Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Jon Bon Jovi and the songs he cleverly stole from others. (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=54006)

It's my faith 12-12-2023 06:59 PM

I think I found a song with a similar vibe in the intro as Livin' on a prayer. Great tune, regardless!

https://youtu.be/OUc-Hx3vcT4?si=069FWhs0hHYByClP

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Alphavictim 12-12-2023 11:08 PM

That sounds like something 70s Desmond Child would have been familiar with given his writing track record during that decade!

bonjovi90 12-12-2023 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1286812)
That sounds like something 70s Desmond Child would have been familiar with given his writing track record during that decade!

My thoughts exactly! Pretty sure Desmond knew about this track and it influenced LOAP that way.

Steveages 12-12-2023 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1286815)
My thoughts exactly! Pretty sure Desmond knew about this track and it influenced LOAP that way.

Hello, I have the impression that I saw an interview with Desmond Child where he talked about how LOAP was his love story with Maria Vidal. If I remember correctly, he mentioned that he had been working on that song since the 70s. When he joined Jon and Richie, all they did was modify the lyrics because initially, it was Desmond who sang it on the piano. I would like to find that interview I saw years ago on YouTube.

vidda 12-13-2023 07:49 PM

It´s almost impossible not to "steal" parts of melodies.

Experts on the memory say it clearly.

You listen to something without paying attention but the sounds get shelved in the memory until some day, maybe years afterwards, you come up with something completely new, or at least that´s what your convinced of.

Of course there´re copies that are on purpose but I guess those are the less.

Steveages 12-13-2023 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steveages (Post 1286816)
Hello, I have the impression that I saw an interview with Desmond Child where he talked about how LOAP was his love story with Maria Vidal. If I remember correctly, he mentioned that he had been working on that song since the 70s. When he joined Jon and Richie, all they did was modify the lyrics because initially, it was Desmond who sang it on the piano. I would like to find that interview I saw years ago on YouTube.

Here it is the interview:

There were a lot of things that I've misunderstood... but just have a look into it

Captain_jovi 12-13-2023 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidda (Post 1286822)
It´s almost impossible not to "steal" parts of melodies.

Experts on the memory say it clearly.

You listen to something without paying attention but the sounds get shelved in the memory until some day, maybe years afterwards, you come up with something completely new, or at least that´s what your convinced of.

Of course there´re copies that are on purpose but I guess those are the less.

With Jon I would say it's 70 percent blatant, 30 percent accidental. There's just too weird of timing for it to be all accidental.

bonjovi90 12-13-2023 10:06 PM

I think there's also a line to draw between "inspired by" and "ripped off". For instance, stuff like the verses of Burning For Love, the intro of With These Two Hands, the melody of The Fighter or Take Back The Night - that can't be accidental given that the "source songs" had been prominent in the charts in the two or three years leading up to it. Others where there are similarities like the intros to Prayer and Wanted - I feel that these were more influencing their own song rather than them trying to copy the source.

BJFan2021 12-14-2023 01:25 AM

I’m no musical expert, like I can’t tell the bass being played just to give you guys an idea, but imo it’s feels close to impossible to make a tune that doesn’t sound one bit like another song. There’s only so much you can do, if you don’t want to walk down the round of making something revolutionary that most people won’t like until you’ve shoved it down people’s throats enough times. Like I can hear similarities which feel oddly familiar, sure, that may have been intentional and a little more than an inspiration, but some of these other songs mentioned to have been copied by the band seems like such unknown, random and buried songs. Can’t expect a writer to have listened to the whole library of songs released during human’s existence. That’s just my take, but it’s a fun thread tho

PanosBonJovi 12-14-2023 09:33 AM

Do What You Can?
(The guitar riff very sounds similar).