Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   We don't have an official Queen thread yet (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=48880)

C'monFeet 09-07-2009 08:52 PM

We don't have an official Queen thread yet

And everyone has an opinion of them.

Grew up with them. One of "my" first b(r)ands. I only really got into them after Freddie died (I think I was 12 then), didn't really know them, but just remember innocently feeling it was a sad thing, and now I remember, being disgusted at an early age by the crap the tabloids came out with about him.

Brian May these days seems to be an sanctimonius asshole, which is a shame (pet hate!) that does sometimes overshadow the enjoyment, but you can't deny the band, despite being over the top, had more depth and musical skill than most. Or how much of a part of your life their songs have become.

Will I'm sure think about some songs and why I love them soon enough. Except to say that Queen II is a ****ing masterpiece.

milomom 09-07-2009 09:11 PM

Bohemian Rhapsody. Enough said. :cool:

Goldsausage 09-08-2009 12:46 AM

Who Wants To Live Forever = Masterpiece

Innuendo = Masterpiece

Hell, they have so may of them, I'll stop there.

ALSO, listening The Show Must Go On chokes me up everytime, Freddie sounds so, so ill in that song :( But another masterpiece.

When I was a kid, my dad told me that I was Freddie's ghost :/ Because I was supposed to be born on the day he died, and he told me I'd grow up to learn the piano.

Well, I did take piano lessons years later. But now I've come to accept that my father may have lied to my face about being Freddie's ghost :(

Jim Bon Jovi 09-08-2009 01:54 AM

Strangely enough I put the 3 queen greatest hits cd's onto my ipod tonight.

My one issue with queen is when they are good they're great (under pressure, radio gaga etc... spring to mind)

But when they're bad they're night on unlistenable imo.

Panda 09-08-2009 02:07 AM

I really like queen, but they're an on-off band for me. For a month I'll really love them, listen to them all the time, and then I'll get bored. Then, 6 months later I'll rediscover them.

Favorite songs include:

Innuendo
Under pressure
We are the champions
Seven seas of ryhe
A kind of magic
The show must go on
Bohimeian rhapsody
Headlong
Radio ga ga

I haven't listened to them in a while... Time fir a queen fix...

Captain Walrus 09-08-2009 02:17 AM

I should listen to some more of their studio albums at some point. The only 2 I've heard in full are Night At The Opera (not just about Bohemian Rhapsody ... The Prophet's Song is immense) and the new one with Paul Rodgers, The Cosmos Rocks.

IMO their better stuff was from 1980 onwards, although there's some absolute classics in their 70s material, the songs that I personally like better tend to be from the albums from The Game to Innuendo.

I guess I would have been 5 when Freddie died, I think I remember it vaguely.

Can I do a top 20 Queen/Freddie/Brian songs I wonder? Let's try. In no order:

Bohemian Rhapsody
The Prophet's Song
Another One Bites The Dust
Save Me
Don't Stop Me Now
Somebody To Love
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions
Under Pressure
I Want It All
Innuendo
Breakthru
Who Wants To Live Forever
Hammer To Fall
The Show Must Go On
One Vision
Heaven For Everyone
Living On My Own
No One But You
These Are The Days Of Our Lives

Something like that. Most of them fairly obvious perhaps, but like I said, I've only heard one album in full from the proper lineup

Ferret 09-08-2009 02:46 AM

I don't really like Queen. I never got that whole pompous, overblown style of their music. I can understand why people would like it as they are very good musicians and their music has lots of commercial value, but it just doesn't do it for me. Sheer Heart Attack is alright but A Night At The Opera is bollocks on toast, with one or two good songs, the rest all music hall or opera. Not feeling it.

asok80 09-09-2009 03:31 PM

One of my top favourite bands.
Heard the Sheer heart attack album at a friend's birthday party way back in 75 and fell
in love with it immediately. Unfortunately I missed them when they came to
play in Gothenburg just weeks after I discovered them so it took until -82
before I saw them live. they were brilliant (of course). A new world record is
one of my favourite albums ... along with the 5 first of course, but I must
say I love most of their stuff unconditionally.
oh! and Wembley -85 was just breath-taking. I just sat there in front of the
tv with my mouth ajar.... :-)

Jim Bon Jovi 09-09-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferret (Post 940923)
I don't really like Queen. I never got that whole pompous, overblown style of their music. I can understand why people would like it as they are very good musicians and their music has lots of commercial value, but it just doesn't do it for me. Sheer Heart Attack is alright but A Night At The Opera is bollocks on toast, with one or two good songs, the rest all music hall or opera. Not feeling it.

They're kind of like watered down prog imo.

I think that's what I don't like about them. I pretty much can't stand prog in most cases except Pink Floyd.

Floyd is also pretty much watered down prog but they at least had a message behind their tunes whereas Queen tended to be either OTT whimsical (minus the dragons and wizards of full on prog) or too airy fairy in their tunes.

That wasn't worded very well but I think what I'm trying to say is that there are no Queen tunes (minus under pressure and radio gaga) that really make a statement imo whereas floyd might also be watered down prog but they've always had something to say, a real M.O. about what they were writing.

C'monFeet 09-09-2009 06:06 PM

You Take My Breath Away is just lovely. (And Freddie really was the most charming man)

Watching this you wonder how Paul Rodgers could ever hope to compete. Freddie really was a once in a generation talent.