Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

James_86 09-29-2020 10:04 AM

Solo on Blood In The Water then, albeit short.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

angelsambo 09-29-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1267680)
...Jon's desire to not have a rock sound killed the rock sound.

the bitter truth

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1267685)
I don’t consider WAN, The Circle, LH, THINFS Rock albums.
I’d say HAND but even that wasn’t Rock enough. So maybe Bounce even though it has one too many slow songs.

same thoughts

bonjovi90 09-29-2020 11:36 AM

Let's be realistic, Bon Jovi (or at least Jon) has never been too much of an addict to hard rock music. They've always gone with what gave them the best chance to become popular and place their music on current radio playlists.
Them having been "born" into an era where stadium rock was on the rise to its peak sometimes lead people to think that these were their roots they've abandoned since then.
Not talking about their sound having always been copied from something, but you can't deny that even back in the day their signature sound always incorporated something that resembled what was popular at the time.
So unless stadium rock and big anthems come up with renaissance out of nowhere and start dominating the charts and radio playlists again, the big Bon Jovi rock sound will be gone for good.

james_d 09-29-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1267694)
Let's be realistic, Bon Jovi (or at least Jon) has never been too much of an addict to hard rock music. They've always gone with what gave them the best chance to become popular and place their music on current radio playlists.
Them having been "born" into an era where stadium rock was on the rise to its peak sometimes lead people to think that these were their roots they've abandoned since then.
Not talking about their sound having always been copied from something, but you can't deny that even back in the day their signature sound always incorporated something that resembled what was popular at the time.
So unless stadium rock and big anthems come up with renaissance out of nowhere and start dominating the charts and radio playlists again, the big Bon Jovi rock sound will be gone for good.

I'd argue that, by modern standards, they've released very few hard rock songs. Bands like Alter Bridge and Shinedown are what I tend to use as a barometer of 'heavy' rock. The genre of BJ's prime isn't really seen much these days.

bonjovi90 09-29-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_d (Post 1267695)
I'd argue that, by modern standards, they've released very few hard rock songs. Bands like Alter Bridge and Shinedown are what I tend to use as a barometer of 'heavy' rock. The genre of BJ's prime isn't really seen much these days.

I agree with that. For most of it, even in 80's, Bon Jovi's always been on the soft side of the rock genre. Contemporary bands like Def Leppard, Van Halen, Scorpions or even modern day bands of that style (when sticking to the 80's) like Kissin' Dynamite have much more edge to their rock songs.
Bon Jovi had quite a few of them, but they were rather the exception than the rule.

steel_horse75 09-29-2020 12:52 PM

Bon jovi are so un-rock these days they dont have albums reviewed in classic Rock, kerrang etc anymore.
Last album reviewed in classic Rock was WAN which got 2\10 saying bon jovi have forgotten how to have fun and make good songs

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

steel_horse75 09-29-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1267694)

Wipes tear from eye.......

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

steel_horse75 09-29-2020 03:06 PM

The vinyl has a release date of 04/12 on a few sites so anyone who ordered this album on vinyl won’t get this on release day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 09-29-2020 03:22 PM

Well, Bon Jovi were more rock than for example U2. But their last albums no longer felt the same and they were too attached to the sound of Coldplay, The Killers etc ... A shame.

I always considered them a solid rock band, but their post2000 records finally gave the reason to all those who until then said that BJ was a pop band.

If Keep the Faith were released now, it would be a rock album as solid as the last Foo Fighters.

Perspective is the key. If Jon hadn't bland about the records so much, let's face it, some rock songs were always missing from the post 2000 records.

Ah, without Richie Sambora, Bon Jovi feels less of a band, and if you look at the somewhat limited guitar work of WAN and The Circle, you will see that it has much more nuance and more memorable solos than THINFS. If we stick to shows there is an abyss when it comes to rock n roll show, the guy was iconic.

Captain_jovi 09-29-2020 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1267705)
Well, Bon Jovi were more rock than for example U2. But their last albums no longer felt the same and they were too attached to the sound of Coldplay, The Killers etc ... A shame.

I always considered them a solid rock band, but their post2000 records finally gave the reason to all those who until then said that BJ was a pop band.

If Keep the Faith were released now, it would be a rock album as solid as the last Foo Fighters.

Perspective is the key. If Jon hadn't bland about the records so much, let's face it, some rock songs were always missing from the post 2000 records.

Ah, without Richie Sambora, Bon Jovi feels less of a band, and if you look at the somewhat limited guitar work of WAN and The Circle, you will see that it has much more nuance and more memorable solos than THINFS. If we stick to shows there is an abyss when it comes to rock n roll show, the guy was iconic.

I could not agree more when it comes to live shows, YES. Album wise, sorry, I don't think so. The Circle had more solos than THINFS but Richie was still watered down as heck, short solos, way too much echo etc. One of Richie's big complaints was he had to colour in songs with his style but had a small box to do it. A lot of the time it felt forced and jammed in there (post 2000 anyway) but when a critic says the rock sound died with Richie leaving, it's not like they were shouting from the rooftops about The Circle and What About Now (obviously we know his participation was limited with that one but it's not like they knew at the time).

The sound lives and dies with Jon's decisions unfortunately.