Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Change from 2021 til Now…. (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70903)

spankymagee 04-15-2022 02:50 AM

Change from 2021 til Now….

Admitted vocal novice….

Help me out here….understanding that the drive-in show was able to be post produced, and things like the iheart media event can be cleaned up as well, the vocal decline of this magnitude does not make sense in such a short period of time. Jon was still playing songs in the same key less than a year ago and sounding basically the same as he had the past few years. What could cause such a dramatic shift?

humm-baby 04-15-2022 04:24 AM

I have the exact same thoughts. Those promo shows got my hopes up that he could still hit those notes.

Falco 04-15-2022 05:15 AM

I think you may have answered your own question, that drive in performance was pure doctored up vocals when they did the final mix. Auto tune, whatever the hell they used. I'm sure Jon sounded just as bad as he does now. Same as the 2018 HOF performance. It was atrocious live, but once they edited the vocals for TV, he sounded great.

Captain_jovi 04-15-2022 05:39 AM

But that doesn't explain the Hampton Wine shows and the live webcasts. To me he sounded rough but not like THIS.

gabriele 04-15-2022 07:26 AM

The post production Means a lot

This Is ktf from this tour in soundboard and postproductedoes It sound so bad? Not at all

https://youtu.be/ZW4umv_0u18

musiccritic101 04-15-2022 07:48 AM

From my perspective Jon did sound pretty terrible during that private show they did in Nashville in October last year, it kinda set the expectation for me that there was not going to be any improvement in Jon's voice during the latest tour.

I also kinda think that the band's 3 week long rehearsals before the tour didn't do any good for Jon's voice, it probably did further damage to Jon's frail vocal cords. Jon probably pushed his voice to the limit during rehearsals because of the pressure of not being onstage in public for the last 2 years.

Honestly nobody will really knows because this is the reality we face, Jon's voice seems to be becoming weaker and weaker by the year.

liljovi93 04-15-2022 07:50 AM

I feel like he's forgot how to act on stage. Whether it's age or not, he doesn't even seem 'cool' anymore. He's always been cringe but a lot of stuff he got away with. It's like he doesn't know how to 'dance', dare I call it dancing, doesn't know where to walk, doesn't know what to do with his arms, I feel like he's lost a lot of his spark.

Vocals are shocking.

I mentioned to someone the other day that at the promo shows, he was stood there, purposely not grabbing the microphone, using little hand signals to conduct himself on what notes to get and working on breathing. He's completely sacked that off now.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Javier 04-15-2022 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1279037)
I feel like he's forgot how to act on stage. Whether it's age or not, he doesn't even seem 'cool' anymore. He's always been cringe but a lot of stuff he got away with. It's like he doesn't know how to 'dance', dare I call it dancing, doesn't know where to walk, doesn't know what to do with his arms, I feel like he's lost a lot of his spark.

Vocals are shocking.

I mentioned to someone the other day that at the promo shows, he was stood there, purposely not grabbing the microphone, using little hand signals to conduct himself on what notes to get and working on breathing. He's completely sacked that off now.

I attribute a lot of that with his growing insecurities since his voice has gone downhill. He flashes that smile, raises the hands up to the audience during a solo or outro on one side of the stage and then another looking like a mime conductor meanwhile his face is like he's thinking what to do and where to go next and "damn I butchered that!". I truly do feel for the guy, but the tickets are getting waaayy too expensive and the decline way too steep!....

liljovi93 04-15-2022 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1279045)
I attribute a lot of that with his growing insecurities since his voice has gone downhill. He flashes that smile, raises the hands up to the audience during a solo or outro on one side of the stage and then another looking like a mime conductor meanwhile his face is like he's thinking what to do and where to go next and "damn I butchered that!". I truly do feel for the guy, but the tickets are getting waaayy too expensive and the decline way too steep!....

Yeah, I've said the same thing. It's sad to see but then it's hard to have sympathy when he a) doesn't stop and b) charges ridiculous amounts.

efpg0708 04-15-2022 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1279046)
Yeah, I've said the same thing. It's sad to see but then it's hard to have sympathy when he a) doesn't stop and b) charges ridiculous amounts.

My point exactly. I feel bad for him, and then I remember he’s milking the fans for every last penny charging absurd prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blazeofglory 04-15-2022 09:25 PM

I think I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here for a second, but I do wonder if the high ticket prices are even due to Jon wanting to make more money for himself or to make more money for the crew etc. and if he even chooses the ticket prices himself.

I'm wondering about this because based on some figures I found from the US shows on the last tour this tour right now is probably gonna gross $22-23 million in total. And as crazy as that sounds to say that's only like 5% of Jon's net worth and he doesn't even get to keep it all for himself. It's like when you have $100 and you earn $5, except you have to split them with a band that's big enough to be considered an orchestra at this point, your manager, your crew, etc.

Of course you could say the rich just wanna get even richer, but given how much he's struggling with live performances these days it doesn't seem like a particularly lucrative investment to spend a month exhausting yourself physically and mentally just to earn such a "small" amount of money compared to what you already have, if money is your (main) motivation for doing it.

The ticket prices are obviously ridiculous (and maybe even more so from a European perspective since I've never had to pay that much money for a concert in my life), but that does - at least in part - seem more like a general problem in the US than just a Bon Jovi specific one.

bonjovi90 04-15-2022 09:30 PM

I'd get that thought if it was a full blown tour, but getting gear and crew ready for just 15 shows isn't getting them much steady profit either.

Gesendet von meinem X30 mit Tapatalk

blazeofglory 04-15-2022 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1279051)
I'd get that thought if it was a full blown tour, but getting gear and crew ready for just 15 shows isn't getting them much steady profit either.

That's true, but after not being able to work properly for two years that profit - even if it's not overly big - is probably making way more of a significant difference in the crew members' bank accounts than it does in Jon's.

Captmorgs 04-15-2022 09:53 PM

Ticketmaster and other ticket brokers fluctuate the ticket prices based on what the market will bear. No one is forced to buy tickets. Jon isn’t setting the ticket prices and “milking fans for every last penny.” Good grief people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 04-15-2022 10:35 PM

Be careful what you wish for.

Captain_jovi 04-15-2022 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1279051)

So I have a theory and some....."guesses" I guess that this run of show wasn't supposed to happen. Nothing about it makes sense. With the amount of shows, they ain't making much. They're promoting an album that came out two years ago, the state of Jon's voice.

Nothing about it makes sense.

Javier 04-16-2022 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1279055)
So I have a theory and some....."guesses" I guess that this run of show wasn't supposed to happen. Nothing about it makes sense. With the amount of shows, they ain't making much. They're promoting an album that came out two years ago, the state of Jon's voice.

Nothing about it makes sense.

It does if you think about it in a non financial way. I doubt they're loosing money, but they're not making that much either. Sometimes while we're criticizing Jon's voice and what not we forget that the dude is still an artist, and he's still has artistic itch to present the songs he worked so hard on to a live audience and test them. He's been writing, I guess they might start recording before the end of the year or early next year so this is his chance to play these songs live. He's spoken about how releasing 2020 was like putting the album out into a black hole. He may be a smart business man but he's allowed to let the artist in him out, especially at this stage in his career....

Javier 04-16-2022 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazeofglory (Post 1279050)
I think I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here for a second, but I do wonder if the high ticket prices are even due to Jon wanting to make more money for himself or to make more money for the crew etc. and if he even chooses the ticket prices himself.

I'm wondering about this because based on some figures I found from the US shows on the last tour this tour right now is probably gonna gross $22-23 million in total. And as crazy as that sounds to say that's only like 5% of Jon's net worth and he doesn't even get to keep it all for himself. It's like when you have $100 and you earn $5, except you have to split them with a band that's big enough to be considered an orchestra at this point, your manager, your crew, etc.

Of course you could say the rich just wanna get even richer, but given how much he's struggling with live performances these days it doesn't seem like a particularly lucrative investment to spend a month exhausting yourself physically and mentally just to earn such a "small" amount of money compared to what you already have, if money is your (main) motivation for doing it.

The ticket prices are obviously ridiculous (and maybe even more so from a European perspective since I've never had to pay that much money for a concert in my life), but that does - at least in part - seem more like a general problem in the US than just a Bon Jovi specific one.

Oh I'm with you, I've never blamed the ticket prices solely on the acts, it's a mixture of a lot of different things within the organization and the outside contracts with live Nation, ticketmaster, venues and so on. But we as fans and consumers decide whether what's being offered is worth it for the prices its being offered. That answer differs depending on the person but for me it's Jon's current vocal state that's the deal breaker, what he's charging is not concurrent with what he's able to deliver as sad as that is for me to say.

bonjovi90 04-16-2022 12:16 AM

My two theories about it:
1. This simply is a planned extention of the three-week rehearsal. God knows how the recording sessions for the Drive-In and the 2020 concerts went and how much they had to rework or do multiple takes. All we know is how he was at the end of the 2019 and the start of the 2022 tour. Maybe he simply said he had to try if they could continue with downtuned material and his voice in the state that it is in.
2. Could it be some contractual obligation? Like Burning Bridges with the record company was? No idea what deal they had signed after the 2014/15 turmoil, but maybe they're obliged to play a certain amount of shows at minimum for the cancelled tour with Bryan Adams.

Thinny 04-16-2022 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captmorgs (Post 1279053)
Ticketmaster and other ticket brokers fluctuate the ticket prices based on what the market will bear. No one is forced to buy tickets. Jon isn’t setting the ticket prices and “milking fans for every last penny.” Good grief people.

The base ticket prices are decided on by the promoter, not the ticket agent. The ticket agent will add their fees on top of this. The management (and therefore the band) of course do have a say on those base ticket prices before they go on sale. The band and their management absolutely can decide how much they charge for VIP tickets.

Ticketmaster does not decide on the prices ever, aside from their own additional fees. base ticket prices are set before the show is announced. The only prices that fluctuate are the resell value, which has nothing to do with the band, management or promoter. Or if tickets are left unsold near to the time of the show, in which case they will be reduced, or offered as 2 for 1's etc - again, this would be a promoter decision rather than a ticketmaster decision.

Thinny 04-16-2022 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1279060)
2. Could it be some contractual obligation? Like Burning Bridges with the record company was? No idea what deal they had signed after the 2014/15 turmoil, but maybe they're obliged to play a certain amount of shows at minimum for the cancelled tour with Bryan Adams.

The record company will have nothing to do with shows, especially now that CDs are not sold with tickets. And it would be very unusual for any band to have a kind of contract with a promoter that forces them to do shows. Jon and his management are too smart to have a contract like that. So I'd be suprised if that's it.

How much money has Bon Jovi the company earned in the last couple of years? not much, same as most of the entertainment industry. But they still have outgoings that need paying, rentals on equitment storage, wages, tax bills etc etc etc. It all adds up! Maybe it's simply a case of they had to do these shows in order to keep things ticking along financially for Bon Jovi the company, rather than to make Jon a shit load of money....

DestinationJovi 04-16-2022 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1279061)
The base ticket prices are decided on by the promoter, not the ticket agent. The ticket agent will add their fees on top of this. The management (and therefore the band) of course do have a say on those base ticket prices before they go on sale. The band and their management absolutely can decide how much they charge for VIP tickets.

Ticketmaster does not decide on the prices ever, aside from their own additional fees. base ticket prices are set before the show is announced. The only prices that fluctuate are the resell value, which has nothing to do with the band, management or promoter. Or if tickets are left unsold near to the time of the show, in which case they will be reduced, or offered as 2 for 1's etc - again, this would be a promoter decision rather than a ticketmaster decision.

I think he's referring to Ticketmaster's "dynamic pricing," which fluctuates the prices based on supply and demand. You'll know when the prices have fluctuated because you get a pop up stating they're utilizing dynamic pricing before they show you available tickets for a show. But artists can opt out of it. And every time I've checked Bon Jovi tickets this tour, I've never seen the dynamic pricing pop up so it appears that they opted out.

MissUnderstood1 04-16-2022 01:29 AM

Dear Bon Jovi Fans and "fans"
I really don't like the way many people talk about Jon's vocals. Honestly, i've always thought that fans should support their idol. I don't think his problems are a reason to talk shit about him; we all know his voice has changed over the years and we all know that he's been having some singing troubles recently. That's why he started singing in a lower key and what's most important here is that he's adjusting the way he sings to how he's able to sing.
What many people are talking is just pathetic and childish. Here's a JBJ support video i've recorded; just for y'all to know there still are people who love him and who will love and support him forever and a day.
https://youtu.be/_Iwqn-pgD_E

Butters 04-16-2022 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissUnderstood1 (Post 1279070)
I really don't like the way many people talk about Jon's vocals. Honestly, i've always thought that fans should support their idol. I don't think his problems are a reason to talk shit about him; we all know his voice has changed over the years and we all know that he's been having some singing troubles recently. That's why he started singing in a lower key and what's most important here is that he's adjusting the way he sings to how he's able to sing.
What many people are talking is just pathetic and childish. Here's a JBJ support video i've recorded; just for y'all to know there still are people who love him and who will love and support him forever and a day.

www.backstagejbj.com

(I've no idea if that site even exists anymore)

liljovi93 04-16-2022 08:35 AM

Quote:

Jerry, is that you?

Thinny 04-16-2022 10:20 AM

Quote:

No one is talking hit about him, people are just telling it how it is an voicing their opinions. Don't be a sheep.

Thinny 04-16-2022 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestinationJovi (Post 1279065)
I think he's referring to Ticketmaster's "dynamic pricing," which fluctuates the prices based on supply and demand. You'll know when the prices have fluctuated because you get a pop up stating they're utilizing dynamic pricing before they show you available tickets for a show. But artists can opt out of it. And every time I've checked Bon Jovi tickets this tour, I've never seen the dynamic pricing pop up so it appears that they opted out.

Ahh ok that must be something specific to USA, we don't have that here. Not sure it would even be legal here to be honest...the ticket price is the ticket price and that's that, unless it's a resell

rolo_tomachi 04-16-2022 05:24 PM

Quote:

Let's open Pandora's box,

So let's see, you do not lack reason in what you say, sometimes it is carried too far to lynching. I have that same overprotective feeling with Richie, but we can't ignore reality. When Richie is criticized in a video, I get angry, but then I say to myself, what the hell are you doing Richie. And this happens in any fandom with some objectivity.

Jon's voice problem is the same one he had from 2015-16 onwards. Sooner or later this barrage of criticism was going to come. Now Jon is 60 years old, so we shouldn't be so harsh. and I include myself, it's something all have to work on.

About the fans, what is this about "fans"? .... is it that you are less of a fan for saying what you really think?. Many fans only give their opinion and concern about the state Jon is in, I don't think singing hakuna matata while ignoring the problem will fix everything and make you more of a fan than the rest. Bon Jovi for me is music, not a cult of a man.

About ... forever and one more day, it's very nice, but it's not the first time I've heard it from a self-proclaimed true fan. Many fans, especially "young", often make these kinds of statements, and it's okay, they have that special feeling, but a few years later, BJ is forgotten for them. I can't blame that either, the passage of time changes us, and with it our priorities. But it is usually these types of fans who finally forget.

Haters... well, here we go Jovitalk. A fan site created since 2002, updating every step the band takes... I don't know of another fan site so dedicated and that has lasted this long on the internet. you may or may not like the opinions of some members sometimes, but the good thing about this site is that it will always be there. ACTIVE. It is not one of those elitist cult sites where only a few have access (you know, you are not "fan" enough to belong to their club,) nor will they silence you for thinking differently. but it's not the wild west either.

I've followed the band for decades, I've enjoyed a lot of sites dedicated to BJ that don't exist now, so when you say "there still are people who love him and who will love and support him forever and a day" , I can't imagine any other site other than Jovitalk.

Everyone is welcome. Sometimes some fans take things too seriously, even turning it into something personal, I think this has always happened and will happen in any discussion forum, so on many occasions, you should not take things literally. Being more open minded, but too knowing when a conversation with another member is going nowhere.

Everyone here knows my opinion, for me the magical Jovi of live shows ended when Richie defected and Jon's voice shot. Because I've witnessed so many amazing moments... and this is not the way he (they) was supposed to age. However, I am still here, interested in his new music, because there is no better feeling than waiting for a new record. Nothing has changed, I embrace some things and others are not my cup of tea... but I hope that his new songs will accompany us for a longer time. That's just my honest opinion, it doesn't mean throwing in the towel, but I'm a realist and I know that we are in its period of decline.

I'm glad to know that Bon Jovi still has a great drawing power to fill arenas and probably even stadiums in Europe, despite Jon's voice problems. If Guns N Roses can do it with Axl, why isn't Jon going to continue?

Don't Give Up

efpg0708 04-16-2022 06:47 PM

Quote:

It just happens that the reason why Bon Jovi is my favorite band is because of their songs and their live shows.

Now the songs are not good anymore (with a few exceptions here and there) and the live shows are nowhere near the level they used to be. Realizing that doesn’t make you a hater, but saying “I’ll praise him till the end no matter what he does” basically means that you love Jon Bon Jovi more than Bon Jovi’s music, and there’s nothing wrong with that. To each their own. But seeing the plain reality doesn’t make one a hater.

Cheers

Eduardo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk