Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Announcements, Questions & Comments (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Spam problem (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=58055)

steel_horse75 03-07-2014 09:34 AM

Every time I come to this site I have an urge to by a pair of Nike Trainers.

Becky 03-08-2014 12:01 AM

I just deleted nearly 2000 threads from the Introduce Yourself and Film forums. It's completely out of hand.

Iceman 03-08-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1171480)
I just deleted nearly 2000 threads from the Introduce Yourself and Film forums. It's completely out of hand.

Once the spam bots get in, it's really hard to get rid of them. You should delete all the spam users, block their IP's and if they're using any blockable e-mail-domains, block them as well.

But the best way would be to update the message board and install new anti-spam -registration measures. Like I said, this version of the message board is years old and this will only get worse. It's also possible that someone will hack the site, since old versions usually have many security holes as well.

Ice

TwinFan 03-15-2014 04:29 PM

It's now infiltrated every forum except fun and games, with the same content. Something needs to be done.

Captain_jovi 03-15-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFan (Post 1172927)
It's now infiltrated every forum except fun and games, with the same content. Something needs to be done.

I agree, it's out of control, we can only do so much before they hit us again. Peter's not responding to our emails about it.

Bounce7800 03-15-2014 04:45 PM

We're doing as we can when we see them. I'm literally on and off the forum all day while I'm at work and moving hundreds of threads.

Sadly at the moment you'll just have to bare with us while we manually move and delete the spam.

Kathleen 03-15-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1172930)
I agree, it's out of control, we can only do so much before they hit us again. Peter's not responding to our emails about it.

Peter hasn't bothered to turn off the snow for 3 months either :(

Becky 03-17-2014 09:37 PM

I wish I could make an announcement and say: WE DON'T WANT NO ****ING SHOES! but spambots would ignore it. LOL

nickolai 03-19-2014 09:35 PM

Something that could be done would be to move Jovitalk altogther and start up a new re-vamped website. This Peter dude clearly doesn't give a monkeys anyway, and the amount of spam is ruining it. Someone should create a new sparkly re-vamped Jovitalk site and move everyone over there.

Iceman 03-19-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickolai (Post 1174055)
Something that could be done would be to move Jovitalk altogther and start up a new re-vamped website. This Peter dude clearly doesn't give a monkeys anyway, and the amount of spam is ruining it. Someone should create a new sparkly re-vamped Jovitalk site and move everyone over there.

You'd need all the old conversations and stuff and Peter won't let others have them. He wants money for it and a lot of it. This has been discussed over and over many times.

Starting a message board is easy, and it's not even that expensive. But getting people to come there or even switch over from a previous board is hard. And especially a board like this where there are tons of stuff in the archives, so to speak.

It would only take some hours to put up a new board or a copy of this one if we had the files and database dumps. But it's not going to happen. More likely scenario is that Peter will pull the plug on this altogether.

Ice