Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

Thinny 11-11-2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litneg (Post 1270137)
I think Jon said that he "knew" 2020 wouldn't make to the top of charts 'cause this was a different kind of record.

That's Jon's way of saving face. He "knew" that 2020 wouldn't make it to the top of the charts once he knew that there wouldn't be any ticket bundles to put it there. He would have been well aware that without that they are not even a top 10 artist in the US, never mind No. 1

Is the next album going to suddenly become a number 1 album? Of course not. Not without some gimmick anyways.

Over a month later I'm already struggling with 2020 to be honest. I gave it a listen today and it was more miss that hit. Do What You Can is catchy and I liked it initially, but it grew old quick. Limitless, nah. American Reckoning works for what it is. Beautiful Drug as the first song that still grabs me. Story Of Love - yawn. Let It Rain - yes it sounds like Land of Hope And Dreams at the start but it's a high point for me. Lower The Flag - nope. Blood On The Water - still the albums highlight. Brothers In Arms - forgettable. Unbroken - still hate it. Shine - very good. Luv Can - Excellent.

Rdkopper 11-11-2020 11:33 PM

I know this wouldn't have made a difference with sales etc, but Jon should have left the album as is. This is an album that started in 2018 and was recorded during 2019...When you go back and adjust things a year later, I feel it takes the magic out... He was in a diffent mind and different studio during that writing/recording session... The 2 added songs are forced and you can tell they came from a differnt recording session... I also have a feeling that the 4 songs that got tweaked were initially much better too.

Too many repeat lyrics. How many times can you hear the same words over and over like "Protest, Take A Knee, Etc" on an album... It's like saying the same things over and over again but in different ways.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

musiccritic101 11-12-2020 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1270142)
It's like saying the same things over and over again but in different ways.

Up until '2020' that's what Jon had been doing with It's My Life pretty much repeating the same thing over and over just with different song titles but with near identical lyrical content and the same stale pop-like formula.

'2020' is a change in my book, it's neither good or bad. I just hope Jon doesn't carry stuff from this album on to the next record, I don't wanna end up with Do What You Can Part 2,3 or 4.

Captain_jovi 11-12-2020 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1270138)
i would put blood in the water more in the same category of songs as bed of roses, this ain't a love song and always and bon jovi is/was famous for big(power) ballads

Sure, in style and grandeur you're not wrong but what puts those in the same category is they're all larger than life love songs that are enteral due to romantic nature. They do so well because they're played at weddings, sent to and from loved ones and are a staple in a lot of memories. I just can't hear Blood in the Water getting that amount of exposure, it's too "smart" for that category.

steel_horse75 11-12-2020 08:38 AM

2020: The New Album

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1270139)
Slave is such an amazing album. Too bad they couldn't keep that style and production going throughout the 90s.

I do love Subhuman Race but can see why some dont like it. It was a great tour. Those first 3 albums were great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Litneg 11-12-2020 03:56 PM

Does anybody have this article complete?

https://www.musicweek.com/talent/rea...tal-era/081879

eddie73 11-12-2020 05:26 PM

Not sure if success can be done by physical copy’s / purchased downloads any more . Just read an article in music week and it says in 5 weeks the 2020 album has had over 12 million streams , that’s some numbers . I’m still old school and buy cds of my favourite artists but also stream off Spotify . The days of even selling 5 million albums let alone 20 million are long gone

eddie73 11-12-2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litneg (Post 1270149)
Does anybody have this article complete?

https://www.musicweek.com/talent/rea...tal-era/081879

Just seen this post , but already posted response about it above

Thinny 11-12-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie73 (Post 1270150)
Not sure if success can be done by physical copy’s / purchased downloads any more . Just read an article in music week and it says in 5 weeks the 2020 album has had over 12 million streams , that’s some numbers . I’m still old school and buy cds of my favourite artists but also stream off Spotify . The days of even selling 5 million albums let alone 20 million are long gone

It would be interesting to know how the label have come to the 12 million streams number, but I believe that it may not be by complete album streams, but by songs. So a 12 track album that gets 12 million streams, is really only 1 million streams. I know you can't work it out exactly as some tracks will have much more plays than others, so it's technically not a million plays of the whole album, but if that's correct it's not as impressive as the label want it to sound. When you also consider that a lot of those will be the same people listening to it, it may only be a few hundred thousand people. Impossible to know really, but labels will always manipulate the information to look better than it actually is...

steel_horse75 11-12-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie73 (Post 1270150)

You only need to play a song for 30 seconds for it to be classed as a 1 play.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk