Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   "You can't have a Greatest Hits without the GREATEST HITS" (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=51333)

Gabriel Shoes 07-08-2010 01:05 AM

They never tried to go out and do a 90's based set list on a tour, even at KTF Tour. There were times when they didn't do This Aint A Love Song for example and did BTBMB. They are too much obsessed with the 80's IMO.

And honestlly I prefer way better their 90's, its a lot more mature.

If they decide to go on a single disc 95-2010 compilation they'll have my support, but if they do 1985-2010 the fans in this board should stop bitching about the set lists.

crimson_05 07-08-2010 02:21 AM

Here's a question; why do we all care so much about having a greatest hits CD that caters to us die-hards?

We have all the songs, we can make up our own playlists/mixed cds with whatever combination of songs our heart desires.

What benefit does a 'die-hard' GH give us apart from making us feel good?

A GH should obviously cater to the broadest audience possible and cram in as many recognisable songs as it can.

All we should really worry about is getting new songs.

Javier 07-08-2010 04:56 AM

I thought this was a quote from one of the guys.....

Supersonic 07-08-2010 05:13 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 1003133)
But we're not the people they're trying to cater to, that's really the point I think.

Yes we are. If we really weren't they wouldn't put new songs on there in the first place. We very much are the group they try to cater to as well, as they know that album sales are bad and they want everyone to buy the greatest hits, not just the average Joe. Your whole blog inspired by another blog is wrong.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Captmorgs 07-08-2010 05:23 AM

I think you're right that Greatest Hits don't do that well anymore because people already have the songs they want (casual fans). Cross Road was not only a decade ago, but combined several big hits with the super-smash hit "Always."

I think they should record a couple more new songs and pick the best of the bunch. Let's hope Jon's right about "This Ain't Love" being too good to release as a bonus track for The Circle.

TwinFan 07-08-2010 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crimson_05 (Post 1003171)
Here's a question; why do we all care so much about having a greatest hits CD that caters to us die-hards?

We have all the songs, we can make up our own playlists/mixed cds with whatever combination of songs our heart desires.

What benefit does a 'die-hard' GH give us apart from making us feel good?

A GH should obviously cater to the broadest audience possible and cram in as many recognisable songs as it can.

All we should really worry about is getting new songs.

This is VERY TRUE. We already have all these hits that would be on the GH anyway. I mean, I have the studio version of Prayer, plus 3 live versions.I have the studio version of Bad Name, plus 2 live versions. And I also have a live version of almost all the BJ songs on my iPod. We can just get the new songs on iTunes and call it a day. Let BJ and the record lable figure it out.

yomamasofat 07-08-2010 06:45 AM

I prefer something that complements Crossroad. If Crossroad is not OOP, then there is no point releasing something that replaces it. Want LOAP, Bad Name, Bad Rx? Get Crossroad. Releasing a career spanning double disc GH would be like VH releasing BOBW after BOV1. Sure it sold decently but it didn't make them more popular in any way.

Crushgen24/88 07-08-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1003184)
Aloha !

Yes we are. If we really weren't they wouldn't put new songs on there in the first place. We very much are the group they try to cater to as well, as they know that album sales are bad and they want everyone to buy the greatest hits, not just the average Joe. Your whole blog inspired by another blog is wrong.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

The core group of people they're targeting this at are the type of casual fan who know several of the hits, and even who've seen the band in concert, but don't/won't own 11 studio albums. The new songs are clearly there to draw in their die hards and inflate album sales, but we're the sprinkles on the sundae in this scenario.

Simon 07-08-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomamasofat (Post 1003199)
I prefer something that complements Crossroad. If Crossroad is not OOP, then there is no point releasing something that replaces it. Want LOAP, Bad Name, Bad Rx? Get Crossroad. Releasing a career spanning double disc GH would be like VH releasing BOBW after BOV1. Sure it sold decently but it didn't make them more popular in any way.

I fully agree. That's totally my point too.

About the Van Halen issue: Calling the first GH "Vol. 1" seemed like a stupid idea in the first place. I already knew back then there would never be a "Vol. 2".

Crossroad is a fine GH of the old material and I don't see why it should get replaced.

Rdkopper 07-08-2010 05:40 PM

First off... Well written and thought out.

I don't necessarily agree with your track listing though. What not "Everyday" in the us? It was a Grammy nominated song.

Although it's a "Greatest Hits" a band like Bon Jovi would want to represent each album with the anticipation of getting someone to buy that particular album. This would include the Box Set, OWN, TLFR, or even DA (solo). I could see Wanted 03 on there just like Prayer 94 was on Cross Roads. Or for Example, the logic if some really likes Radio Saved My Life Tonight, they would want to look into the box set. Remember, there is a marketing strategy behind everything...... Not saying they would def include these songs but it deserves a mention

There are also hits that never made it to Cross Roads that were never mentioned. When I go to concerts and see the younger fans singing Saturday Night b/ they think this was a huge hit being on CR (not realizing it was an added track) and then having no idea what song Living in Sin is, makes me nuts.

What I think they will most likely do is a double CD (hint: 5 new songs) of everything. It'll be priced fairly cheap at 12.99.

At this point, to really do Bon Jovi right, would be to release a 3 CD collection. To really include all hits. solo, live, box, etc. But that it'll be in their "Anthology" cd a few years down the road.