Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Top Tour so far this year (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55872)

SexxAtraxxion 07-13-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1146218)
Nonsense. The Circle Tour (2010-11) grossed 343 million (Wikipedia), bigger than Bruce obviously. If you want to be ignorant and say "well that was 2 different tours", then you should know that Wrecking Ball is a 2 year tour, so it only makes sense to compare if you combine 2010+2011 for Jovi.

I'm a Bruce fan too, don't get me wrong, I'm just really sick of you choosing to use the numbers that comfort your thoughts and arguments rather than provide facts.

Two Jovi tours together grossed 343 million, but Jon played 33 more shows.

Bruce's Wrecking Ball tour is still going on, there are few more shows in this month so he'll gross 325 million at least. Imagine if he played another 33 shows.. he would make more money than The Circle Tour and the Bon Jovi Live Tour together.

Walleris 07-13-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewey1961 (Post 1146289)
MetallicA not as big as Jovi,someone having a laugh here,you try getting a Jovi ticket,dead easy,even Diamond circle,MetallicA,no chance.When did Jovi last sell out the Stade de France,did they even fill Bercy .. ? Just one example .. Plus they don't charge the stupid prices that Jon charges and yes that we are even stupider to pay.

Really? I had no idea you can judge and compare how big are certain artists based on 1 country :rolleyes: Especially when that one country is the exception for Jovi in terms of popularity in Europe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 1146303)
Two Jovi tours together grossed 343 million, but Jon played 33 more shows.

Bruce's Wrecking Ball tour is still going on, there are few more shows in this month so he'll gross 325 million at least. Imagine if he played another 33 shows.. he would make more money than The Circle Tour and the Bon Jovi Live Tour together.

Once again, enough with his "two tours" nonsence. If the record label had also forced Bruce to release a GH compilation in the middle of the tour and he would've had no choice but to change the name of the tour, he'd also officially had 2 tours instead of 1. This is an equal tour vs. tour comparison, end of story.

Secondly, usually a band/artist does shows in places where they are demanded. Especially on such massive tours as Wrecking Ball and The Circle/Jovi live, they usually try visiting every place possible. So maybe more shows on a tour just means that the demand was bigger, don't you think? You can say "well, if Bruce had done more shows, then for sure...", who says Jovi couldn't have done the same and had even more shows with more revenue? Not every market is as oversaturated as Europe or US.

ticos_stick 07-13-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1146315)
Secondly, usually a band/artist does shows in places where they are demanded. .

Lets not fool ourselves into thinking there was much demand for Bon Jovi shows on this tour. Apart from American arenas I can't think of many places that sold particularly well. Bruce has toured for two years and can still sell out two huge London dates within the space of a few weeks. That's demand.

I think we should all wait until full tour figures come out to start comparing too much though.

Supersonic 07-13-2013 10:20 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1146224)
Cause when you really thinkg about it, it was the record label's influence to have a different name for 2011,

No it wasn't. That's the story Jon wants you to believe, but if Jon had pushed the issue he'd have been able to postpone the Greatest Hits record. All this nonsense about promising a Greatest Hits to the record company is exactly that; nonsense. Sure, a record company likes Greatest Hits records more than studio albums, especially with the one from Bon Jovi that was long overdue and had been promised several times before, but if Jon had wanted to he could've had the album released after the tour and bill the 2011 tour The Circle tour. A record company doesn't have much influence over an actual world tour.

Jon knew beforehand though that there's no way he'd have been able to sell as many tickets or promote it the way he did without a Greatest Hits to promote the tour, especially considering how poorly The Circle was received in Europe with it being the first Bon Jovi record that actually really tanked compared to albums before. A band doesn't need to change the name of a tour just because a Greatest Hits was released, but the 2011 performances were billed that way just so people knew Greatest Hits and more would get played.

In the end though, Bon Jovi fans seem to be brainwashed by the Bon Jovi number 1 tour propaganda nonsense. Bruce, among other artists, don't have the ridiculous VIP Diamond Circle packages. It'd be a lot more interesting to see who played for the most people in every area. Considering how Bruce did 3 in Italy while Bon Jovi couldn't sell out San Siro and Bruce did 9 shows in Scandinavia where Bon Jovi could barely do 4 in much smaller venues I'd say all this number 1 tour isn't showing who's the biggest act out there anymore. It's merely the one who's best at milking money out of their fanbase in the best way possible.

The only way Bon Jovi would be able to do more shows in Europe would be if they'd actually lower their fee, which would in return would mean a lower profit and numbers closer to the ones from Bruce. And even then I don't think Bon Jovi are actually capable of doing 9 shows in Scandinavia. This tour has been a cluster**** saleswise, and Jon knows it all too well.

Also, I think you're seriously underestimating Metallica's popularity in Europe. The difference is that they actually play the venues they can sell out, hence them playing stadiums with a capacity of 30.000 peope and not needing to rely on Groupon deals and the likes. Bon Jovi sells the same amount of tickets per show, yet plays in venues holding 50.000 people, thus not selling out any show at all anymore. Sure, they make more money, but the atmosphere at a Metallica show is very much like the atmosphere at a Bon Jovi show 10 years ago, when Bon Jovi did the same.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

milomom 07-13-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1146318)
Lets not fool ourselves into thinking there was much demand for Bon Jovi shows on this tour. Apart from American arenas I can't think of many places that sold particularly well. Bruce has toured for two years and can still sell out two huge London dates within the space of a few weeks. That's demand.

I think we should all wait until full tour figures come out to start comparing too much though.

The difference is that Bruce hasn't played any U.S. dates this year. He did 9 shows in Australia (Jovi has 6 on the schedule), and will have played 33 in Europe when that leg is over (Jovi only did 25). Trust me, he could play the U.S. this year if he wants to. Ticketmaster doesn't crash when Jovi tix go on sale, but you can count on it when Bruce's do.

ticos_stick 07-13-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1146320)
Aloha !

No it wasn't. That's the story Jon wants you to believe, but if Jon had pushed the issue he'd have been able to postpone the Greatest Hits record. All this nonsense about promising a Greatest Hits to the record company is exactly that; nonsense. Sure, a record company likes Greatest Hits records more than studio albums, especially with the one from Bon Jovi that was long overdue and had been promised several times before, but if Jon had wanted to he could've had the album released after the tour and bill the 2011 tour The Circle tour. A record company doesn't have much influence over an actual world tour.

Jon knew beforehand though that there's no way he'd have been able to sell as many tickets or promote it the way he did without a Greatest Hits to promote the tour, especially considering how poorly The Circle was received in Europe with it being the first Bon Jovi record that actually really tanked compared to albums before. A band doesn't need to change the name of a tour just because a Greatest Hits was released, but the 2011 performances were billed that way just so people knew Greatest Hits and more would get played.

In the end though, Bon Jovi fans seem to be brainwashed by the Bon Jovi number 1 tour propaganda nonsense. Bruce, among other artists, don't have the ridiculous VIP Diamond Circle packages. It'd be a lot more interesting to see who played for the most people in every area. Considering how Bruce did 3 in Italy while Bon Jovi couldn't sell out San Siro and Bruce did 9 shows in Scandinavia where Bon Jovi could barely do 4 in much smaller venues I'd say all this number 1 tour isn't showing who's the biggest act out there anymore. It's merely the one who's best at milking money out of their fanbase in the best way possible.

The only way Bon Jovi would be able to do more shows in Europe would be if they'd actually lower their fee, which would in return would mean a lower profit and numbers closer to the ones from Bruce. And even then I don't think Bon Jovi are actually capable of doing 9 shows in Scandinavia. This tour has been a cluster**** saleswise, and Jon knows it all too well.

Also, I think you're seriously underestimating Metallica's popularity in Europe. The difference is that they actually play the venues they can sell out, hence them playing stadiums with a capacity of 30.000 peope and not needing to rely on Groupon deals and the likes. Bon Jovi sells the same amount of tickets per show, yet plays in venues holding 50.000 people, thus not selling out any show at all anymore. Sure, they make more money, but the atmosphere at a Metallica show is very much like the atmosphere at a Bon Jovi show 10 years ago, when Bon Jovi did the same.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Splendid post. Pretty much sums up the whole situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 1146321)
The difference is that Bruce hasn't played any U.S. dates this year. He did 9 shows in Australia (Jovi has 6 on the schedule), and will have played 33 in Europe when that leg is over (Jovi only did 25). Trust me, he could play the U.S. this year if he wants to. Ticketmaster doesn't crash when Jovi tix go on sale, but you can count on it when Bruce's do.

Yeah, I've seen quite a bit of upset on Bruce forums that he's not playing the US on this leg. I think he's got to the stage where he wants to play places he hasn't before. He's finishing off the tour playing random small cities in England & Ireland.

TheBoss 07-13-2013 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think it's close enough...

Bon Jovi

Concerts: 60
North America: 36
South Africa: 2
Europe: 22

Total = 1,486,726 tickets sold
North America and Africa = 657,318 tickets sold

Europe = 829,408 Tickets sold
Total Gross 74.0 million > 22 concerts
Average Price = 89,2 USD
Average crowd per concert = 37,700

Bruce Springsteen

Concerts: 31
Australia: 10
Europe: 21

Total = 969,504 Tickets sold
Australia = 153,144 Tickets sold

Europe = 816,360 Tickets sold
78.6 million > 21 concerts
Average Price = 96,2 USD
Average crowd per concert = 38,874

-d21336e6285d5c69.JPG

jovigirloz 07-14-2013 12:15 AM

Bruce sold out his shows in Australia and everyone I spoke to who went said it was one of the best concerts they had been to.

I hate the highest grossing comparison stuff. $ and more shows doesn't always equal quality.

Kiwi78 07-14-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovigirloz (Post 1146352)
Bruce sold out his shows in Australia and everyone I spoke to who went said it was one of the best concerts they had been to.

I hate the highest grossing comparison stuff. $ and more shows doesn't always equal quality.

Yes, me included. I came over for Melb's leg and it was the best thing I've ever seen/done/experienced.

And if I'm honest it was really hard not to sit there afterwards and compare it to what Jon does. But honestly, they are two very different people. I'm more than happy for them to co-exist in the same world and enjoy both acts.

The Rock 07-14-2013 02:27 AM

I don't need to go to a Bruce website, I learn everything about him on this forum!

A positive article about the band, can we enjoy? of course not, here comes the comparisons.