Seasons' No. 2 On BILLBOARD 200 Album Chart (sold 146,000 equivalent album units in the U.S. in its first week of release) and No. 1 in UK.

April 27 2023 Update! 72 Seasons is N#1 on BILLBOARD top album sales.

That's crazy.

steel_horse75 04-28-2023 08:23 AM

metallica are huge. They also have an excellent social media team who flood socials with Metallica stuff even when inactive.

rolo_tomachi 04-28-2023 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1284982)
metallica are huge. They also have an excellent social media team who flood socials with Metallica stuff even when inactive.

Yeah. I'm surprised the album wasn't leaked days before. I was able to get a link of it just hours before the theatrical release. A great achievement. Although this is less surprising every day, since physical albums is not being sold as before, people no longer have CD players on their computers, it is no longer so usual and easy to filter a compact disc.

Supersonic 04-28-2023 01:48 PM

Aloha !

I went to the opening night of this tour. I saw Metallica last on Pinkpop and thought that was one of the worst shows I've ever seen any big band do. Last night wasn't much better.

There were tempo changes, tempo changes, tempo changes and tempo changes on top of messed up fills every 4 bars. Lars is all over the place, dominates the mix and frankly takes all the life out of the show. It got to a point with the entire band standing 200 meters away from eachother trying to find the groove all while Lars is not connected to the entire thing.

The setlist was alright but not the rarities fest they'd promised and had a total lack of flow with a small break after every 3 songs which meant they were never giving a full show and you'd never get into it.

The visuals weren't particularly great either. You were either looking at cheap graphics or partial shots of the band. I'd say this was my last time seeing Metallica unless they change drummers. I don't think they mind though, it's pretty clear they're doing it for the sake of doing it as opposed to an actual drive of wanting to perform at their very best. Near the end of the show they got close to a parody act pretending to be Metallica than actually being Metallica. And the sad thing is that their core audience has gotten so used to it they're able to get away with it as well.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

rolo_tomachi 04-29-2023 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1284985)
Aloha !

I went to the opening night of this tour. I saw Metallica last on Pinkpop and thought that was one of the worst shows I've ever seen any big band do. Last night wasn't much better.

There were tempo changes, tempo changes, tempo changes and tempo changes on top of messed up fills every 4 bars. Lars is all over the place, dominates the mix and frankly takes all the life out of the show. It got to a point with the entire band standing 200 meters away from eachother trying to find the groove all while Lars is not connected to the entire thing.

The setlist was alright but not the rarities fest they'd promised and had a total lack of flow with a small break after every 3 songs which meant they were never giving a full show and you'd never get into it.

The visuals weren't particularly great either. You were either looking at cheap graphics or partial shots of the band. I'd say this was my last time seeing Metallica unless they change drummers. I don't think they mind though, it's pretty clear they're doing it for the sake of doing it as opposed to an actual drive of wanting to perform at their very best. Near the end of the show they got close to a parody act pretending to be Metallica than actually being Metallica. And the sad thing is that their core audience has gotten so used to it they're able to get away with it as well.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

As devil's advocate I will say that it was the first show on tour and they opened with a new stage. I agree that song list can kill the experience and the pauses no help. I mean this is a new album, and opening with Orion is anti-climactic, and damn I love that instrumental track, but it wasn't wise to use it on the first show of the tour. Also the lack of more songs from the new album makes the experience less exciting. It may not be a popular album, but they could have released a couple of songs from the new album to make this set more resonant with what it represents, the 72 Tour.

Using energetic songs in the first three songs could change the mood of the rest of the show.

I don't know how James can sing Lux in such high pitches for his age.

Apart from that, let's see what happens tonight.

The new setting has left me cold, it seems like an attempt to be U2 or something. At least I would like there to be more light play with those lasers that could be seen in the Lux Aeterna video. If you're going to be like U2, do better.

rolo_tomachi 04-30-2023 11:36 AM

Night two seems like a big improvement.

Until it Sleeps sound awesome. This one ages like fine wine.

If Darkness Had A Son live sounds better than on the album.

Fight Fight with Fire still an earthquake.

Supersonic 05-01-2023 12:06 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1284987)
As devil's advocate I will say that it was the first show on tour and they opened with a new stage. I agree that song list can kill the experience and the pauses no help. I mean this is a new album, and opening with Orion is anti-climactic, and damn I love that instrumental track, but it wasn't wise to use it on the first show of the tour. Also the lack of more songs from the new album makes the experience less exciting. It may not be a popular album, but they could have released a couple of songs from the new album to make this set more resonant with what it represents, the 72 Tour.

Using energetic songs in the first three songs could change the mood of the rest of the show..

The lack of big hits was what made the setlist interesting and show more interesting as well. I think them doing the classics all over again time after time wears out. It was the breaks that killed the show, really. I don't think they should play more than 3 songs of a new album unless the album is a major hit. It's something that never works for any band. I don't mind rare songs opening a show and I'd never heard Orion. It turns out the song has a lengthy lead guitar part that wasn't audible that night. I could barely make out the lead guitar for the entire night because he was down in the mix so Orion was essentially 8 minutes of James doing power chords. I spoke to others who couldn't hear Kirk either so the issue wasn't related to the venue but due to Metallica's sound guys. And as for it being the first night; we're not talking about a tryout gig here. These kinks ought to be resolved before the show, not after.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

rolo_tomachi 05-01-2023 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1284990)
Aloha !

The lack of big hits was what made the setlist interesting and show more interesting as well. I think them doing the classics all over again time after time wears out. It was the breaks that killed the show, really. I don't think they should play more than 3 songs of a new album unless the album is a major hit. It's something that never works for any band. I don't mind rare songs opening a show and I'd never heard Orion. It turns out the song has a lengthy lead guitar part that wasn't audible that night. I could barely make out the lead guitar for the entire night because he was down in the mix so Orion was essentially 8 minutes of James doing power chords. I spoke to others who couldn't hear Kirk either so the issue wasn't related to the venue but due to Metallica's sound guys. And as for it being the first night; we're not talking about a tryout gig here. These kinks ought to be resolved before the show, not after.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

A fair point. About the songs on the new album, well I guess as a fan I always have that curiosity to know what they are like in a live environment. But I agree, with 3 songs I think it's enough. Just rotate it.

Were you also on the second night? what do you think about it?

Thierry 05-05-2023 11:58 AM

I had a great time at both shows while Lars drumming has been poor for ages. Very sloppy. Sound was bad the first night but really enjoyed the setlist a lot for both shows. Stage and visuals where great for me.

rolo_tomachi 05-05-2023 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry (Post 1285053)
I had a great time at both shows while Lars drumming has been poor for ages. Very sloppy. Sound was bad the first night but really enjoyed the setlist a lot for both shows. Stage and visuals where great for me.

Where did you see the show from? I'm worried about the vision with those towers.

Thierry 05-05-2023 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1285058)
Where did you see the show from? I'm worried about the vision with those towers.

2nd tier seating area. I also recorded both shows on audio. Let me know if you want them.

rolo_tomachi 05-10-2023 03:19 PM

Thierry 05-11-2023 02:37 PM

Compared the official soundboards of these 2 Amsterdam shows with my audience recordings.

Drums have been polished, vocals are pitched and auto tuned. The guy in the studio made them sound so much better. Especially Lars benefits from this.

rolo_tomachi 05-11-2023 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry (Post 1285141)
Compared the official soundboards of these 2 Amsterdam shows with my audience recordings.

Drums have been polished, vocals are pitched and auto tuned. The guy in the studio made them sound so much better. Especially Lars benefits from this.

Yeah, I noticed that Until Sleeps also sounds a bit different, I didn't know exactly what.

I adore Livemet mixes. So nice. Sometimes I wish the voice was a bit more emphasized though.

Supersonic 05-12-2023 11:28 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1284991)
A fair point. About the songs on the new album, well I guess as a fan I always have that curiosity to know what they are like in a live environment. But I agree, with 3 songs I think it's enough. Just rotate it.

Were you also on the second night? what do you think about it?

No, I didn't go to the second show. I was practically given these tickets for free so went anyway, fully realizing it probably wouldn't be the best concert I'd see. I didn't expect it to be this terrible though. I've just witnessed the 2 videos Metallica posted on their youTube channel and they're polished up, something I've been suspecting them of for years.

As for new stuff; I like to hear new songs if I think they're great but I feel 72 Seasons is just alright at best. Throwing 3 new songs of 72 Seasons in a 16 song setlist is pretty much the most you can do or your focus will shift towards mediocrity.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Thierry 05-12-2023 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1285153)
As for new stuff; I like to hear new songs if I think they're great but I feel 72 Seasons is just alright at best. Throwing 3 new songs of 72 Seasons in a 16 song setlist is pretty much the most you can do or your focus will shift towards mediocrity.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Agreeing about this; for my feeling they played too much new songs. Plus the best songs are left out like Room Of Mirrors and Inamorata. Sleepwalk and You Must Burn are not that good.

rolo_tomachi 05-13-2023 01:31 PM

A fantastic performance in my book.

Audience Recording

Soundboard Livemet

I think it's a pretty fair polish, as they are not manipulating things too much, just benefiting from a more consistent mix with respect to the direct sound of the venue, which seems more patchy and disperse (with those reverberations).

Thierry 05-15-2023 09:50 AM

Well, do the same for 72 Seasons and you'll know what I'm talking about.

rolo_tomachi 05-15-2023 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry (Post 1285167)
Well, do the same for 72 Seasons and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I was not there, so I can only compare terrible audience recordings, but I do notice in this one that the acoustics of the place were terrible. And the mix very unbalanced. The instruments do not differ due to an excess of reverberation in the place, was it so?

Audience

Obviously in soundboard audio, they can balance each instrument to its corresponding volume, sounding clearer and polishing both the vocals and the instruments.

SBD

Leaving the performance of the band aside, I would like to know if all this mess is due to the sound technicians not being up to the circumstances or maybe it was due to the venue.

Supersonic 05-16-2023 08:04 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1285168)
Leaving the performance of the band aside, I would like to know if all this mess is due to the sound technicians not being up to the circumstances or maybe it was due to the venue.

I'd say it's both. The stadium has a very bad reputation in Holland for its poor acoustics with people skipping their favourite artists if they're playing that venue. Yes, it's possible to have great sound there, but you'd have to soundcheck for hours, something I'm pretty positive they haven't done. When I saw Metallica for the first time they played the same venue, had roughly the same seats and it took them an hour to fix the sound.

However, you can't have 4 drumkits or whatever it is and have them sound the same every time either. It doesn't work like that, even if you setup the mikes the same way. Lars' drumkit sounded different every time it showed up. It's a novelty idea they're perfectly aware off isn't possible but they rely on gimmicks because they know their audience doesn't really care for great audio to begin with.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

rolo_tomachi 05-30-2023 09:22 PM

I Disappear Live in Paris - Time machine to summer 2000, do you remember?

Blackened Live in Paris - Killer performance!!

If Darkness Had A Son Live in Paris - Love the new songs.

M72 World Tour Live from Texas (Cinema Event Trailer)

steel_horse75 06-02-2023 08:51 AM

sounding great

rolo_tomachi 06-03-2023 04:43 PM

Until It Sleep Live Hamburg 2023

tobi is an animal 03-06-2024 07:34 PM

1. Hardwired...To Self-Destruct
2. 72 Seasons
3. Metallica
4. Load
5. Reload
6. ...And Justice For All