Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Richie Sambora!!! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70391)

Captain_jovi 05-03-2021 04:33 PM

The more I listen to it the more All That Glitters has such a Shanks-y feeling to it. By that I mean it has that Killers/U2-guitar shimmer to it with over-processed drums.

That being said it's really growing on me.

Thinny 05-03-2021 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273475)
The more I listen to it the more All That Glitters has such a Shanks-y feeling to it. By that I mean it has that Killers/U2-guitar shimmer to it with over-processed drums.

That being said it's really growing on me.

You're right it does, which is really odd as that's the direction that we all presumed Richie had a problem with. Everything in moderation I guess. It's definitely the one I like the least so far, but it is growing on me.

There was poppy production styles on RSO, but they didn't have a Shanks feel to them, which this does.

CKatz 05-03-2021 06:32 PM

Ranking the snippets heard so far:

1) Pain
2) Bag of Nails
3) All that Glitters
4) Songs that Wrote My Life

I really like the old school Rhythm & Blues direction of "Pain". I'd be very happy if the whole album was in that style.

steel_horse75 05-03-2021 06:37 PM

Pain sounded good. Richie can still sing.
All that Glitters sounded horrible pop pap.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

semigoodlooking 05-03-2021 10:41 PM

I think even those who like this new music will admit it is unlikely to be as good as Stranger. With that in mind, why wouldn't you want Stranger part 2? I mean, give me another amazing record even if it's the same as before over middle of the road (at best) new ideas... which aren't really new ideas anyway.

steel_horse75 05-04-2021 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1273479)
I think even those who like this new music will admit it is unlikely to be as good as Stranger. With that in mind, why wouldn't you want Stranger part 2? I mean, give me another amazing record even if it's the same as before over middle of the road (at best) new ideas... which aren't really new ideas anyway.

Stranger was excellent but if Jon is making poor records now I certainly don’t expect Richie to be making Stranger 2 either.
I’m happy he is doing what he wants as to me he can do what he likes as he is not in Bon Jovi any more whereas I feel Jon let’s the Bon Jovi legacy down with every new album as it’s so far away from what made Bon Jovi so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thinny 05-04-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1273479)

The problem is when artists try to recapture their signature sound from years before, usually it just sounds forced and tired.

For instance, I love Slang by Def Leppard. They tried something new and interesting, while at the same time you could still tell it was Def Leppard. Then they released Euphoria and tried to go back to their classic sound...and it was just a poor immitation of Hysteria.

When artists make albums to please a fan base, I always find them lacklustre and it will always get compared to the original, which it will never live up to.

I don't want Jon to make Slippery part two either. Can you even imagine how bad that would be?

semigoodlooking 05-04-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1273484)
The problem is when artists try to recapture their signature sound from years before, usually it just sounds forced and tired.

For instance, I love Slang by Def Leppard. They tried something new and interesting, while at the same time you could still tell it was Def Leppard. Then they released Euphoria and tried to go back to their classic sound...and it was just a poor immitation of Hysteria.

When artists make albums to please a fan base, I always find them lacklustre and it will always get compared to the original, which it will never live up to.

I don't want Jon to make Slippery part two either. Can you even imagine how bad that would be?

I don't know, maybe you're right. I was seeing it more from Slippery Part 2 (i.e. with the same quality of the original), not simply trying to recreate it. That said, I think I would love the beautiful mess of Jon trying to do a Slippery 2... what an interesting failure that would be.

Thinny 05-04-2021 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1273485)
I don't know, maybe you're right. I was seeing it more from Slippery Part 2 (i.e. with the same quality of the original), not simply trying to recreate it. That said, I think I would love the beautiful mess of Jon trying to do a Slippery 2... what an interesting failure that would be.

Honestly at 60ish I don't think either of them have anything near the same quality of material in them that they did in their 20s/30s. Not many do.

Alphavictim 05-04-2021 04:04 PM

Slippery part 2 exists, it's called New Jersey. Of course, the sound is way too rooted in the 80s to be an option for BJ the band nowadays. But the general sentiment - having something to prove, making a concise energetic upbeat record, taking extra steps (demoing a lot more, getting new personell in to help)... this would still be an option. Especially the part about demoing more, working on stuff more.