Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Phil X (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55719)

Captain_jovi 06-06-2019 03:19 AM

Yup. He's a PROFESSIONAL. Doing whatever he can to get fired, putting a black X on his otherwise pretty decent career thus far, he wouldn't jeopardize all of that because he's not happy with the level of input. He knew from day 1 he was covering for someone else and if anything he's been given more input than he started out with. Not enough to make major changes but that's always been the problem. A tight small box that doesn't go very far.

DestinationJovi 06-06-2019 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1254018)
The comparisons with Phil and Richie end at the fact that they're both guitarists.

Richie left because he was tired of touring after 30+ years, had little creative input anymore and had substance abuse issues. He also had vast amounts of money to retire with and still do his solo work.

Phil is and always has been a hired hand. His job is to play guitar in a huge band and get paid handsomely to do so. Why would he ever jeopardise that? He won the lottery ffs.

I don't believe for a second that he's trying to get fired, but he has been boldly vocal about what he'd much rather be doing with his time as well as how much he absolutely hates being away from his wife and children. He has also essentially said that he is playing with Bon Jovi strictly for the paycheck. I don't think there's much beyond what it does for his bank account that he actually enjoys.

Aside from that, I don't understand why he has become the band's mouthpiece on social media. Why is the newest guy doing Twitter Q&A's about Bon Jovi. Even fanboy John Shanks doesn't do that, and he'd have a lot more insight to provide than Phil. Hell, Everett has an even longer history with the band than Shanks, yet you don't see him showboating on Twitter like Phil does. It really bugs me.

Thierry 06-06-2019 05:45 AM

Would be interesting to see what Phil's reaction to this is. Is there anybody here on Twitter that like to confront him with this?

Eveline 06-06-2019 10:09 AM

You guys seriously think that just because Phil X isn't a living legend but a hired gun, it means he will be happy with being a fill-in and will do it forever? You live only once and the older you get, the more you want to enjoy what's left of your life. Phil is making money and expanding his fandom being that funny guy who's close to his fans and actually interacts with them. People dig it more than just worshipping an idol who bothers to tweet them once in a blue moon. I certainly do. And I certainly can see him walk away once he realizes cons outweigh the pros. He's grateful for his chance to shine in the many arenas and stadiums around the world but he's not a slave. And he knows he's good, too good to be JUST someone else's replacement. He's already been in the band for years but something changed in the last several months and it's not only my observation. It's not a conspiracy theory. I have eyes. And I appreciate some of you are actually able to have a civil discussion without jumping on me that I try to spread rumours that Phil is not happy in the band. After all, it's a discussion board ffs, isn't it?

Thinny 06-06-2019 10:33 AM

It makes no sense that he would try and get fired, as Cap said something like that would smear his name. He's not about to do that, in my opinion. If he was unhappy, he'd just quit. However, I agree with others that the paycheck is just too good. There is no way he'd get another gig with that kind of pay. I think that maybe he's riding it out until he's made enough to be very comfortable for the rest of his life and then the may move on....

Eveline 06-06-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1254034)
It makes no sense that he would try and get fired, as Cap said something like that would smear his name. He's not about to do that, in my opinion. If he was unhappy, he'd just quit. However, I agree with others that the paycheck is just too good. There is no way he'd get another gig with that kind of pay. I think that maybe he's riding it out until he's made enough to be very comfortable for the rest of his life and then the may move on....

It was a joke. Phil doesn't want to get fired, we just joked he's acting as if he did. The thing is, he became incredibly bold speaking about BJ. It means he feels very secure. If/when he's had enough, he'll leave on his own terms. Trying to confront him doesn't make sense. He'll say he's happy and grateful just as he said when talking about RHOF. It's enough to read between the lines in his other tweets and get a bigger picture. The guy's very honest and I must say its kinda refreshing. Richie's playing isn't his cup of tea, I've read somewhere he said he was a BJ fan but was it about the older, heavier, more rock style? Need to revisit those old videos on youtube you all were talking about unless they've been taken down. It's all about money and it's fair enough. Just the way Phil's acting on social media makes you wonder sometimes..

Captain_jovi 06-06-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eveline (Post 1254030)
You guys seriously think that just because Phil X isn't a living legend but a hired gun, it means he will be happy with being a fill-in and will do it forever? You live only once and the older you get, the more you want to enjoy what's left of your life. Phil is making money and expanding his fandom being that funny guy who's close to his fans and actually interacts with them. People dig it more than just worshipping an idol who bothers to tweet them once in a blue moon. I certainly do. And I certainly can see him walk away once he realizes cons outweigh the pros. He's grateful for his chance to shine in the many arenas and stadiums around the world but he's not a slave. And he knows he's good, too good to be JUST someone else's replacement. He's already been in the band for years but something changed in the last several months and it's not only my observation. It's not a conspiracy theory. I have eyes. And I appreciate some of you are actually able to have a civil discussion without jumping on me that I try to spread rumours that Phil is not happy in the band. After all, it's a discussion board ffs, isn't it?

People jumped on you because you made a very bold statement and didn't clarify if it was something your friend heard or something your friend thinks.

Phil is answering questions about Bon Jovi because lets be honest, that's what 90 percent of the people are asking about. Christ, we have a band member actually using social media to interact with fans versus the official channels staying silent when they really could be rebuilding the fanbase.

PanosBonJovi 06-06-2019 08:06 PM

There was a moderate interaction during 2013 where they nicely promoted Because We Can Tour and the single through social media. Twitter Q&A and more but that's it.

For some reason it stopped.

Also Richie was radio silent on his Twitter up until now.

Anyway, @BonJovi90 definitely Matt & Phil would be a great pair. Anyone apart Shanks would be a great duo with Phil. Shanks has no place up on that stage nor playing. I still believe that Shanks was also one of the reasons leading Richie to the exit door. One might also be Bobby as you'd think, why would the band need a second guitarist but yet again probably Bobby was there to cover for Jon's voice getting weaker.

Sambora didn't like where the band was going in recent years and that also had to do with Shanks work and being around the band, even if everything had to be approved by Jon in the end of the day.

And no, Jovi90, you can't get the vibe/feel of a song that you didn't play or you didn't like. You need to be a fan in order to feel the song. I still remember that Phil wasn't Jovi's biggest fan and publicly slammed them on some old YT videos as well. Tribute bands is a whole other story as they are actually die hard fans or at least fans of the band and they feel every line they perform to their bones as they were the band themselves.

Captain_jovi 06-06-2019 08:33 PM

Bobby was brought on after the first tour that heavily featured pre-recorded guitar samples on the newer songs, something I remember reading David wasn't happy about (using guitar loops) along with Jeff. I think Jon wants/wanted an E-street band vibe but two keyboardists felt like overkill. Vocally it was a great sound.

Jeeper 06-06-2019 09:44 PM

Phil would be crazy to want to leave this cash cow or to want to get himself fired.

He will know that the touring schedule will continue to lessen and his commitment to the band will not stop him pursuing his real love, The Drills.

No problem with that. And nobody should be surprised when after the band call it a day, his true thoughts on his Jovi experience come out. It will make grim reading in places, I’ve no doubt.

DestinationJovi 06-06-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1254073)
Christ, we have a band member actually using social media to interact with fans versus the official channels staying silent when they really could be rebuilding the fanbase.

Yes, thank god we have a band member actually using social media to tell fans things like none of Richie's guitar parts or solos are difficult and that the THINFS is a rock album, not f*cking disco. Cool guy. :cool:

Captain_jovi 06-07-2019 03:50 PM

You must really hate the guy to cherry pick examples to fit your point.

He's been the first guy to tweet about what areas they may or may not tour, post backstage videos (something the band organization literally makes you pay for), be pretty blunt and honest about how he feels (Heaven forbid it goes against the fan's opinions) and is actually responding to fans when he can. Sometimes he's cranky and brash and doesn't need to be but I'll take that all day any day over static from the band. Phil tweets about the band not rocking enough, people complain, he tweets he thinks the last album was a rock album, people complain. If he gives his take people complain, if he says what Jon's saying people think he's saying what Jon wants him to say.

I mean he's not wrong about Richie's parts being difficult. On the records at least ESPECIALLY post 2000 it's always been more about feel rather than speed, and that's totally where Phil is missing the point.

DestinationJovi 06-07-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1254134)
You must really hate the guy to cherry pick examples to fit your point.

He's been the first guy to tweet about what areas they may or may not tour, post backstage videos (something the band organization literally makes you pay for), be pretty blunt and honest about how he feels (Heaven forbid it goes against the fan's opinions) and is actually responding to fans when he can. Sometimes he's cranky and brash and doesn't need to be but I'll take that all day any day over static from the band. Phil tweets about the band not rocking enough, people complain, he tweets he thinks the last album was a rock album, people complain. If he gives his take people complain, if he says what Jon's saying people think he's saying what Jon wants him to say.

I mean he's not wrong about Richie's parts being difficult. On the records at least ESPECIALLY post 2000 it's always been more about feel rather than speed, and that's totally where Phil is missing the point.

I'm not cherry picking a damn thing. There are loads more of the same type of dick replies but I can't be bothered to go through his twitter feed to get more examples for you. Those were just two that came to mind immediately.

Tweeting areas they may or may not tour is valuable information?? Lol okay.

And please post the links to his backstage videos that BJM charges a fee for. I guess I've missed those somehow. Thanks.

Chris_Newton 06-08-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eveline (Post 1253934)
I talked to a friend about Phil and she told me he's doing everything to be fired... like he's sick and tired of his role and would rather be set free. Can't see his heart being in the band, he clearly has made enough money and got famous enough to get his thing going full steam. Tried to listen to his stuff but sorry, still don't dig it.

No offence to you but this is the biggest load of crap I have read on here.. And that's coming up against some pritty stiff opposition!

Makes no sense he would want to get fired. If he is not happy he would just walk.. He is not being held at gunpoint to play.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 06-08-2019 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestinationJovi (Post 1254145)
I'm not cherry picking a damn thing. There are loads more of the same type of dick replies but I can't be bothered to go through his twitter feed to get more examples for you. Those were just two that came to mind immediately.

Tweeting areas they may or may not tour is valuable information?? Lol okay.

And please post the links to his backstage videos that BJM charges a fee for. I guess I've missed those somehow. Thanks.

Fair enough, we're not going to see eye to eye. I meant more how Backstage charges/used to charged for extra content. I'm coming from a place of following the guy pre his involvement in the band and I haven't noticed the change and others have. I'm cool agreeing to disagree, sorry.

TheOriginalJez 06-08-2019 06:28 PM

Ya know guys, Phil existed before Bon Jovi. He made his popularity (and in a round about way got the Bon Jovi gig) THROUGH social media with youtube vids and twitter. His q&as used to be all guitar geeks who found him through Fretted Americana vids and now they're mostly Bon Jovi fans - I seriously doubt he does them to be a Bon Jovi mouthpiece, he's just always done that sort of thing. He's also the worlds biggest advocate of appreciating that you get to play guitar for a living, I believe him when he says he enjoys the shows, there's at least a few songs he'd rather not do maybe but you think that's not also true of Dave or Tico?

Captain_jovi 06-08-2019 07:10 PM

Completely agree. I remember the way he'd respond to comments on the Fretted Americana videos. Same tone he's always used. He's just the first guy to come out and say he doesn't care for Amen. He has no connection to it. Richie doesn't like Runaway. He has no connection to it. People have opinions.

Javier 06-08-2019 09:27 PM

Aaahhh Jovitalk. I've missed the loads of soap opera style fan fiction. :D

DestinationJovi 06-09-2019 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1254178)
Fair enough, we're not going to see eye to eye. I meant more how Backstage charges/used to charged for extra content. I'm coming from a place of following the guy pre his involvement in the band and I haven't noticed the change and others have. I'm cool agreeing to disagree, sorry.

He filled in for Richie at the show I went to in 2011 and I have followed him on Twitter ever since. I have seen a big change in his attitude recently but if you haven't, then you haven't. No worries. We can agree to disagree.

angelsambo 06-15-2019 03:26 AM

he looks so happy here

https://scontent.fath6-1.fna.fbcdn.n...40&oe=5D89F416

angelsambo 06-15-2019 02:22 PM

Phil X & The Drills I Want My Money Back official video

Javier 07-06-2019 09:02 AM

Hey he answered my request about the born again tomorrow solo!! And back in November Stallone liked my comment about being in line to see Creed 2 and answered "enjoy". I'm such a celebrity :-) ....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzivRkDg...=1po1immkbe3qg

Captain_jovi 07-06-2019 07:01 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNYwTPYWsAESHid.jpg:large

Anyone know if he's still never touched a Fender since 2015 with the band? I think it's been mostly Surh style Strats but I feel like I've seen him with a Fender Tele since then.

bjcrazycpa 07-06-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1256693)
Hey he answered my request about the born again tomorrow solo!! And back in November Stallone liked my comment about being in line to see Creed 2 and answered "enjoy". I'm such a celebrity :-) ....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzivRkDg...=1po1immkbe3qg

I saw this and didn’t realize you were the fan that requested it! Very cool!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DestinationJovi 07-07-2019 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1256708)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNYwTPYWsAESHid.jpg:large

Anyone know if he's still never touched a Fender since 2015 with the band? I think it's been mostly Surh style Strats but I feel like I've seen him with a Fender Tele since then.

https://twitter.com/TheRealPhilX/sta...55131292569600

Eveline 07-28-2019 10:47 AM

A new interview with Phil X he did while the band was playing in Poland. It's in Polish, I know, and way too long for me to translate *I'm lazy, sorry* but the Google translator is quite good these days. He talks BJ & "living a dream", Richie, his own band, passion for music, his family, etc. A very honest chat as usual.

http://wyspa.fm/news/169112/phil-x-bon-jovi

YOVANAfromPeru 07-28-2019 04:01 PM

Thanks for posting this interview, I found interesting when Phil X says that the band is called Bon Jovi because JBJ (Richie said so that before) and that he is to support JBJ (Shanks said so that before)...
So to me, the only responsible of “the band’s current situation” has to be JBJ...
I only hope that the new album has A LOT of rock songs... and “in the meantime” I wanna see what Richie can bring as a solo artist this time.

Eveline 07-28-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1257884)
Thanks for posting this interview, I found interesting when Phil X says that the band is called Bon Jovi because JBJ (Richie said so that before) and that he is to support JBJ (Shanks said so that before)...
So to me, the only responsible of “the band’s current situation” has to be JBJ...
I only hope that the new album has A LOT of rock songs... and “in the meantime” I wanna see what Richie can bring as a solo artist this time.

yw :) Well, I hope so too. Can't wait to listen to Richie's stuff as his solo albums differ so much so expect unexpected :D And yeah, JBJ is the one who dictates the direction the band is going. Not that it's breaking news or something...

angelsambo 10-02-2019 12:14 PM

Phil X On Playing With Attitude – Dan's Vlog: That Pedal Show

angelsambo 11-01-2019 03:07 AM

Phil X & The Drills I Want My Money Back official video

YOVANAfromPeru 11-01-2019 05:47 PM

Nobody cares Phil X!

Butters 11-01-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1259654)
Nobody cares Phil X!

Nobody cares what you have to say but that doesn't stop you from incessantly posting drivel on this site.

YOVANAfromPeru 11-02-2019 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1259681)
Nobody cares what you have to say but that doesn't stop you from incessantly posting drivel on this site.

Say that to Richie Sambora >_< jajaj
I said that ‘cause nobody commented anything, I just don’t like Phil X’s music I said it many times already; I don’t know what is so shocking for you.

Javier 11-02-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1259700)
Say that to Richie Sambora >_< jajaj
I said that ‘cause nobody commented anything, I just don’t like Phil X’s music I said it many times already; I don’t know what is so shocking for you.

That's precisely his point, nobody cares yet you keep posting the same opinion as if somebody did. Get it??

>_< lol jajajaja >_<

Supersonic 11-02-2019 12:54 PM

Aloha !

I've really no idea why the moderators allow Yovana to post on this board still. There's really no one who cares for her rambling. It either derails a topic or it shows she's gone of the track herself with her indecipherable bullshit. Just get rid of it and delete it. The only times her posts gain traction is when people are fed up with her.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

bonjovi90 11-02-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1259735)
Aloha !

I've really no idea why the moderators allow Yovana to post on this board still. There's really no one who cares for her rambling. It either derails a topic or it shows she's gone of the track herself with her indecipherable bullshit. Just get rid of it and delete it. The only times her posts gain traction is when people are fed up with her.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

My bet still is that (at least some) of them hope she'll share all the demo cassette tapes that had been auctioned with us and hence don't take any actions.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 11-02-2019 04:40 PM

Nah the mods are in a place where it doesn't matter what we do. The more we delete and force rules the more we look like bad guy and then that riles up people to push buttons and then ask why we don't moderate. Kind of a losing battle.

Bounce7800 11-02-2019 05:46 PM

The mods are bored of being in the wrong no matter what course of action we take. There's more interesting things in our lives then wading into petty squabbles on the internet.

Kathleen 11-02-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1259746)
The mods are bored of being in the wrong no matter what course of action we take. There's more interesting things in our lives then wading into petty squabbles on the internet.

As an ex mod here I couldn't agree more. I also agree with Seb though, there are many of us that don't even go into a post if we see her name.

YOVANAfromPeru 11-03-2019 12:30 AM

Ahhh again all with their bullshit. At least your bullshit is more fun than I Want My Money Back. Thank You.