Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What next for Bon Jovi as a live act? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70596)

Highlander2010 06-24-2019 08:15 AM

What next for Bon Jovi as a live act?

THINFS tour has just wrapped up the UK leg of operations and I think it's fair to say that those of us who attended one or more shows thoroughly enjoyed it however there is no denying that it's been a struggle for Jon.

My question is that although we have rumours flying around about a potential new album in the works how do we see the next chapter of Bon Jovi as a band unfolding once the remainder of the THINFS tour wraps up?

Do we see Bon Jovi hit the road again for another world tour? Assuming that Jon's struggles continue can he even deliver that anymore without completely changing even the most basic of staple songs/watering down setlists?

Will we see them in the UK again? Or will they just release a new album and do a few select live concerts to play the album in its entirety such as the Count Basie theatre performance and London Palladium etc?

This is in no way designed to be a post to start a flaming war about "Jon should retire" and "the band is done" rather an opportunity for everyone to post what they feel is going to happen next, what sort of time frames are we looking for on a new album and tour (if any)

KeepTheFaith2211 06-24-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highlander2010 (Post 1256227)
THINFS tour has just wrapped up the UK leg of operations and I think it's fair to say that those of us who attended one or more shows thoroughly enjoyed it however there is no denying that it's been a struggle for Jon.

My question is that although we have rumours flying around about a potential new album in the works how do we see the next chapter of Bon Jovi as a band unfolding once the remainder of the THINFS tour wraps up?

Do we see Bon Jovi hit the road again for another world tour? Assuming that Jon's struggles continue can he even deliver that anymore without completely changing even the most basic of staple songs/watering down setlists?

Will we see them in the UK again? Or will they just release a new album and do a few select live concerts to play the album in its entirety such as the Count Basie theatre performance and London Palladium etc?

This is in no way designed to be a post to start a flaming war about "Jon should retire" and "the band is done" rather an opportunity for everyone to post what they feel is going to happen next, what sort of time frames are we looking for on a new album and tour (if any)

I’d like them to get Richie back but keep Phil X too. Say “we’ve had great fun but this is goodbye.”
Thank the fans, go on a nostalgia tour where they leave it out there every night and go back to playing different stuff spanning their career.
Not a chance in hell of it happening though.

WILDJOVIMAN 06-24-2019 08:41 AM

i think nothing will Chance, when everybody´s stays healthy Worldtour 2021/22

Thinny 06-24-2019 01:03 PM

I think they will continue to tour sporadically as they have since THINFS.

I think that maybe that was their last UK stadium tour, and next time they might opt for an Arena run.

Time will tell...

Tictoc 06-24-2019 02:37 PM

Lets not forget that they were selling 2 for 1 tickets for the the majority of the UK shows and Dublin had unlimited free ticket offers on.

The shows looked full but the promoters essentially "papered the room" to make things look better and might not be too keen on putting on further stadium shows.

I think now would be a good time to end. Tico is becoming an old man who is actually 70 (real age) and Jon is basically a wreck who jumps around and smiles into nothingness every now and again which apparently means he's still a great showman.

None of that matters to Jon though. He'll carry on as long as he can make a buck. I wouldn't be surprised to see another tour in 2 years with a new drummer and an even shorter setlist to offset Jon's vocal shit show.

richiefan95 06-24-2019 02:50 PM

If they continue they will have to make the shows much shorter. As mentioned it is really hard for Tico to get through a show and it would also help his voice.

The only thing that they could make another european tour to this standard is a big farewell tour with Richie. I guess at an farewell tour nobody would care how he sounds. The good attendance is down that they last played Europe six years ago. If he comes back in two years he would play in half empty arenas.

I think Jon should produce solo albums but to continue touring with this band is not a good idea I think.

bonjovi90 06-24-2019 04:40 PM

I'm not sure they'll be touring for much longer since it seems to be too taxing on Tico by now. That guy's hitting the 70s and has always had a very physical way of playing the drums. Not sure he can do it much longer.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

ticos_stick 06-24-2019 04:41 PM

The problem with Bon Jovi as a live act is that they're known for high energy performances with good levels of musicianship and singing.

Hugh could play his role well into his 80s because he just stands around and has a physically undemanding instrument. David could too, just with less jumping around at the keyboards.

The issues start to arise with Tico, who still has to play the drums hard and fast because the songs demand that style. If he came out on the next show and gave 50% the shows would crumble. Something has to give in this circumstance. Either shorter shows or a replacement which I'd hate to see.

Jon can't really sing anymore but he's refound some of his movement and stage presence that abandoned him in recent years. His voice pretty much goes at the end of sets which are considerably shorter than previous tours.

Richie coming back won't help any of those problems but could add an element of prestige to help ticket sales. I doubt it will happen though. As much as I love Richie it looks like booze is his no.1 career path.

The only way I can see things panning out favourably for the current line up on a tour 2-3 years from now are 1hr30m shows with bigger production values.

Thinny 06-24-2019 05:01 PM

Tico will retire. Jon won't think twice about touring with Tico.

ticos_stick 06-24-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1256251)
Tico will retire. Jon won't think twice about touring with Tico.

Do you mean that Jon won't think twice about touring without Tico?

I don't think it would stop Jon for a second. He's probably tampering with Tico's oxygen tank get him to retire early after his recent mistakes [emoji16]

Thinny 06-24-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1256252)
Do you mean that Jon won't think twice about touring without Tico?

Haha yes sorry!!

Captain_jovi 06-24-2019 05:41 PM

I disagree, I think he'd draw the line there. He knows how shot his voice is, I don't think he'd replace Tico for the sake of another tour.

Matrix15 06-24-2019 06:03 PM

I think the next album will be one of the last 'big' tours. I think they'll be back at least once to Europe and South America but we're getting to a point where it'll be only be Jon and Dave as original members soon.

On a more positive note, the new album might not be garbage. Jon seems to be reconciling himself to the fact that he can't sing high for 2.5 hrs anymore (hence the shorter sets). He might consign himself to writing songs that suit his register. Im talking "I will drive you home" style. Plus Jon seems to like that sing he's sang it a couple of times.

Jeeper 06-24-2019 06:25 PM

As mentioned, the Tico conundrum is a worry. I really wouldn’t want them to carry on without him.

Would shorter sets, an acoustic medley and song placement be enough to help him through another tour?

Maybe one show in England rather than multiple shows. Use that template across other countries. But would that be financially viable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kova 06-24-2019 06:52 PM

A lot of posts talking about Tico's retirement, but I don't see any relevant info or link to fuel it. Just a mere speculation that someone started and now everyone is making a story out of it.

Highlander2010 06-24-2019 07:11 PM

To be honest I think if Tico did retire (though not sure if we have enough facts to suggest this is a possibility as of yet) and they continued to tour I would use that as my time to stop paying to see the live performance.

For me and I'm sure any others Tico is the absolute beating heart of the band and watching a younger replacement playing the songs just for the sake of having a body behind the drums to keep the machine rolling down the road wouldn't do it for me.

Whilst I've accepted Richie's departure as he has his reasons and I thoroughly enjoyed watching Phil X and think hes great there is a clear difference between replacing someone who left for personal reasons and replacing someone who is the cornerstone of the band who has left due to potential retirement etc.

After seeing the band in Dublin and London on this tour I fully went into Wembley telling myself that I need to make the most of this and fully enjoy the experience as I probably won't see them again but for me that assumption was based on the fact that we all know since forever Jon's big driving factor was that he wanted to be in the hall of fame and had "something to prove" and now that something isn't there anymore there really isn't any other need to keep the truck rolling longer than it needs to be.

Whilst I completely agree with everyone who said that the monetary side of tours may be too much to stop Jon from touring there has to be a point where the feedback/critics and circumstances tell him that vocally he just can't do it anymore and he becomes what he always said he doesn't want to be which is someone playing longer than they should of because they don't know when to quit whilst at the top.

Not sure about everyone else but I wouldn't be happy going to see a new tour with 1 song from the new unnamed album and then all of the same songs that we got again on this tour and nothing else or anything from the back catalogue.

thesedays2014 06-24-2019 07:42 PM

Acoustic Jon Bon Jovi and friends: TLFR type Jovi songs (or at least rearranged so he can sing them without almost dying in the process), DA songs, Stand Up Guy songs and new ‘no bullshit, trying to be relevant’ songs.

Thing is nobody seems to like that, so he’ll just do the same...poor guy 😭

ticos_stick 06-24-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kova (Post 1256265)
A lot of posts talking about Tico's retirement, but I don't see any relevant info or link to fuel it. Just a mere speculation that someone started and now everyone is making a story out of it.

Tico looking exhausted and making mistakes is relevant enough to warrant a discussion on his future. Pretty much everyone that has gone to the shows have commented on it.

It's not like someone has decided to troll with making up rumours. It's eye witness observations.

rocknation 06-24-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tictoc (Post 1256247)
Tico is becoming an old man who is actually 70 (real age)

If their birth years of 1950 and 1953 are correct, Hugh will turn 69 and Tico 66 this year.

Quote:

Jon is basically a wreck who jumps around and smiles into nothingness every now and again which apparently means he's still a great showman...
Also known as Fat Elvis Syndrome.

So far, the tour has reminded me of an interview I watched with a 500-pound (225kg) woman: I couldn't pay attention to what she was saying because she was wheezing so much, I was certain that every breath she took would be her last.

I've watched nearly two hours' worth of the London and Coventry videos: I agree they are best-sounding and most energetic gigs, but I also agree that it most likely had to do with them being shorter -- allowing Jon (if not Tico) to depend less on pacing himself, as well as his allowing Phil and Shanks to co-front a little more. And it turns out that the ticket sales WEREN'T quite what they seemed? Bon Jovi's fate may end up being decided FOR them (especially since nobody's buying their music they way used to, either).

Quote:

He'll carry on as long as he can make a buck.
Right: apparently Mister "I'm Not Going To Be the Fat Elvis" has yet figure out that Elvis' weight was the least of his problems.

Tictoc 06-25-2019 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1256275)
If their birth years of 1953 and 1950 are correct, Tico will turn 66 and Hugh 69 this year.

Also known as Fat Elvis Syndrome.

So far, the tour has reminded me of an interview I watched with a 500-pound (225kg) woman: I couldn't pay attention to what she was saying because she was wheezing so much, I was certain that every breath she took would be her last.

I've watched nearly two hours' worth of the London and Coventry videos: I agree they are best-sounding and most energetic gigs, but I also agree that it most likely had to do with them being shorter -- allowing Jon (if not Tico) to depend less on pacing himself, as well as his allowing Phil and Shanks to co-front a little more. And it turns out that the ticket sales WEREN'T quite what they seemed? Bon Jovi's fate may end up being decided FOR them (especially since nobody's buying their music they way used to, either).

Right: apparently Mister "I'm Not Going To Be the Fat Elvis" has yet to take it into account that Elvis' weight was the least of his problems.

Tico was 50 in 2000. Which makes him 69. They fudged his age in the 80s to make it seem like the band were all of a similar age. His age and weight were something Doc Magee wanted him fired for remember?

JackieBlue 06-25-2019 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richiefan95 (Post 1256248)
If they continue they will have to make the shows much shorter. As mentioned it is really hard for Tico to get through a show...

Richiefan, this isn't specifically directed towards you; but this quote seems to sum up comments I've seen from a lot of people about Tico since the tour started. Like many here, I've been concerned about Tico; but I'm just not sure our concerns are solely (or even primarily) due to his age. It could be something temporary, like catching a virus or something just before the leg started and not having time to fully recover. I just posted something similar over on the Dusseldorf thread, so I won't go over the same details here; but, personally, I think it's a little too soon for people to be rushing Tico off to the old folks home quite yet!! :D

Walleris 06-25-2019 07:13 AM

Even though my Wembley show was mostly a positive experience, I hope there's no more than one last farewell tour left, with or without Richie.

No matter what Jon says, he clearly doesn't mind being the fat Elvis and to some extent is an applause junkie, but what separates him from other peers who are still doing it in their 70s is that he seems to have more outside interests, which would make it easier for him to retire. Unless, the main interest is still owning the NFL team (that requires more money), but I guess not, because the THINFS tour schedule would not be so relaxed if this was the case.

Tico, I can't comment on too much. I'm no pro, but I did not notice any substantial mistakes to make me question his fit for stage, at least in this present day. He was great. But obviously, time is ticking for him the most, given his lifestyle throughout the years. I once mentioned in a private conversation that I could see Jon and Richie coming together and mending their differences if something bad were to happen to Tico; hopefully, this does not happen.

YOVANAfromPeru 06-25-2019 09:22 AM

I think they gonna announce a concert in New York for this year.
JBJ and Shanks are close friends, they are recording songs for the new album on the road.
JBJ keeps saying Phil X is going nowhere, never. And I gotta say I can take We Don't Run Phil X solo and his outro in Always.
I think they gonna tour every single year until the end.
About releases for diehards, Obie can say whatever he wants but I don't see it coming because JBJ doesn't feel it...

steel_horse75 06-25-2019 09:34 AM

What next for Bon Jovi as a live act?

It’s odd touring the THINFS album 2 and half years after release.
New album out soon - either last quarter or first quarter of year - can’t see them touring that quick again.

The new album would have to be really special to make me listen to it. I’ll buy it of course to add collection but I don’t have any real enthusiasm for it.

zero_zero_UFO 06-25-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1256308)
It’s odd touring the THINFS album 2 and half years after release.
New album out soon - either last quarter or first quarter of year - can’t see them touring that quick again.

The new album would have to be really special to make me listen to it. I’ll buy it of course to add collection but I don’t have any real enthusiasm for it.

Right! I saw them in Vegas 2017, since then I’ve got married, become pregnant, had the baby and he’s had his first birthday....and it’s still the same tour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DestinationJovi 06-25-2019 05:43 PM

Obviously no one has a crystal ball, but I think when Tico says he is done that Jon will not replace him. I think that will be it for Bon Jovi. And I have long thought it would be Tico who calls it a day first.

I can't see Jon officially retiring the band though. I think they will just go on an indefinite hiatus.

ticos_stick 06-25-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestinationJovi (Post 1256336)
Obviously no one has a crystal ball, but I think when Tico says he is done that Jon will not replace him. I think that will be it for Bon Jovi. And I have long thought it would be Tico who calls it a day first.

I can't see Jon officially retiring the band though. I think they will just go on an indefinite hiatus.

I honestly thought Jon would call it a day after the WAN tour when Richie left. He could have happily retired but he has this massive ego that most rock stars have which doesn't allow them to merely retire. I can't see Tico leaving having a big impact on his burning desire to keep the train going.

He also said something along the lines of "This is just another chapter for this band, things change but we keep going" during a recent show which made me think that he's not close calling it day.

I hope he does call it quits if it comes to it. The band without Richie and Tico would be a sad sight.

James_86 06-25-2019 09:33 PM

A move similar to what Status Quo did before Rick Parfitts untimely death and retire from full blown electric shows in favour of acoustic concerts could be an option. In probability it would allow the band to tour more often without the strain on health/vocals etc.

Mind you, I would fully expect some sort of tour in support of the new album.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Supersonic 06-26-2019 06:51 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1256349)
A move similar to what Status Quo did before Rick Parfitts untimely death and retire from full blown electric shows in favour of acoustic concerts could be an option. In probability it would allow the band to tour more often without the strain on health/vocals etc.

What makes you think acoustic shows are easier on his voice? He still needs to sing the same melody and it'd only expose his vocal problems even more as there's no wall of sound to drown him anymore.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

thesedays2014 06-26-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1256372)
Aloha !

What makes you think acoustic shows are easier on his voice? He still needs to sing the same melody and it'd only expose his vocal problems even more as there's no wall of sound to drown him anymore.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Acoustic gigs that he can do.
TLFR type songs, Stand Up type songs, the singer-songwriter Jon

It’s just about time that the fans realize that’s a hell of a better option than what we have currently

Supersonic 06-26-2019 07:36 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesedays2014 (Post 1256373)
Acoustic gigs that he can do.
TLFR type songs, Stand Up type songs, the singer-songwriter Jon

It’s just about time that the fans realize that’s a hell of a better option than what we have currently

What makes you think he can sing those songs though? Besides no one caring for This Left Feels Right versions, it's not as if those melody lines are easier than what he's doing now. He can barely make it through Amen and has to rely on a backing track for the chorus. He struggles with every acoustic show he does and the setlists for those shows are awful. Stripped of both the hits and the fan favourites meaning no one would be particularly interested in these gigs apart from people who will pay to hear him sing whatever he pleases.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

YOVANAfromPeru 06-26-2019 07:42 PM

Supersonic, you’re funny >_< jajajajaj

bonjovi90 06-26-2019 08:12 PM

Bon Jovi became famous for their stadium filling hits, not because Jon is a singer/songwriter kind of performer like some want him to see or he may think he is. He's no Dylan, Springsteen or Waits with regards to that. For every great line in a Jovi song, there's usually a cringeworthy one to accompany it.
People simply aren't interested in this kind of music because that's not what his main fan base is and he's realized that by now. Plus you can't play stadiums and big arenas with that and that's what he thrives for

thesedays2014 06-26-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1256376)
Bon Jovi became famous for their stadium filling hits, not because Jon is a singer/songwriter kind of performer like some want him to see or he may think he is. He's no Dylan, Springsteen or Waits with regards to that. For every great line in a Jovi song, there's usually a cringeworthy one to accompany it.
People simply aren't interested in this kind of music because that's not what his main fan base is and he's realized that by now. Plus you can't play stadiums and big arenas with that and that's what he thrives for

Which is why it’s time he starts thinking about himself and play to a smaller fan base.

TLFR/Stand up,... aren’t what most people like the most, but I’m sure thousands of Bon Jovi fans would still go to smaller gigs to see him play this kind of stuff, and he’d be happier, gain more credit and not sound like a drowned cat.

Supersonic 06-26-2019 08:49 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesedays2014 (Post 1256377)
Which is why it’s time he starts thinking about himself and play to a smaller fan base.

TLFR/Stand up,... aren’t what most people like the most, but I’m sure thousands of Bon Jovi fans would still go to smaller gigs to see him play this kind of stuff, and he’d be happier, gain more credit and not sound like a drowned cat.

Right. And what would you do? Play in front of an average of 40.000 people roughly every night, earn at least about 3 million per show or play in front of 3.000 people on average every night and earn 500.000 per show at most?

You're delusional to think the acoustic shows would gain him more credit. He'd not play the hits and he wouldn't play the songs die hards would long for. He'd still sound like a drowned cat though because saying he'd sound better is just an illusion. He wouldn't, as these acoustic shows have proven in the past.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

bonjovi90 06-26-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesedays2014 (Post 1256377)

He already does this, it's called Runaway Tours, the setlist doesn't change there either and he sounds like a strangled cat.

jazzsta 06-27-2019 09:14 AM

If he had even his 2013 voice, I would say yeah. Because up to then, he had the cool jovi vocal sound in the lower register. Now , he has problems singing anyway and even lower tones come with difficulty. He cannot sing in a simple laidback manner. So I don't think that acoustic sets will be pleasant. Better have the band and party on and whatever..

steel_horse75 06-27-2019 10:22 AM

My mum and dad came with me to Wembley last week and loved it. First time they have seen them since they came with me to Wembley arena in 1993.

My mums main concern was - A rock star shouldnt let his hair go Grey!

My dad thinks that they should reduce size of venue. He thinks they should play Royal Albert Hal or Hammersmith.

Trouble with that is if 80,000 fill Wembley how many nights is that a smaller venues?

Well Royal Albert Hall only allows 5,500 now and Hammersmith is 8,500

Thats a lot of nights so easier to play 1 date in the Stadium.

I personally love Milton Keynes Bowl (yes I know its a big venue) but you need the weather for that.

thesedays2014 06-27-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1256380)
He already does this, it's called Runaway Tours, the setlist doesn't change there either and he sounds like a strangled cat.

You and Supersonic keep going round in circles...

Runaway Tours is not what I’m saying; neither is the acoustic shows he has done lately...I’m talking about something that would cater for current-Jon.

TLFR catered for Jon at that time, I’m not saying do the same, but with the same purpose.

And to answer your question Supersonic, I’d play for 3000 people, regain some credibility, trying something different and not be yet another washed-up 80s rocker.

I think Jon wants to too, it’s just he listens to his fans, and his fans, just like you two, prefer a stangled cat 😅

bonjovi90 06-27-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesedays2014 (Post 1256388)
You and Supersonic keep going round in circles...

Runaway Tours is not what I’m saying; neither is the acoustic shows he has done lately...I’m talking about something that would cater for current-Jon.

TLFR catered for Jon at that time, I’m not saying do the same, but with the same purpose.

And to answer your question Supersonic, I’d play for 3000 people, regain some credibility, trying something different and not be yet another washed-up 80s rocker.

I think Jon wants to too, it’s just he listens to his fans, and his fans, just like you two, prefer a stangled cat 😅

No it's just that Jon's sacrificed artistic integrity for success and big tours a long time ago. He's the one who said: "Others say 'I don't like the mood in front of stadiums, I like intimate clubs.' **** that! I wanna play the desert and sell it out, more than once!"

And you keep going in circle in thinking he'd sound better in that setting. As others said, he has a hard time even singing any melody these days and less instruments would expose that even more, especially since his voice is more clipping in the lower register by now.

And from whom should he regain credibility? Do you think critics will say 'Oh, Jon's done some small acoustic tours with low-key songs, hey, he's a great artist after all?' That's quite naive to assume.
He'd go off the radar because the general audience wouldn't know about these, let alone care and half of the fan base left here probably wouldn't be interested in paying hundreds of bucks to hear songs in versions they didn't like in the first place.