Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Richie Sambora!!! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70391)

Thinny 03-14-2021 10:46 AM

Haven't got time to listen to all of this right now. What is the relevance to Richie in this interview please?

steel_horse75 03-14-2021 11:21 AM

Richie Sambora!!!

It’s been 8 years and I don’t think Richie could even fill Shepherd’s Bush empire now.
Solo projects are very rarely received as well as the band they play ins music unless you’re the main face of the band.
Jon carries the Bon Jovi name so his solo projects were well received without setting the world alight. Although,Blaze did very well I’m not sure how well DA did sales wise.
I think when you do a solo album it’s more just to get out of the bands bubble and work with other people. You probably don’t really care about sales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thinny 03-14-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1272837)
It’s been 8 years and I don’t think Richie could even fill Shepherd’s Bush empire now.

Time will tell, but I think he could still sell out The Empire in a heartbeat. In 2012 he sold it out in a few hours, and the loyal Richie followers are still there. The Bad Company tour was 4-5 years ago now I think (already!?) and there was a good portion of Richie fans in attendance on the 3 nights that I went to, so I don't think he'd have a problem with 2,000 capacity venues in the UK such as The Empire. Can't speak for other countries.

Captain_jovi 03-14-2021 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1272838)
Time will tell, but I think he could still sell out The Empire in a heartbeat. In 2012 he sold it out in a few hours, and the loyal Richie followers are still there. The Bad Company tour was 4-5 years ago now I think (already!?) and there was a good portion of Richie fans in attendance on the 3 nights that I went to, so I don't think he'd have a problem with 2,000 capacity venues in the UK such as The Empire. Can't speak for other countries.

How did the 2014 run do in your area? I'm trying to think back of how much RSO toured. I know they did the Australia run but with Orianthi there, that's a much easier sell. Did they do the UK on their own around there?

Thinny 03-14-2021 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1272842)
How did the 2014 run do in your area? I'm trying to think back of how much RSO toured. I know they did the Australia run but with Orianthi there, that's a much easier sell. Did they do the UK on their own around there?

As far as I can remember they did The Calling Festival (they had a great turn out for that) and then headlined one night at O2 Islington Academy, which sold out instantly - I couldn't get tickets (only holds 800). Then they did Download Festival, so it's hard to judge really.

Edit: I was thinking that they were being billed as RSO at this point, but I forgot that these shows were still being promoted as "Richie Sambora" and were seen as something of a second leg for the Aftermath tour, but with Ori on guitar. The set still included quite a few numbers from that album. Ori doesn't really have much of a following over here, so I can't imagine that her being added would really have added much in numbers to the tickets.

Thinny 03-16-2021 06:31 PM

Another couple of interesting Richie finds today! Both up for auction.

In 1988, Richie Sambora agreed to record the song 'Daddy's Side of the Bed' with country vocalist Lucy Clark. The song was never released and remains an obscure recording from Richie's lengthy career.

Featured here is lot that includes a 7-inch reel with 1/4 inch tape for 'Daddy's Side of the Bed', two cassette tapes with a demo version of this song, as well as an 8 x 10-inch color photo of Lucy Clark and Richie Sambora. The 7-inch reel box also contains a rejection letter from Capitol / EMI in Nashville, confirming Richie's involvement with this song:

https://www.backstageauctions.com/ca...ot/ai/0/35477/

Offered here is a stunning pair of two master recordings of a late 1980s Richie Sambora song titled 'Runnin' Wild Child'. This song never appeared on any of his three solo albums, but it was used in 2007 on the 'Songs For The Soldier' album by Richie's good friend Lance Larson. Richie also appears on that 2007 edition of the song.

These are 10 1/2 inch reels with 2-inch tape. Please note that these recordings are strictly offered as a collectible. The purchase of them does not include, transfer, set over or convey any rights of any kind.

https://www.backstageauctions.com/ca...ls/ai/0/35476/

They also have a bunch of Jovi awards and memorabilia, but nothing too interesting.

Captain_jovi 03-16-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1272844)
As far as I can remember they did The Calling Festival (they had a great turn out for that) and then headlined one night at O2 Islington Academy, which sold out instantly - I couldn't get tickets (only holds 800). Then they did Download Festival, so it's hard to judge really.

Edit: I was thinking that they were being billed as RSO at this point, but I forgot that these shows were still being promoted as "Richie Sambora" and were seen as something of a second leg for the Aftermath tour, but with Ori on guitar. The set still included quite a few numbers from that album. Ori doesn't really have much of a following over here, so I can't imagine that her being added would really have added much in numbers to the tickets.

Yeah if I recall there was a brief period of overlap where both Ori and Luke were in the band.

Thinny 03-16-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1272868)
Yeah if I recall there was a brief period of overlap where both Ori and Luke were in the band.

Yes they were both certainly there at Hyde Park (Hard Rock Calling Fest)

QUceK1WV8 03-16-2021 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1272831)
RSO was a huge mistake. He should have released a solo album under his name that featured her as a guitarist with limited vocals.

Yes it was, wasn't it? And I know you said so from the start. So did Steel horse quoted below. Not only to Richie, as like you said he seemed to scrap his solo album for it. Surely it could not have done any worse that RSO? Or be any worse. But I will go further and I think the whole musical collaboration between the two was and still is and forever will be a mistake. They just don't mix.

And quite frankly, and I know I am being mean here, but she is a never was by now. If Richie wants to hang out with a hot guitar playing girl he can do better. She can play there's no denying that but what's the point? He can play too or at least he used to be good. A few months sober and I am sure he is as good as ever, if he were to choose so. He doesn't need a gun slinger.

But on the topic of hot guitar playing blondes, Lindsay Ell just broke up with his boyfriend, Richie. Just saying.. :P /Ok, I will stop being mean and evil

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1272835)
I do believe that the relative commercial failiure of Aftermath kinda destroyed his hopes of really building anything majorly successful as a solo artist. I think that is one of the reasons he decided on the RSO project - maybe a joint venture would get more exposure, but the whole thing was executed so poorly it never stood a chance. I think following that he's just decided it's just not worth it. He's had his success with Bon Jovi, made more money than most of us could ever dream of. That's enough, time to just enjoy life however he sees fit. As long as we get the occasional new music from him and he doesn't just stop recording, playing, singing and writing completely, I'll take that...

Pretty much my thoughts exactly, except the detail that I think that Richie was thinking with something other than his brain when he decided on RSO. And also like many people pointed out at the time it was doomed from the beginning. Not only were they two lead guitars but their voices just do not mix, at all. But I wanted to hope against hope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1272837)
I think when you do a solo album it’s more just to get out of the bands bubble and work with other people. You probably don’t really care about sales.

I think this is true for most artists and I am almost completely certain this is the case with Richie. He has made his money. On the other hand especially during the worst times of RSO I also felt that he was in need of something to brush up his ego as a rocker. Unfortunately the reality was that it was not that seldom that Richie Sambora feat. Orianthi or RSO ended up in a mess on stage that Orianthi tried to salvage as best she could. It was just so unprofessional and all over the place.

What if they had just had a relationship? Go on a tour together even, with Richie headlining and Orianthi as a supporting act? Why did they have to mess it up for almost ten years? And now I can't follow either of them on social media, because I fear that any day now they will tell us there will be more of RSO coming up.

Why why whine whine :( :(

Captain Walrus 03-16-2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1272869)
Yes they were both certainly there at Hyde Park (Hard Rock Calling Fest)

Just jumping in with some pedantry, the 2014 Calling Festival was in Clapham Common rather than Hyde Park :D

I remember Richie's performance as being very medium, but then I was already drunk by that point!