Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anything Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69483)

DestinationJovi 07-01-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Walrus (Post 1256485)
I mean, I'm not particular fan of the guy, but it's "really quite sad" that he's enjoying "his literal dream come true?"

That's not what I said.

I said the frequency and quantity of pics he posts of himself on stage is really quite sad, particularly when they're on a break. He could stand to play it a little more cool. Jmo

faith1985 07-01-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrIks from Finland (Post 1256477)
Which songs did he ruin? There is a video of the whole show on youtube. Would be nice to see.

I have to watch the show again to point out specific songs. But basically almost every song where he played the solo. i am not someone who overanalyzes the concerts I go to, but with Shanks, I just could not ignore it. I was turning around during (I think) HAND and the girl behind me could not believe it either. Did he play on Bad Name or BTBMB? It felt way worse than when watching the videos now.

Rdkopper 07-02-2019 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1256488)
I have to watch the show again to point out specific songs. But basically almost every song where he played the solo. i am not someone who overanalyzes the concerts I go to, but with Shanks, I just could not ignore it. I was turning around during (I think) HAND and the girl behind me could not believe it either. Did he play on Bad Name or BTBMB? It felt way worse than when watching the videos now.

Tell us how they were ruined? I'm confused. Can you watch a song or two and post a specific point that was ruined?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

bonjovi90 07-02-2019 12:36 AM

For me, pretty of all of the solos on HAND and ITA I've seen from him on this leg felt really poor. Not close to the original, yet not giving it a really an own spin or fitting the melody either.
Especially on the solos of HAND and Bad Name (though the latter one sounds semi-ok), I'm also missing the attitude when playing them. These solos need to be "attacked" (can't find a better word right now) and not just played off like they're somewhat reminiscent of what they once were.

YOVANAfromPeru 07-02-2019 01:07 AM

Trust me... Nothing is worse than Bobby’s In These Arms solo, lol; however it seems like JBJ doesn’t even care the guitars ‘cause I mean all the solos in general really stink (especially the Phil ones), lol

Rdkopper 07-02-2019 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1256490)
For me, pretty of all of the solos on HAND and ITA I've seen from him on this leg felt really poor. Not close to the original, yet not giving it a really an own spin or fitting the melody either.

Especially on the solos of HAND and Bad Name (though the latter one sounds semi-ok), I'm also missing the attitude when playing them. These solos need to be "attacked" (can't find a better word right now) and not just played off like they're somewhat reminiscent of what they once were.

This is a topic that can go round and round. It's one thing to criticize his playing... He's taking over for one of the greatest guitar players of all time in one of the biggest bands in the world... he didn't write the songs, it's not like he got sheet music, , he hasn't been playing them for 20 to 30 years, and he's learning them all from ear. At the same time he's trying to fill Richie's shoes without being Richie and having somewhat of his own identity...

You might not like his style but to say he's ruining songs is a vast overstatement. That band has other elements ruining songs and I personally don't think Phil's solos are the cause... Always and KTF have been getting rave reviews from fans. And as most fans aren't guitar players, Phil's presence and playing have been heavily embraced.

bonjovi90 07-02-2019 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1256493)
This is a topic that can go round and round. It's one thing to criticize his playing... He's taking over for one of the greatest guitar players of all time in one of the biggest bands in the world... he didn't write the songs, it's not like he got sheet music, , he hasn't been playing them for 20 to 30 years, and he's learning them all from ear. At the same time he's trying to fill Richie's shoes without being Richie and having somewhat of his own identity...

You might not like his style but to say he's ruining songs is a vast overstatement. That band has other elements ruining songs and I personally don't think Phil's solos are the cause... Always and KTF have been getting rave reviews from fans. And as most fans aren't guitar players, Phil's presence and playing have been heavily embraced.

You do realize that I was talking about the solos Shanks plays? I have no problems with Phil X [emoji6]

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Rdkopper 07-02-2019 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1256495)
You do realize that I was talking about the solos Shanks plays? I have no problems with Phil X [emoji6]

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Whoops... I must have missed that part.

faith1985 07-02-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1256490)

Here you go. That is what I think about it as well. Attacked as in your face would be how I would describe them

faith1985 07-02-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1256492)
Trust me... Nothing is worse than Bobby’s In These Arms solo, lol; however it seems like JBJ doesn’t even care the guitars ‘cause I mean all the solos in general really stink (especially the Phil ones), lol

Nope, Shanks is worse. And all of his playing sounds worse live than when watching the videos