Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Things that annoy you about Bon Jovi (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70509)

rickysambo 02-12-2019 08:13 AM

Things that annoy you about Bon Jovi

They could be the little things you noted in the songs or even major general flaws regarding the band's sound/members.
YouTube recommended me "WWBTF" & I remembered how 'fan outrage' had led to Richie adding a solo over the original version that just included a Beatle-esque bridge (in Richie's words). I wondered if we could hypothetically correct certain things that annoy us in some songs.
Let's start with this: The ending of Last Cigarette. Instead of the annoying background vocals/chorus repeat "No one told me she told me the last cigarette", I wish it had a short guitar solo/melody to end things ala Flesh & Bone/Always/Saturday Night. IMO a lot of songs would benefit from this treatment:-D

Walleris 02-12-2019 09:45 AM

I'll put some more thoughts into this and come back later this week, but here's a starter - I hate how nowadays they start every album with a lead single. It is incredibly lazy - This House, BWC, WWBTF, exception (Memory, a ballad, was the lead single so they went with LH, the second single), HAND, exception (Undivided, great!), IML. I want albums to have proper beginning and proper end, which what was so great about the previous four - Hey God, I Believe, Lay Your Hands and Let It Rock all served that purpose very well! The only recent release that did it in my eyes was Tearsdrops To The Sea for Burning Bridges - a record Jon did not care for.

steel_horse75 02-12-2019 09:59 AM

The decline in quality from Crush onwards.

richiefan95 02-12-2019 10:20 AM

Phil X.

As my username suggests my favorite member in the band was Richie. But I have absolutely no problem with that that Richie is not in the band anymore.

I want a guitar player that sounds and plays like Richie. I don't think that there are many guitar players that are more away from Richie's playing style than Phil X and this guy is replacing him.

Also I hate his behavior. In this forum Richie is often criticized that he acts weird for his age. What about Phil X. This is a guy who is over 50 making "Bathroom Jams" on Instagram and sounding horrible doing this.

Also it seems to me that he doesn't respect the Bon Jovi music. In every interview he does he never says something positive about the band or their music and always comes with I have my band the Drills........

rickysambo 02-12-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1250928)
The decline in quality from Crush onwards.

Hmm. I think there are at least 2 below average songs on every album post 2000 [Crush included: SAVE THE WORLD & I GOT THE GIRL] and the fact that bonus tracks off some of these albums were so good makes it even worse.

rickysambo 02-12-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1250925)
I'll put some more thoughts into this and come back later this week, but here's a starter - I hate how nowadays they start every album with a lead single. It is incredibly lazy - This House, BWC, WWBTF, exception (Memory, a ballad, was the lead single so they went with LH, the second single), HAND, exception (Undivided, great!), IML. I want albums to have proper beginning and proper end, which what was so great about the previous four - Hey God, I Believe, Lay Your Hands and Let It Rock all served that purpose very well! The only recent release that did it in my eyes was Tearsdrops To The Sea for Burning Bridges - a record Jon did not care for.

Very good point!

steel_horse75 02-12-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickysambo (Post 1250930)
Hmm. I think there are at least 2 below average songs on every album post 2000 [Crush included: SAVE THE WORLD & I GOT THE GIRL] and the fact that bonus tracks off some of these albums were so good makes it even worse.

The bonus tracks are always better than whats on the album.

Id say if theres 12 songs on an album ill dislike 8 of them at least.

rickysambo 02-12-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richiefan95 (Post 1250929)
Phil X.

As my username suggests my favorite member in the band was Richie. But I have absolutely no problem with that that Richie is not in the band anymore.

I want a guitar player that sounds and plays like Richie. I don't think that there are many guitar players that are more away from Richie's playing style than Phil X and this guy is replacing him.

Also I hate his behavior. In this forum Richie is often criticized that he acts weird for his age. What about Phil X. This is a guy who is over 50 making "Bathroom Jams" on Instagram and sounding horrible doing this.

Also it seems to me that he doesn't respect the Bon Jovi music. In every interview he does he never says something positive about the band or their music and always comes with I have my band the Drills........

I agree about Mr. X. I haven't listened to anything post Richie [live/studio] but from what I've heard and seen of Phil X [who's probably fit in with Avenged 7x with that edgy boi name], it makes it easier to hate on him. And I don't think anyone can replicate that Richie feel [backing vocals better than Jon's + idiosyncratic leads/rhythm chops].

semigoodlooking 02-12-2019 12:07 PM

Jon's insistence (lie) that the band must always move forward musically, when in fact he was simply chasing trends. They stayed relevent I suppose but at the expense of good music.

I didn't expect These Days 2 when Crush came around as that album was clearly unique. Writing a dark album when not in a bad space is a lightning in a bottle situation and I guess the themes on These Days just had to come out from somewhere.

However, there is no reason why Jon couldn't have looked at what made the band good and followed that. Of course, there is the possibility that the band was always chasing trends and that would explain why Jon, who never embraced the glam metal 80s thing, was in that world in the first place. Maybe they didn't change, but we all did.

Captain_jovi 02-12-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richiefan95 (Post 1250929)
Phil X.

To me he is having fun doing what he loves. What's wrong with bathroom jams?

As for the band material I don't think it's his cup of tea but I think he respects it's legacy enough nor do I think he over promotes his own band. I'm shocked his earlier videos talking about his dislike of Richie's playing style didn't make more of a fuss later even after he took it down.

james_d 02-12-2019 04:30 PM

I find it annoying how the band can't seem to start a song anymore. Case in point WWWU. The song is just getting going, could be a cool riff, then it just comes in with the vocals.

united17 02-12-2019 06:44 PM

I say this as a fan who got in with HAND, liked LH and TC...a fan of the newer stuff more than the older..

Everything just seems very safe and middling these days, the live act lacks energy and maybe as mentioned in another thread it stems from the Jon and Shanks feedback loop.
The 'Bon Jovi machine' feels sluggish.

Lack of fan engagement online. I like what Fall Out Boy have done with their latest album especially the effort with promoting and engaging with fans in the 'Mania' era. Weezer as well. It's fun for the fans.

The music's stale (personal opinion)...since WAN it's been uninspiring bar a few songs (We Dont Run, Ghost, Room and Born Again Tomorrow come to mind). Jon's vocals sound like he's got something in his mouth + the fuzzy production/final output.

Jon makes it seem like they're constantly changing up the setlist while alternating 1 song a night. His vocals & setlist choices have been discussed ad nauseam.

I think Jon has given up on the prospects of 'mainstream' success in the past couple of years but it leaves me wondering what direction he wants to take the band in - cuz it feels like it's going nowhere with Walls and WUUU.

'Home is where you are and where I am' in Brokenpromiseland..i mean wtf..?

I like the change in direction bands like FOB, Linkin Park (prior to Chester's passing) Weezer, Mike Posner and Matt Nathanson have made. They seem to be passionate about their work and vocally so when it comes to press and fan engagement, Bon Jovi doesn't.

JackieBlue 02-12-2019 07:13 PM

bonjovi.com.

IMO, it's useless. There may have been a time when it was decent, but not in my Jovi lifetime. When I first started following the band, it took forever to open, and actually crashed my computer a couple times. It's easier to open it now; but there's no reason to. Last time I checked, it was basically an online catalog and store.

steel_horse75 02-12-2019 11:29 PM

Bonjovi.com is just a place to sell overpriced merch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zakatar 02-13-2019 06:43 AM

Two Words: John Shanks.

Call me crazy, but I actually wish Bobby was still around. His couldn't solo to save his life, but he was a great rhythm player and and an even better singer, which is why no one was complaining about background vocals during the BWC tour after Richie left.

Calyx 02-13-2019 07:35 AM

I recently compiled about a dozen or so bonus tracks from HAND to THINFS into a playlist and it made for a better listening experience than any of the albums they were cut from.

I'm always frustrated when an album comes out and the bonus songs are almost always better than half the album.

rickysambo 02-14-2019 06:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zakatar (Post 1250951)
Two Words: John Shanks.

Did my part :-D

Becky 02-14-2019 02:44 PM

Other fans, mostly. Sorry, not sorry. It’s the truth.

Sometimes I find a lyric annoying because I think it could have been improved.

Not being able to expect major surprises in the set list.

The insistence on playing certain songs at every show when there’s so much material, often better, that could be rotated. Is there anyone who prefers WWBTF & BTBMB to Blaze of Glory, These Days, Always, Wild Is the Wind, or Living in Sin?

bonjovi90 02-14-2019 04:16 PM

These days, a lot.

That's why I mostly stick to the times where I feel they still had something to say.

BJFan99 02-14-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1250964)
Other fans, mostly. Sorry, not sorry. It’s the truth.

Sometimes I find a lyric annoying because I think it could have been improved.

Not being able to expect major surprises in the set list.

The insistence on playing certain songs at every show when there’s so much material, often better, that could be rotated. Is there anyone who prefers WWBTF & BTBMB to Blaze of Glory, These Days, Always, Wild Is the Wind, or Living in Sin?

The setlist choices are probably at least 75% due to Jon's vocals in each show. Whenever his voice is in decent shape (for this period, Porto Alegre, Sao Paulo and Prudential night #2 have been these kinds of examples), he'll put more of the harder-to-sing fan favorites (BOR, ITA, BOB, SIBSN, Always, TD etc.) in the setlist. Then again, whenever he thinks he won't be able to sing those songs, he leaves them out.

BUT:

Why can't he replace those songs with ones that are less difficult to sing, but still rare - or even good overall? Letting You Go, Diamond Ring, Love For Sale, FFS even Radio or acoustic NSG? WHY?????

Oh, of course. In Jon's mind those songs probably sound dated and don't fit his "we're not a nostalgia band" attitude (which is an even bigger indication of him desperately living in denial). No casual goes to the band's concert to hear the new songs. They want to hear Prayer, Bad Name, Wanted, IML, BOR, IBTFY, ITA, Always, LYHOM, HAND and BM (plus maybe BOG). All the other songs are "new" for them - FFS, even KTF and TD seem to be relatively unknown for the casuals (in the USA - in Europe those songs are big hits all around; for example, here in Finland both songs are very often played on the rock radio stations).

YOVANAfromPeru 02-14-2019 11:12 PM

http://www.bonjovi.com/wp-content/up...y2019_site.jpg

liljovi93 02-15-2019 10:35 AM

For me, over the past few years, it's the lack of outros on studio albums that they play on live shows.

Just off the top of my head:

Born Again Tomorrow
Thorn In My Side
Loves The Only Rule
This House Is Not For Sale
God Bless This Mess
Any Other Day
That's What The Water Made Me

These songs could have been even better in the studio if they had some extended outros like the live performances. I love the surprise element of the live shows when we get outros but even if only half of these songs had extended outros, it would make things a bit better from a studio point of view. It just shows the lack of imagination and creativity from the band when they release a new album. They either 1) Can't be assed or 2) Think to themselves they will throw outros on live shows instead.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

rickysambo 02-15-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1250985)
For me, over the past few years, it's the lack of outros on studio albums that they play on live shows.

These songs could have been even better in the studio if they had some extended outros like the live performances. I love the surprise element of the live shows when we get outros but even if only half of these songs had extended outros, it would make things a bit better from a studio point of view. It just shows the lack of imagination and creativity from the band when they release a new album. They either 1) Can't be assed or 2) Think to themselves they will throw outros on live shows instead.

Yep, that was my point as well.
I think its gotta do with Jon's stranglehold on the creativity, he probably views the extended outros as just something to dance on stage during liveshows [reminds me of Live in London DVD where he went absolutely bananas on "Always"] or to engage the crowd with dual guitar moves ["Saturday Night", "Thorn"] or even to show his command over the well oiled machinery that the band is via timed hand movements ala music directors ["Keep the Faith"]. Maybe it was Richie/band being lazy at being assertive during the recordings. How awesome a song is "Flesh & Bone" with the amazing outro or the live version of "Any other day" with an extra Richie solo at the end. Contrast them with "Its my Life" where the repeated final chorus becomes a bit tedious to listen to.

liljovi93 02-15-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickysambo (Post 1250986)
Yep, that was my point as well.

I think its gotta do with Jon's stranglehold on the creativity, he probably views the extended outros as just something to dance on stage during liveshows [reminds me of Live in London DVD where he went absolutely bananas on "Always"] or to engage the crowd with dual guitar moves ["Saturday Night", "Thorn"] or even to show his command over the well oiled machinery that the band is via timed hand movements ala music directors ["Keep the Faith"]. Maybe it was Richie/band being lazy at being assertive during the recordings. How awesome a song is "Flesh & Bone" with the amazing outro or the live version of "Any other day" with an extra Richie solo at the end. Contrast them with "Its my Life" where the repeated final chorus becomes a bit tedious to listen to.

Oh I 100% get that mate. That's why I'm saying that I'd like even half of the songs that I mentioned to just have them on solo stuff. That's what I listen too more (especially now) and I just think it'd bring a bit more 'creativity' as you said to the band.

I get that JBJ likes to walk around the stage and command the band and everything else but sometimes he just stands and watches or has a drink. Just be good to get some back.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

faith1985 02-15-2019 11:59 AM

Jon and the band are really trying to aim at doing hits. So they are not driven intrinsically anymore.
- I miss the guitar work that surprises me, some creative build-up and so on.
- To much focus on 'high-class-fan-trips' (intimate storytelling for 2000 bucks makes me sick)
- The lack of creative set lists
- Too much focus on numbers and 'look we are still very big'
- Too many live-your-life lyrics
- The lack in quality after Crush

cqleonardo 02-15-2019 03:26 PM

not releasing deluxe editions with remastered and unreleased stuff. not creating a live vault like Springsteen and Pearl Jam. still playing Captain Crash and Who Says (the last one, outside the US) live

bonjovi90 02-15-2019 04:34 PM

Maybe we should start an online petition?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

rickysambo 02-15-2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1250988)

- Too many live-your-life lyrics

It's my Life's success did irreparable damage to Jon's brain.

richiefan95 02-15-2019 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickysambo (Post 1250993)

This is the only reasonable explanation for the it's alright part in WhoSays.

I guess when Jon and Richie wrote it Richie went out to use the bathroom and Jon couldn't remember that he had included those words already and kept adding that phrase until Richie came back and said that's enough and they should remove the last 99 "it's alright".
Then Shanks came in and said to Jon that a song where you sing 100 times "it's alright" is the best lyric he has ever heard and advised him that for the live version it would be even better to sing 1000 times "it's alright".

YOVANAfromPeru 02-27-2019 06:04 PM

lol

https://twitter.com/runawaytours/sta...92315330355200

Captain_jovi 02-27-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richiefan95 (Post 1250995)
This is the only reasonable explanation for the it's alright part in WhoSays.

I guess when Jon and Richie wrote it Richie went out to use the bathroom and Jon couldn't remember that he had included those words already and kept adding that phrase until Richie came back and said that's enough and they should remove the last 99 "it's alright".
Then Shanks came in and said to Jon that a song where you sing 100 times "it's alright" is the best lyric he has ever heard and advised him that for the live version it would be even better to sing 1000 times "it's alright".

The idea that Richie was incapable of making something that annoys you is the most telling part of this joke.

YOVANAfromPeru 02-27-2019 11:01 PM

I LOVE Bon Jovi! lol
https://www.facebook.com/BonJovi/pos...55737999547000

Zakatar 02-28-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickysambo (Post 1250993)

IML's success did major damage but HAND's success five years later is what made it permanent.

rickysambo 03-01-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zakatar (Post 1251252)
IML's success did major damage but HAND's success five years later is what made it permanent.

It's weird because I really love all the 4 albums (2000-2009) if you take out one or two songs from each and put in the left out tracks. After that, it's been way too much "hey the world is mine and I'm not gonna be a face in the crowd" sort of sappy crap that is aimed ironically at a crowd. The explanation IMO is that Jon finally got sucked in way too far into the ugly vortex of politics ("Because we can" video was basically an Obama promo) & he felt he
developed a saviour complex instead of being the artist he was in the 90s. He felt that's what people liked in Bon Jovi now: The It's My Life sort of crap. When he did connect with the artist inside, I loved the results: The Al Pacino movie soundtrack songs were awesome. I hope he makes a solo record in the not too distant future with fresh support staff alongside (not Shanks et al).

steel_horse75 03-05-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickysambo (Post 1251262)
The Al Pacino movie soundtrack songs were awesome.

For me they were boring as hell.
If they were on a solo album Id understand ( and still hate) it.
The trouble with WAN it got really messy towards the end with the Richie track and the really slow movie songs.
That album literally falls off a cliff.

Matrix15 03-06-2019 07:12 PM

Infuriating that Jon is always asking for somebody to "take him to the sea" when he's surely got enough money to buy a boat himself :mad:

YOVANAfromPeru 03-06-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix15 (Post 1251390)
Infuriating that Jon is always asking for somebody to "take him to the sea" when he's surely got enough money to buy a boat himself :mad:

it's "take me to the C" (the musical note)

groover22 03-06-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1251391)
it's "take me to the C" (the musical note)

Whoosh...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YOVANAfromPeru 03-06-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groover22 (Post 1251398)
Whoosh...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you're making fun now of that twitter girl... OMG
Okay!

I guess I'm too sweet... lol

YOVANAfromPeru 03-07-2019 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1251399)
So you're making fun now of that twitter girl... OMG
Okay!

I guess I'm too sweet... lol

and the girl deleted her tweet...
https://twitter.com/TheMattBongiovi/...41210573242368