Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Steel Panther (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55951)

Iceman 08-17-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickolai (Post 1150464)
He's reeling out the rod. Don't take the bait, people.

Tictoc is but a troll. It's all he's ever been. I've had him on my ignore list for a long time now, I suggest everyone to block him. He hasn't contributed anything to this community.

Ice

sambos apprentice 08-17-2013 01:43 PM

incredible band.

anyone who thinks the guys are con-artists are plain ****ing stooopid.

I met them and they were great guys, spoke about music-they really know their stuff.

Satchel is a genius-defo the brains of the operation musically. They're all very intelligent fellas.

One of the best gigs I've been to was their show in 2012.

Tictoc 08-17-2013 04:15 PM

Haha, oh Christ. How pitifully deluded are you people?

Steel Panther are made up of actors. It's a comedy troupe ffs. I have no doubt that they are also decent musicians but live they cover up a lot with backing tracks and the lead singer mimes more often than not.

E.g, look at this video - The singer isn't even in time with the vocal track. He's too busy trying to look funny. There's also videos where the guitarist solos, drops his guitar and the solo keeps playing on.

Deal with it instead of acting like little fan girls.

Captain Walrus 08-17-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1150429)
What? Which song is about beating your girlfriend? And there are never enough songs about anal sex, even SP only has a few.

Why Dont You Trust Me - sample lyrics "before I go Chris Brown and punch you in the neck" and "Or I'm gonna rip your head off in a cocaine rage"

Iceman 08-17-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Walrus (Post 1150478)
Why Dont You Trust Me - sample lyrics "before I go Chris Brown and punch you in the neck" and "Or I'm gonna rip your head off in a cocaine rage"

Uh, that's not really about beating your girlfriend, it's a parody of a "rock star behaviour". And even then, it's at best (or worst) threathning with violence, not about beating your girlfriend.

I wouldn't take the lyrics that seriously, it's all about parody, taking the cliche's and amping them to the max.

Ice

Iceman 08-17-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambos apprentice (Post 1150469)
I met them and they were great guys, spoke about music-they really know their stuff.

Satchel is a genius-defo the brains of the operation musically. They're all very intelligent fellas.

They're all excellent musicians. Satchel (aka Russ Parrish) is one of the best guitarists around. He was a teacher(!) at the GIT and has written with Paul Gilbert and toured with Rob Halford for example. Michael Starr (aka Ralph Saenz) sang with LA Guns, and the other guys have been around the block as well.

They can really play and sing, and even though the stage show and most of the raps are pre-planned, it's still hell of a show.

Ice

Captain Walrus 08-17-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1150481)
Uh, that's not really about beating your girlfriend, it's a parody of a "rock star behaviour". And even then, it's at best (or worst) threathning with violence, not about beating your girlfriend.

I wouldn't take the lyrics that seriously, it's all about parody, taking the cliche's and amping them to the max.

Ice

Oh don't worry I dont take it seriously, but I dont find it particularly funny either. There are some good songs on that album (Tomorrow Night being the best of them) but there are some pretty terrible ones too (Critter, Let Me Come In, Why Don't you trust me, Thats What Girls Are For). Overall its just not a great album

Iceman 08-17-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Walrus (Post 1150483)
Oh don't worry I dont take it seriously, but I dont find it particularly funny either. There are some good songs on that album (Tomorrow Night being the best of them) but there are some pretty terrible ones too (Critter, Let Me Come In, Why Don't you trust me, Thats What Girls Are For). Overall its just not a great album

Seems like you like the ones where they make fun of themselves, and dislike the ones where they act like schauvinist rock stars. I think the first album is better, but I still like all the songs you mentioned.

Ice

Dave 1986 08-17-2013 10:19 PM

Love this band. Apparently, apart from Michael Starr, the rest of the band wear wigs. Dunno how true this is.

Feel the Steel is probably the best album as I feel it's more consistent, whereas Balls Out has some great songs but more filler. For some reason my favourite track on Balls Out is "Just Like Tiger Woods". It's not the most in-your-face Panther song but its just loaded with hooks and I love the guitar work on it. Maybe it's the more melodic side of it I like the most.

I saw them live in 2011 supporting Mötley Crüe and Def Leppard in Wembley Arena and naturally it was a great show. They really own the stage. Should pick up their live Blu Ray soon.

Iceman 08-17-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1150486)
Love this band. Apparently, apart from Michael Starr, the rest of the band wear wigs. Dunno how true this is.

It's true, you can find pictures of them pretty easily.

Ice