Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Did John Shanks ruin Bon Jovi? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69811)

ticos_stick 12-23-2016 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1216530)
That is most likely why Everett Bradley is a part of the touring band now. Seems unlikely that Jon all of a sudden feels the need to have percussion player after all these years. Of course his percussion adds a lot in some songs.

As a drummer I can safely say Everett adds absolutely nothing to Bon Jovi in terms of percussion. Tico is perfect for the band. He's hard hitting and doesn't over play.

The added bongos and maracas are just distracting. His vocals help.

One thing he is though is very entertaining to watch. Bruce Springsteen added him to the E Street line up after Clarence Clemons died and his presence (along with a horn section and two backing singers) went some way in papering over his absence. I think Jon has gone the same route after losing Richie.

bonjovi90 12-23-2016 01:07 AM

I'm also pretty certain that Bradley is there for voice. To me that's the reason why Bobby got added to the band in the first place as well. They just need some instrument in order to not come across as the obvious vocal backups.

Kathleen 12-23-2016 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1216531)
As a drummer I can safely say Everett adds absolutely nothing to Bon Jovi in terms of percussion. Tico is perfect for the band. He's hard hitting and doesn't over play.

The added bongos and maracas are just distracting. His vocals help.

One thing he is though is very entertaining to watch. Bruce Springsteen added him to the E Street line up after Clarence Clemons died and his presence (along with a horn section and two backing singers) went some way in papering over his absence. I think Jon has gone the same route after losing Richie.

He is also the nicest guy in the world - and a hell of a tap dancer. Not that that adds to the music but he is very talented with an excellent voice. And if first Bruce, then Jon hired him to paper over an absence - at least he has had a good job.

Walleris 12-23-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1216532)
I'm also pretty certain that Bradley is there for voice. To me that's the reason why Bobby got added to the band in the first place as well. They just need some instrument in order to not come across as the obvious vocal backups.

Agreed.

I do however, like Everett's parts on Keep The Faith a lot! This is clearly a Sympathy For The Devil-esque song so it clearly helps.

Bounce7800 12-23-2016 11:15 AM

Have we had a post-Bobby version of In These Arms yet? Be nice to get a proper solo back in that one

bonjovi90 12-23-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1216537)
Have we had a post-Bobby version of In These Arms yet? Be nice to get a proper solo back in that one

There were a couple of 'em on the 2015 mini tour, but Matt O'Ree played the solo and he's no longer there either :D

golittleperson 12-24-2016 04:39 AM

I don't pretend to have some of the knowledge on this board as to who produced/co-wrote what and when but the beanie cap??? Really ..... leave that for the edge.

As to my ears, his playing is ok. For what ever reason Bobby chose not to tour again (I think it was amiable as he still played with KOS) and maybe Shanks is "too good" for just rhythm guitar.

Captain_jovi 12-24-2016 06:38 AM

Is it a beanie? To me it looked like a backwards baseball cap. Regardless I'd always seen him wearing it as early as 2004.

rokuli 12-25-2016 08:58 PM

Just one Q: why does Shanks get a guitar solo spot on some songs when he has (emotionally) absolutely NOTHING to say (play). Its just a crying shame where this band is heading.

Javier 12-25-2016 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokuli (Post 1216553)
Just one Q: why does Shanks get a guitar solo spot on some songs when he has (emotionally) absolutely NOTHING to say (play). Its just a crying shame where this band is heading.

I"m guessing lead guitar duties are gonna be more evenly split this tour as opposed to last tour where it was about 70% Phil and 30% Bobby.