Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   THINFS Tour ProShots (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70382)

Captain_jovi 09-05-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1244282)
I know it seems like I'm bashing Shanks again, but it does seem that once he became involved, suddenly the band members became interchangeable on the records and as long as Jon was there, the rest didn't matter. Which to me goes against everything that being a band is. And when you have a band as great as this, why mess with it. As far back as Have a Nice Day they were getting Bobby to play solos in place of Richie (why!?). Is this because Shanks was used to working with solo artists like Melissa Etheridge, etc?

But that's not really factual. The one occurrence of Bobby taking a solo was Wildflower which wasn't a Shanks produced song, that came from the new batch with Rick Parshar. Everything on that album otherwise sounds like Richie. A watered down version of his playing but it's him.

Wildflower is an interesting case. It's possible those 4 songs were rushed to production in order to make the album in time. I've told this anecdote a million times before but there's a radio interview from 2005 where Richie repeatedly refers to the song as Wildfire, leading me to believe he wasn't too involved in that one from the get go. His memory isn't the best so you chalk that up to a mistake or it just tells you how much he knows about the song.

I think you're right, working with Shanks introduced them to a new way of recording that's faster and less integral to the band being there for the whole process. To me it's Richie soloing and playing most of the lead parts on all of WAN. Pictures of You and Room at the end of the world scream Shanks's style of playing and tone. The Because We Can solo note selection is pure Sambora, ditto the end riff on Beautiful World. (Pure post 2010 Sambora I should say).

Thinny 09-05-2018 05:04 PM

Cheers for the info, I haven't ever realised (or I forgot) that Wildflower wasn't one of the Shanks songs! I'm not sure that the Because We Can solo is Sambora, feels more like somebody trying to be a latter day Sambora to me, it seems to be lacking a certain flair that even Richie's simple solos have, but that could just be the sterile production, I suppose. Who knows..

Bounce7800 09-05-2018 05:48 PM

The BWC solo is the worst guitar solo committed to record. An embarrassment for someone of Richie's ability.

bonjovi90 09-05-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1244285)
The BWC solo is the worst guitar solo committed to record. An embarrassment for someone of Richie's ability.

That also showed in his disgusted face every time they played that song:D

bonjovi90 09-05-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1244283)
Wildflower is an interesting case. It's possible those 4 songs were rushed to production in order to make the album in time. I've told this anecdote a million times before but there's a radio interview from 2005 where Richie repeatedly refers to the song as Wildfire, leading me to believe he wasn't too involved in that one from the get go. His memory isn't the best so you chalk that up to a mistake or it just tells you how much he knows about the song.

A similar anecdote is from the 2013-promo era. He was asked what was his favourite song off WAN and he was clearly caught off guard by it and then answered with Because We Can. Which he, judging by his "enthusiasm" in live performance, hated. But that shows how little he was connected to the stuff on that album.

Eveline 09-05-2018 06:59 PM

BJ died once it turned out to be something lacking soul for whatever reason and you can tell when it became mechanical. Can't blame Richie for leaving and can only hope Jon has changed his attitude.

Captain_jovi 09-05-2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1244284)
Cheers for the info, I haven't ever realised (or I forgot) that Wildflower wasn't one of the Shanks songs! I'm not sure that the Because We Can solo is Sambora, feels more like somebody trying to be a latter day Sambora to me, it seems to be lacking a certain flair that even Richie's simple solos have, but that could just be the sterile production, I suppose. Who knows..

Fair enough. Based on the article he was involved with that song specifically from the demo stage onward and the pinch harmonic and the repeating of the lick ala Captain Crash is just Richie and I have to believe the song was always intended to be the lead off single. For Richie not to be involved in the lead off single solo wise would be a bonkers move.

Thinny 09-05-2018 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1244290)
Fair enough. Based on the article he was involved with that song specifically from the demo stage onward and the pinch harmonic and the repeating of the lick ala Captain Crash is just Richie and I have to believe the song was always intended to be the lead off single. For Richie not to be involved in the lead off single solo wise would be a bonkers move.

You're probably right. But by that point I honestly don't think they cared...and the writing was probably already on the wall for Jon/Richie...

YOVANAfromPeru 09-06-2018 08:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbrI...=youtu.be&t=75

I also wish JBJ could remember his own words: "You can't polish garbage and make it shine." -_-

liljovi93 09-06-2018 09:33 PM

https://youtu.be/u6YSI-cJBeo

Bad Medicine.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk