Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Eminem To Retire In September! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=31048)

RyanBounce04 07-17-2005 01:16 AM

Eminem To Retire In September!

Has Eminem run out of encores?

The rapper is apparently ready to hang up his mike, at least according to a report Friday in his hometown newpaper, the Detroit Free Press.

Citing sources close to the platinum-selling hip-hop star, the Free Press says the real Slim Shady will play his last concert in Dublin on Sept. 17.

The report also speculates that the rapper's most recent release, Encore, will be his swan song, as he focuses on producing other rap artists.

Paul Rosenberg, Eminem's longtime manager, told the Press no final decision has been made regarding Em's future plans. However, Rosenberg did say that Encore, which topped the charts when released in November, was "certainly the cap on this part of his career." The rapper, known for his arch sense of humor, is pictured giving a final bow on the cover of the album and closes out the set with the track "Curtains Down."

If indeed Encore is his last official offering as Eminem, the 33-year-old, born Marshall Mathers III, will go out as the best-selling hip-hop artist of all time. His four solo studio albums--1999's The Slim Shady LP, 2000's The Marshall Mathers LP, 2002's The Eminem Show and Encore--have moved more than 25 million copies in the U.S. alone; he has generated sales of more than $1 billion worth of records.

He's also won nine Grammys to go along with Best Song Oscar for the 8 Mile track "Lose Yourself."

Eminem has already established himself as a deft A&R man and producer, guiding the debut release of mega-selling Shady Records artist 50 Cent, Get Rich or Die Tryin'. Em also produced two offerings from his Detroit rap crew D-12.

As with his other artists, Em will likely make a cameo on new protege Stat Quo's debut offering, Statlanta, due early next year on Shady/Aftermath. (Quo, who has been touring on Eminem and 50 Cent's Anger Management 3 trek, was hospitalized Wednesday after a tour bus crashed en route to a Denver concert. He is said to be recovering nicely and will likely rejoin the tour Sunday outside Seattle.

Of course, even if Eminem says he's giving up the spotlight, it might be easier said than done. He need look no further than Jay-Z, who announced his retirement from the rap game late last year and has already guested on one album and performed at the Live 8 concert earlier this month.

www.launch.com

Holy shit... I can't believe he is going to retire... In a sense it makes me sad because the guy is an amazing rapper. This is the point when rap becomes dead. Too bad! :x

Ryan

Keba 07-17-2005 01:26 AM

If he does retire, rap will probably change, and may become weaker. I don't think that's such a bad thing because maybe then rock will make a comeback. Then again, it's only one man retiring.

spunkywho 07-17-2005 01:49 AM

Re: Eminem To Retire In September!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanBounce04
This is the point when rap becomes dead. Too bad! :x

Ryan

ahhhh, he isn't exactly the first one and surely won't be the last.

I love him even more now that he is going to retire - perfect imo. Stop before you turn into a cliche. I think he's said everything he ever had to say. Maybe now we can get married, since the whole touring kind of ticked me off.... :lol:

Javier 07-17-2005 02:55 AM

I guess he was getting annoying, maybe if he doesn't retire we'll get a vacation from him.
Cause I was kinda getting tired of having to turn off everything he's on, Don't get me wrong there's stuff on his records that I really enjoy, but his leading singles really sucked, well in my taste anyway.
I can't stand that song he did where he's dissing thriumph, it's annoying.

Mousebounce 07-17-2005 04:55 PM

It is better off. He ran out of material a long time ago. His latest album is sad, compared to the stuff he has done in the past. You can't rap about the hood and being poor and unhappy when you can't relate to it anymore.

Mousebounce 07-19-2005 02:40 PM

Bah, MTV news said that this is just a rumor, and there is no truth to it.

Neurotica80 07-19-2005 03:04 PM

He'll just be saying it to boost his ticket sales for this tour

Like Meatloaf who must have had about farewell tours by now!!!

jess 07-19-2005 04:08 PM

I hope it's true :roll:

joviangel92 07-19-2005 05:12 PM

Ohhh - goodby - won´t miss him :twisted:

RyanBounce04 07-19-2005 06:49 PM

Well thankfully... The record company came out and said it was a rumor... THANK GOD! :D

Ryan

spunkywho 07-19-2005 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanBounce04
Well thankfully... The record company came out and said it was a rumor... THANK GOD! :D

Ryan

:( so, again no wedding bells for me :(

clarity 07-19-2005 09:06 PM

I was about to say 'finally'

...but apparently it's not true :evil:

Yvonne 07-20-2005 10:05 AM

Good i like Slim

Kev 07-22-2005 10:11 AM

Ok, now im slightly confused. Is he actually retiring or not? I even read on teletext that he was quiiting. So is it true or not?

Mousebounce 07-22-2005 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev
Ok, now im slightly confused. Is he actually retiring or not? I even read on teletext that he was quiiting. So is it true or not?

No, it was just a rumor. I stated that about five posts before Ryan. :twisted: :P

MTV news spoke with Em, and he said that there isn't any truth to it.

Kev 07-22-2005 01:47 PM

Grrrrr. I was hoping we had heard the last of him. I dont see what everyone see's in him. hehe. Just not my kind of genre of music I guess :roll:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousebounce
MTV news spoke with Em, and he said that there isn't any truth to it.

Mousebounce 07-22-2005 01:55 PM

He was fun in the beginning, but his act got a bit old. His latest album is just dumb.

spunkywho 07-22-2005 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousebounce
He was fun in the beginning, but his act got a bit old. His latest album is just dumb.

not that I want to, but I might have to agree with it. Lyrically, it just doesn't measure up. :(

Kev 07-22-2005 04:24 PM

What was his best album? Or which your your personal fave? I dont really like his music, but I wanna listen to an album properly to see what all the fuss is about.

spunkywho 07-22-2005 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev
What was his best album? Or which your your personal fave? I dont really like his music, but I wanna listen to an album properly to see what all the fuss is about.

I can't decide between the Slim Shady or the Eminem Show - both have some awesome songs on it. To me it isn't about the style of the song, though it does go well with the lyrics - no melodic type music would go with it. What I particularly like about his songs is his honesty and the emotions he puts forward - unedited - politically incorrect as they may - and if you listen to a lot of it, you start to really like him as a person. I did. I think he is a great guy who came a long way from a rather disadvantaged past and still turned out 'alright'. Hats off for that.

If you just want some songs to check out:

White America
Cleaning out my Closet
Guilty Conscience
'97 Bonnie and Clyde
Just Don't give a ****
Still don't give a ****

Let me know what you think!

Kev 07-22-2005 05:22 PM

Ok, well I will download both 'Slim Shady' and 'the Eminem Show'. I cant see me liking either of them though LOL.

spunkywho 07-22-2005 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev
Ok, well I will download both 'Slim Shady' and 'the Eminem Show'. I cant see me liking either of them though LOL.

approach it with an open mind and pay attention to the lyrics. I really can't understand how people cannot like Eminem --- he must be speaking out of the hearts of at least 80% of 'young' people (not teenagers but, you know, my age ;) lol). I truly believe that people who don't like him, never even paid attention to any of his songs.

clarity 07-22-2005 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spunkywho
I truly believe that people who don't like him, never
even paid attention to any of his songs.

Oh come on, like Eminem's the greatest thing that's happened to music in decades :roll:

Let's start off with that ****ing annoying voice of his. I have his Marshall Mathers LP, which I used to like when I was 12 (ok 14... ok, 18 ), but when I hear it now it makes me wanna jump off a bridge. A very high one. Something like this:

http://www.enerpac.com/html/Projects...lau-Closed.jpg

The Millau Viaduct in France, 343 meters high. Just about enough to ensure you'll never have to hear another Eminem record again.

So, his lyrics, yes, they are quite good. For somebody who is mentally ill. One of his most brilliant songs, lyrically, must be "I Am". Which starts off with the words the world will always remember:

"whatever...dre just let it run..hey yo turn the beat up a little bit..yo this song is for anyone..**** it..shut up and listen..hey yo"

I agree, it takes some vodka's and a serious lack of talent to come up with such a masterpiece. I'd have to say that his best talent is however to make each song sound exactly the same. Several artist, like Bon Jovi, have tried to copy this formula, but without an awful lot of success.

Oh, about the lyrics: it's well known that Eminem is not really fond of himself when he looks in the mirror (or maybe he's just really frustrated when he runs out of bleacher), so he takes it out on almost anything and anyone who's out there. Ofcourse it's a joke, c'mon people: he's not really gonna kill his mom, his girlfriend, his kid, all women in general and all gay people (except for Elton John that is). Though he has promised us he will. Over and over and over again. It's a bit like Jon Bon Jovi: saying one thing, doing the other. C'mon kill that girlfriend of yours. You know you wanna. Drive her off a bridge, I can recommend a good one.

Nope sorry dear, he had just about enough talent to make it through one record. After that it was just the same (****ed up) thing all over again.

Javier 07-22-2005 08:09 PM

Dr. Dre is a great producer.

RichieW2001 07-22-2005 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier
Dr. Dre is a great producer.

correct.

his beats are infectious.

spunkywho 07-22-2005 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarity

Nope sorry dear, he had just about enough talent to make it through one record. After that it was just the same (**** up) thing all over again.

I am sorry you have the sensitivity of an ox. :(

Again, I truly don't see how people feel the need to diss Eminems songs - clearly they can't identify with any of it (provided they listened in the first place), which makes me wonder what wholesome life some people lead.... :?

Javier 07-22-2005 10:05 PM

i like and can identify the a few, but the majority i don't like, and/or find to be exactly the same as other material he has done, which puts me off.
I have always hated his first singles, they are nothing but succeded tounge in cheek attemots at getting media attention.
But I really do think he needs to take a break because he's getting overexposure since a few years now.

clarity 07-22-2005 11:21 PM

Quote:

I am sorry you have the sensitivity of an ox. :(

Sensitivity? We're talking Eminem here...

Quote:

Again, I truly don't see how people feel the need to diss Eminems songs - clearly they can't identify with any of it (provided they listened in the first place)
Nope, I can't and why is that so hard to understand? I can't relate to his
songs in *any* way, I'm sorry. And I'm sorry that you seem to think of
him as the saviour of modern day music. He's not.

Quote:

which makes me wonder what wholesome life some people lead.... :?
What's that got to do with the lives of those people? I relate to lots of songs
by lots of artists and to lots and lots of misery (have you ever heard
singer-songwriters like Damien Rice, Tori Amos, Sarah Slean, Angela
McCluskey, Rachael Yamagata, Emiliana Torrini - and on a lesser note -
Ryan Adams, John Mayer, to name a few - THEN we're talking sensitivity
and emotion).

Don't make judgements on people's lifes based on a ****ing rapper who's
at best entertaining for one album (and I have one).

spunkywho 07-22-2005 11:43 PM

Quote:

And I'm sorry that you seem to think of
him as the saviour of modern day music. He's not.

I actually don't think that at all - sorry I somehow mislead you :(

Quote:

Don't make judgements on people's lifes based on a **** rapper who's
at best entertaining for one album (and I have one).
take a chill pill, clarity. don't take everything I say so seriously or you'll have a lot of typing ahead of you ;)

It's fine if you or anybody doesn't identify - I'll joke about it, but it really is FINE! I can't understand it, but I am sure lots of people can. I am not the judge of what is cool and what isn't or what one needs to understand and what one doesn't need to understand. Though I often pretend I am ;)

It's Friday night, let's have a drink :)

clarity 07-22-2005 11:47 PM

Quote:

Amen 8)

spunkywho 07-22-2005 11:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Amen 8)

;)

Neurotica80 07-23-2005 09:19 AM

Kev I personally reckon youd like more mainstream tracks. I own one Eminem Cd and thats the Eminem show, ok havnt listened to it all that much but I reckon its the best out of the lot