Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Official July 14 Werchter Festival Grounds, Werchter, Belgium Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70605)

DavetheGodofKeys 07-16-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry (Post 1257176)
Also let’s not forget he is still a smoker, while his voice is already in this shape.

Didn't he quit in 2010 or something? There was an Interview where he said that he was pissed off about the cigarette tax or something along those lines which made him quit. Has he picked up smoking again?

faith1985 07-16-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1257181)
Aloha !

Wembley wasn't decent. Wembley wasn't as worse as you expected. Vocally it was still a trainwreck, as was the rest of the tour with the supposedly "Great shows". It's just that you're used to the way Jon sings nowadays but there's no way greatness comes anywhere near it.

They're all on that stage because of ego and money. There's no way any of them still feel rewarded playing the same songs over and over again with no real change. The reason the band was excited in the period 2008-2011 was because of the change in the set and the way the band worked in the studio. That's all gone as Jon's sole reason is to be as comfortable possible while doing the most uncomfortable thing in his life right now; singing.

If it was up to the band they'd be doing different songs. Recording different records. It's not going to change though and it's been this way for quite some time so for now all they've got to do is go through the motions, look excited, and then move on after 3 weeks of touring. It's easy money. There'll be enough in the bank to justify the extreme expenses millionaires do and at the same time there'll be more than enough time not to worry about anything band-related. No one's on that stage for the music anymore and it shows with every single performance. If they'd care for the music they'd have stopped 10 years ago.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I have to disagree about the Wembley show, Seb. Before the show I was constantly complaining about Jon and the band. Sure the show was not as great as many other shows I have seen but parts of it had the band I used to love back. No comparison to Munich. Jon had its moments at Wembley and the only thing real negative thing - apart from Shanks - was the length of the show.

As I already said, I think it is more complicated than Jon just wanting money, there are always different motivations in all of us and I think for Jon: he doesn't know what else to do. Is it ego anong other things? Yes, sure. What is he supposed to do? Ok, yeah, helping the rest of his family to earn money because no one in this family did anything without Jon's celebrity help (one more kid to go), but what then?

faith1985 07-16-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavetheGodofKeys (Post 1257183)
Didn't he quit in 2010 or something? There was an Interview where he said that he was pissed off about the cigarette tax or something along those lines which made him quit. Has he picked up smoking again?

Yes, I think he doesn't smoke anymore.

Dave88 07-16-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

He did quit during the Circle era in order to "lower life insurance rates", but I wouldn't be surprised if he picked up again during the 2013-2016 turmoil.

YOVANAfromPeru 07-16-2019 01:46 PM

JackieBlue, I interpreted like it could be the military song??? but not only about men, also about women?? or about HIS personal trauma? I guess we’ll have to wait the new album...

YOVANAfromPeru 07-16-2019 03:34 PM

Prayer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5tM...youtu.be&t=107

JackieBlue 07-16-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1257195)
JackieBlue, I interpreted like it could be the military song??? but not only about men, also about women?? or about HIS personal trauma? I guess we’ll have to wait the new album...

I'm not interpreting it one way or another yet. ;)
Although I have to admit, my first thought was, "Oh shit! Here we go again!" with a rehash of the way he promoted THINFS by bringing the Richie drama up in every interview. That still rankles.

In all probability it's totally unrelated since, hopefully, he's moved on. But once bitten; twice shy, y'know?

That aside, I think your IG post actually said something like "there's a PTSD song on the album." Is that right? I couldn't tell if it was a direct quote from Jon, or what you gathered from something else he said. (For example, your reference above to the "military song" is new. Did he say something about that, too?)

How did you learn about the song to begin with? Was it in an interview or Q&A while you were there or did you read it somewhere? It's clear you have connections; and I don't doubt you. I'm just curious because that's the only reference I've seen to it; and you usually have good information, regardless of where you get it.

Inquiring minds and all that... :D

ticos_stick 07-16-2019 05:02 PM

I don't think I've seen a crowd as dead as this and I'm not blaming them as the sounds coming from the stage aren't pleasant.

https://youtu.be/2TWcYkle92o

BJFan99 07-16-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Yes, he did, and yes, he apparently has. Around late 2011/early 2012 a group of fans ran into Jon during the filming break of the movie New Year's Eve and asked him some questions about the film. One of them managed to sneak in a camera and posted a video on YouTube, which showed Jon smoking while talking with the fans. To this day, I haven't been able to find the video - perhaps it's been removed -, but I vividly remember reading about it here a couple years back.

Also, around the release of WAN (if I remember correctly) there was an interview of JBJ released on a popular Finnish music magazine. The Internet version doesn't have the same photos as the one released on the physical magazine, which contained an obviously then-current pic of Jon sitting and holding a cigarette. So yeah, I think it's pretty clear that he still is a smoker - and you can easily hear it in his voice as well. Hell, even his speaking voice has changed/weakened quite audibly within the last few years; he can't even yell properly anymore.

Roll 07-16-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJFan99 (Post 1257205)
Yes, he did, and yes, he apparently has. Around late 2011/early 2012 a group of fans ran into Jon during the filming break of the movie New Year's Eve and asked him some questions about the film. One of them managed to sneak in a camera and posted a video on YouTube, which showed Jon smoking while talking with the fans. To this day, I haven't been able to find the video - perhaps it's been removed -, but I vividly remember reading about it here a couple years back.

Also, around the release of WAN (if I remember correctly) there was an interview of JBJ released on a popular Finnish music magazine. The Internet version doesn't have the same photos as the one released on the physical magazine, which contained an obviously then-current pic of Jon sitting and holding a cigarette. So yeah, I think it's pretty clear that he still is a smoker - and you can easily hear it in his voice as well. Hell, even his speaking voice has changed/weakened quite audibly within the last few years; he can't even yell properly anymore.

If that's true, Jon is dumb as ****. I must admit that I don't quite compute how stupid you must be to start smoking in your mid-30s, especially when you're a professional singer, but quit then start smoking again while he had voice issues as far back as mid 2000s, seriously ?

Then again, when you've got money coming out of your ass like Jon, quit smoking for a tax issue while everyone has known for 50 years that smoking causes cancer ?