Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New 'Queen' Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=36894)

Thomas Anderson 08-20-2006 06:20 PM

New 'Queen' Album

Brian May has announced plans to begin work on the first Queen album since late frontman Freddie Mercury died in 1991. The Bohemian Rhapdosy guitarist recruited Paul Rogers to take over vocal duties for a series of live dates earlier this year (06), and now he wants to record new tracks with drummer Roger Taylor and the former Free singer. He says, "I talked to Paul, and confirmed we will be heading into the studio in October. Now it really looks as if we are on. "(It) will bring us all to a new place. We will take it gently at first, the priority being to feel good, and put ourselves in the mood to create."
18/08/2006 07:52

Link

Not sure what to think of this. Brian and Roger have both written some great songs in the past, that's one of the things I loved about Queen how they all wrote and sometimes Brian and Roger would sing too, but without Freddie I'm not sure. I have the live DVD of the Queen + Paul Rogers tour and I thought it was pretty good (well, the show was, the DVD was crap) and will of course be interested to hear anything new, but am not sure if Paul would be writing with them too, I'd rather hear songs by just Brian and Roger I think.

Yvonne 08-20-2006 06:53 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm i aint sure what to make of it. I think they should just stick to touring.

Queen have some good songs but if they churn out rubbish, i think older Queen fans would have something to say

Alphavictim 08-20-2006 07:07 PM

Actually, I think it's good that they plan on recording something new. It's better than just being a nostalgia-cashmachine.

Cuchulainn 08-20-2006 07:34 PM

iv alwyas had the opinion that half of the queen songs were good and the other half were crap!

and it just6 so happened that the ones i like are the ones writtian by freddy or at least have him somewhere! the brian may stuff i didnt really like!!

i just cant stand crazy little thing called loved!

Yvonne 08-20-2006 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuchulainn

i just cant stand crazy little thing called loved!

lol it aint a good song gotta agree

Thomas Anderson 08-20-2006 08:03 PM

I think that some of the songs Brian and Roger wrote were good;

Brian May - Brighton Rock, Now I'm Here, '39, Tie Your Mother Down, We Will Rock You, Fat Bottomed Girls, Save Me, Flash, Who Wants To Live Forever, Hammer To Fall, I Want It All, Headlong

Roger Taylor - A Kind Of Magic, Radio Ga Ga, I'm In Love With My Car, Breakthru, These Are The Days Of Our Lives

...and Crazy Little Thing Called Love was a Freddier song.

Peter Mc 08-20-2006 09:43 PM

Brian May wrote some of my favourite Queen songs as he tended to write the heavier stuff. What made the songs great though was the combination of his huge heavy guitar sound and Freddie's incredible vocals. Paul Rogers is a decent blues rock singer but is not in the same league as Freddie Mercury no one ever has been or probably ever will be. I always find Paul Roger's voice really dull whereas Freddie just oozed charisma even just with his voice, never mind when you got the visual performance side aswell.

People have touted the awful Robbie Williams as a possible Queen frontman as he's such a "great entertainer" That maybe so (I personally find his antics incredibly annoying and feel a strong urge to punch him in the face whenever I see him onstage) but they forgot the other important element, he can't actually sing. He's a pub singer who got lucky whereas Freddie was a unique talent.

They should not release an album under the Queen moniker as it is not Queen without Freddie just as it would not be Queen if Brian May had died and Freddie had lived.

Sigh! Freddie Mercury is dead while Robbie Williams lives, where's the justice?

Thomas Anderson 08-20-2006 10:49 PM

I think perhaps Robbie would have been a mistake after he was rumoured to be involved with Queen, but I think he is very much under-rated and people pass him over just because his fanbase is mainly young girls. I love his music and think he has a great voice, yes he has an ego on stage but that's just him, doesn't make him a bad person. If you ever see him in interviews and such he is very much down to earth and as normal as anyone else. I think he is a good entertainer, it'd be nice to hear him sing more of Angels than just the odd word, and he should stop experimenting now (the latest single is awful) but I still like his music.

As for Queen, I agree that Paul Rogers voice can be a bit boring, he has enough enthusiasm and energy but his voice is too deep I think. After hearing him sing Somebody To Love from the tribute show I think he could pull it off, though I'm not sure how his voice is now, as that was a while back. I agree about them using the Queen name too, but I don't know what else they could do, if they made a new name it wouldn't seem 'right'.

Rob 08-21-2006 01:17 AM

The show must go on as they say. I think it's a good idea. Obviously they won't be what they were but it will give Queen fans something to look forward to. An album will mean another tour too. Paul Rogers is also in great shape for his age. He looks and sings as though he was 30.

Tashjbj 08-21-2006 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson
I think that some of the songs Brian and Roger wrote were good;

Brian May - I Want It All, Headlong

Roger Taylor - Breakthru, These Are The Days Of Our Lives

...and Crazy Little Thing Called Love was a Freddier song.

You can't state that these were written by individual members as they were written by Queen as a group. Although Queen fans know who came up with what!!

I think this is a bad idea.. Queen died when Freddie did and as John Deacon no longer has anything to do with "Queen" it just isn't Queen. If they want to continue then it shouldn't be under the Queen name. I like Paul Rogers' voice but it would be nice to see him have some influence - not just singing the songs for Roger and Brian.