Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

Javier 11-01-2019 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1259658)
Shanks and Jon are the only ones credited as background vocalists, so apparently none of the band contributed to that.

Shanks is listed as associated performer on both electric guitar and acoustic guitar, specifically; whereas Phil-X is listed as associated performer on "Guitar", almost like an afterthought.

While David is credited for synth, piano, and Hammond B3, Shanks is also credited for synth.

It just seems very Shanks-centric to me. Like he and Jon put it all together and the rest of the band came in and overdubbed their parts.

At this point, it really wouldn't surprise me if JBJ and Shanks develop the songs after they're written and then the rest of the band come in and just play what they're told to play. I hope I'm wrong and there's more of a band feel to the rest of the album but I doubt it......

JackieBlue 11-01-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1259671)
I thought his father was a hair dresser and his mother was a model?

After the Marines, as I understand it. They met while in the Marines. I don't know about modeling; but she was a Playboy Bunny.

Captain_jovi 11-01-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1259672)
At this point, it really wouldn't surprise me if JBJ and Shanks develop the songs after they're written and then the rest of the band come in and just play what they're told to play. I hope I'm wrong and there's more of a band feel to the rest of the album but I doubt it......

I guess video footage shows otherwise but who's to say how many songs per album are like that.

rokuli 11-01-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1259638)
Where's the band in the video?

Where's the band?

Rdkopper 11-01-2019 10:04 PM

Let me just start by saying that I love the approach Jon is taking with this...

For the past three albums since 2009, the first single is some radio pop anthem that everyone pisses on... Born To Follow, Because We Can, and THINFS. It's meant to be the big pop radio song that never gets played on the radio and ruins the hype for the new material...

With this song, Jon is taking a completely different approach and I applaud him for that...

The song itself is excellent: It's a singer / songwriter song. The chorus was only repeated twice and the verses are multiplied (Meaning it's not Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Chorus, Chorus, fade out).

Lyrically it's a 10. He's not climbing mountains or valleys.. The only lyric that got me was "Counting Sheep" but it fits the song and it hasn't been recycled a dozen times over. Other than that the lyrics are deep and it's perfectly crafted.

The vocals had me concerned with the sample but after hearing the song over a few times, I'm okay with it. It's natural and it's listenable. It's not auto-tuned, it's not being drowned out with overproduction. It's who and where Jon is now. Jon gave us 30 amazing years of live vocals. This is what it is approaching age 60. If Jon wants to go on for many more years, he has to reinvent. Bob Dylan style...I don't think Jon is going for a Bob Dylan style vocal but his lower register still works and his tone is raw. I've been saying that Jon needs to give us Destination Anywhere Part 2 for some time now and this song has a very "Not Fade Away" style that Jon used in "97/"98

The production is great. Because Jon is going more natural, it's less crap Shanks need to throw in... Kudos to Shank's guitar intro btw. That was a nice surprise.

Jon has checked every box there is to check. The only 2 things I can see remaining on his bucket list is playing the super bowl half time event (which he might have done by now if he wasn't trying to purchase a team) and winning an Oscar for music... He almost did it with Blaze and I think he had some buzz for the Stand Up Guy tracks... I could totally see this song getting him there.

Great video too by the way.

Overall, the song itself surprised me. I wasn't expecting much. It's different... And different in a good way. I'm not even sure if this is considered the first single and being that there isn't any hope for radio play, I hope there isn't a first single. I just want to see songs getting released and attached to different things.

I'm giving this a solid 8 out of 10.

PS... We know the album won't be full of this these type of songs because he said there will be the usual uptempo songs in the fan club interview.

candidomtz 11-01-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1259676)

For the past three albums since 2009, the first single is some radio pop anthem that everyone pisses on... Born To Follow, Because We Can, and THINFS. It's meant to be the big pop radio song that never gets played on the radio and ruins the hype for the new material...

With this song, Jon is taking a completely different approach and I applaud him for that...

The song itself is excellent: It's a singer / songwriter song. The chorus was only repeated twice and the verses are multiplied (Meaning it's not Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Chorus, Chorus, fade out).

Lyrically it's a 10. He's not climbing mountains or valleys.. The only lyric that got me was "Counting Sheep" but it fits the song and it hasn't been recycled a dozen times over. Other than that the lyrics are deep and it's perfectly crafted.

The vocals had me concerned with the sample but after hearing the song over a few times, I'm okay with it. It's natural and it's listenable. It's not auto-tuned, it's not being drowned out with overproduction. It's who and where Jon is now. Jon gave us 30 amazing years of live vocals. This is what it is approaching age 60. If Jon wants to go on for many more years, he has to reinvent. Bob Dylan style...I don't think Jon is going for a Bob Dylan style vocal but his lower register still works and his tone is raw. I've been saying that Jon needs to give us Destination Anywhere Part 2 for some time now and this song has a very "Not Fade Away" style that Jon used in "97/"98

The production is great. Because Jon is going more natural, it's less crap Shanks need to throw in... Kudos to Shank's guitar intro btw. That was a nice surprise.

Jon has checked every box there is to check. The only 2 things I can see remaining on his bucket list is playing the super bowl half time event (which he might have done by now if he wasn't trying to purchase a team) and winning an Oscar for music... He almost did it with Blaze and I think he had some buzz for the Stand Up Guy tracks... I could totally see this song getting him there.

Overall, the song itself surprised me. I wasn't expecting much. It's different... And different in a good way. I'm not even sure if this is considered the first single and being that there isn't any hope for radio play, I hope there isn't a first single. I just want to see getting released and attached to different things.

PS... We know the album won't be full of this these type of songs because he said there will be the usual uptempo songs in the fan club interview.

Absolutely agree on EVERYTHING you said [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

rokuli 11-01-2019 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1259676)

Overall, the song itself surprised me. I wasn't expecting much. It's different... And different in a good way. I'm not even sure if this is considered the first single and being that there isn't any hope for radio play, I hope there isn't a first single. I just want to see songs getting released and attached to different things.

You got it right!
Finally something else. And yet strong chorus.

efpg0708 11-01-2019 10:45 PM

The last songs that caught my immediate attention after first listen were We Don’t Run and I’m With You, which I still listen to very often (even though I find the production horrendous on both of them).

This song, however, did nothing for me. I’ve found the singing very bad. Even studio tricks can’t make Jon sound good anymore. Where’s Phil ? Where’s Tico and Dave ? The thing I don’t get is that they have a good guitar player, a terrific drummer and keyboard player yet they don’t usem them, whereas Jon keeps sounding worse and worse with each new record.

IMO, this song sums up everything I hate about Bon Jovi nowadays: Jon can’t sing, production is bad, bad input doesn’t exist, bland writing and average melody.

Cheers

Eduardo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rdkopper 11-01-2019 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efpg0708 (Post 1259679)
The last songs that caught my immediate attention after first listen were We DonÂ’t Run and IÂ’m With You, which I still listen to very often (even though I find the production horrendous on both of them).

This song, however, did nothing for me. IÂ’ve found the singing very bad. Even studio tricks canÂ’t make Jon sound good anymore. WhereÂ’s Phil ? WhereÂ’s Tico and Dave ? The thing I donÂ’t get is that they have a good guitar player, a terrific drummer and keyboard player yet they donÂ’t usem them, whereas Jon keeps sounding worse and worse with each new record.

IMO, this song sums up everything I hate about Bon Jovi nowadays: Jon canÂ’t sing, production is bad, bad input doesnÂ’t exist, bland writing and average melody.

Cheers

Eduardo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your opinion is your opinion, I can't argue that.

I don't think this is true "Even studio tricks canÂ’t make Jon sound good anymore"... Walls and When We Were Us were only recorded around a year apart from Unbroken so "Tricks" can still work. Jon went in this direction on purpose.

Most people just can't live in the now. They all want something different and then make comparisons and references to everything done in the past. It's so predictable.

It's one ****ing song. You don't even know where this songs stands on the album. Right now it's just a song Jon gave to a soundtrack. Like Not Running Anymore. I'm sure there will be an official song released to represent the album when it gets closer to its release.

I'll set the record right now... Jon is not going to give us some full on 80s/90s style rock song where his vocals are tweaked to make him sound 20 years younger. Like de-aging CGI... Not happening!!!

Apart for this board, the song is getting a great reception on Facebook and YouTube...

Walleris 11-01-2019 11:23 PM

Recording a whole song in one note is a damn achievement. Like a fine wine Jon keeps getting better with age! [emoji7]