Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Giants Stadium 2001? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70136)

DavetheGodofKeys 11-04-2017 11:46 PM

Giants Stadium 2001?

Is it just me or is Jon's voice actually shot? It is really noticeable on songs like Prayer, just before the key change when he does the 'Livin on a prayer ' line it sounds pretty horrible, definitely below Jon's vocals standards on the Crush/OWN tour.

Walleris 11-05-2017 12:34 AM

It's been a long time since I watched that show, but I don't remember hearing anything bad on it. It sounded good to my ears and I take pride in being a Master of Science in Jon's vocals.

Note-by-note it may sound slightly worse than Zurich 2000 (especially on Prayer), but this was a DVD with severe overdubs that the Giants broadcast didn't have.

jazzsta 11-05-2017 01:41 PM

changing the subject but it's not worth to open a new thread for that question so:

do we actually know or can we actually trace where those overdubs lie? (in the Zurich 2000 crush tour concert dvd)

bonjovi90 11-05-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzsta (Post 1230284)
changing the subject but it's not worth to open a new thread for that question so:

do we actually know or can we actually trace where those overdubs lie? (in the Zurich 2000 crush tour concert dvd)

Both Wembley 1995 and Zurich 2000 had initial live FM broadcasts and from there you can check the differences.
Haven't listend to much of Zurich 2000, but Wembley had some noteable overdubs - like Richie's guitar problems in the Always solo (4:03):

Gregsynthbootlegs 11-06-2017 12:46 AM

He sounds decent (amazing compared to now) on that show, but there are better vocal shows from earlier in the tour.

DavetheGodofKeys 11-07-2017 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregsynthbootlegs (Post 1230298)
He sounds decent (amazing compared to now) on that show, but there are better vocal shows from earlier in the tour.

Yes, he does sound amazing compared to now, but I think there is something with his voice . First, on the "baby, it's OK " part when he goes for the high OK his voice cracks and sounds terrible. Then on the line just before the solo again, sounds pretty bad and brings out that annoying nasal voice from 2003-2006.And finally , in the key change on the "You live for the fight when it's all that you've got" and "Take my hand and we'll make it is swear" parts again sounds bad. I don't know what was up with his voice though, he definitely sounded way better even on the Melbourne concert from early 2001.

Tearin_it_up 11-07-2017 04:15 AM

Wow, I always thought the Giants show was one of the best I've ever heard, can't imagine how good the start of the tour must have been then. Keep the Faith was in my opinion the band's best performance they've ever done on any filmed show

TwinFan 11-14-2017 06:34 AM

Giants 2001 was and still is my absolute favorite Bon Jovi video to watch. The performance is incredible, the crowd is loud, and the band is having a ton of fun. Sure, Jon's voice is a little strained, but it was right at the end of a tour, and it seems like he was giving it everything he had those nights.

TwinFan 11-14-2017 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1230287)
Both Wembley 1995 and Zurich 2000 had initial live FM broadcasts and from there you can check the differences.
Haven't listend to much of Zurich 2000

the FM broadcast of this show is so much more natural than the DVD version. the "Livvviiin on a praaaaayeeeerrrr" before the guitar solo was definitely overdubbed on the DVD (and in turn, overdubbed once again for the One Wild Night Live CD), among several other things. The FM version just makes it seem like a much better concert, the DVD is way too sterile imo

Walleris 11-14-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFan (Post 1230490)
the FM broadcast of this show is so much more natural than the DVD version. the "Livvviiin on a praaaaayeeeerrrr" before the guitar solo was definitely overdubbed on the DVD (and in turn, overdubbed once again for the One Wild Night Live CD), among several other things. The FM version just makes it seem like a much better concert, the DVD is way too sterile imo

What is even more ridiculous is that high note before the solo sounds different on Crush DVD than OWN CD, which means they've used two different overdubs for the same performance! :D I wish the original recordings of Zurich 2000 were still on YouTube...