Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Remasters UK? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=50193)

Mongoose 02-14-2010 03:20 PM

Remasters UK?

So, where do I get the remasters in the UK? The 5.1 ones with little added bits (Ice said something about the intro to born to be my baby) ?

Johny 02-14-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongoose (Post 970861)
So, where do I get the remasters in the UK? The 5.1 ones with little added bits (Ice said something about the intro to born to be my baby) ?

Uh? It seems that you mean the Slippery When Wet DualDisc, which has 5,1 mix and some songs has new intros and outros. But there is no Born To Be My Baby of course :)

New Jersey DualDisc was planned but because the DualDisc format didn't become successful, it didn't happen.

While speaking about remasters, all albums from the debut to These Days were remastered but the songs are the same as for lenght. Only KTF doesn't have Save A Prayer and These Days doesn't have All I Want Is Everything because every remastered album has a video added (apart from the debut).

Mongoose 02-14-2010 05:13 PM

ah, thought I was a bit confused.

Can you get SWW dualdisc in the UK anywhere? Amazon.com has it :/

And ye gads! You're right, my These Days has no All I Want is everything! Bastards

Rob 02-14-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 970863)
Only KTF doesn't have Save A Prayer and These Days doesn't have All I Want Is Everything because every remastered album has a video added (apart from the debut).

Yeah I thought it was a shitter that. I bought the remasters but felt a bit cheated that we didn't get the extra song. I can live without the videos.

In answer to your question Goose: Slippery When Wet: Amazon.co.uk: Music Slippery When Wet: Amazon.co.uk: Music
It's an imported copy so looks like it wasn't released in the UK.

Mongoose 02-14-2010 05:33 PM

winner, wasn't coming up for me. How strange

Kev 02-14-2010 06:08 PM

Or! You may wish to buy it from here - a little cheaper

http://www.cdwow.com/CD/bon-jovi-sli...381815#bc=b256

I believe they're based in Jersey (That's Jersey, not New Jersey lol) and last time I ordered, I got free shipping...

Bleeding Purist 02-14-2010 09:51 PM

If anybody has any leads on where the Japanease Remasters with the bonus discs can still be gotten, say something. I never got around to the debut or New Jersey for those two, though I do have remastered albums via that Chronicles 3 pack release which had me thinking I was getting a remastered Blaze of Glory....which of course turned out to be the exact same, unchanged, relatively flat sounding original release.

The Slippery Dual Disc is worth it, Mongoose. You'll be re-experiencing the entire album all over again. It's not just about the 5.1 mix the way the HAND dual disc was. I only wish they had approached hand in much the same way.

milomom 02-14-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 970930)
If anybody has any leads on where the Japanease Remasters with the bonus discs can still be gotten, say something. I never got around to the debut or New Jersey for those two, though I do have remastered albums via that Chronicles 3 pack release which had me thinking I was getting a remastered Blaze of Glory....which of course turned out to be the exact same, unchanged, relatively flat sounding original release.

The Slippery Dual Disc is worth it, Mongoose. You'll be re-experiencing the entire album all over again. It's not just about the 5.1 mix the way the HAND dual disc was. I only wish they had approached hand in much the same way.

I bought all of the Japanese remasters via eBay. It took me awhile, but I finally got all of them. Too bad you didn't ask awhile ago. The prices they commanded dropped dramatically during the recession, but they've started rebounding. (And no, I'm not joking.)

<sigh> And I see that now I have to start hunting for a SWW dual disc. Always something . . .

Bleeding Purist 02-14-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 970934)
I bought all of the Japanese remasters via eBay. It took me awhile, but I finally got all of them. Too bad you didn't ask awhile ago. The prices they commanded dropped dramatically during the recession, but they've started rebounding. (And no, I'm not joking.)

<sigh> And I see that now I have to start hunting for a SWW dual disc. Always something . . .

I actually just checked like two days ago on there for NJ and saw one for like 66 dollars. They were always pricey. I think I was paying like 40 bucks or so at Tower back in the 90's when I was picking them up and I didn't have that kind of cash just laying around.

I'll keep an eye out, maybe something decently priced will turn up. Those remasters are really the way to go though. It was the debut and NJ as well as Crossroads that I skipped since they didnt' rank as high with me and I put them as last priority. Eventually too much time passed and they weren't available anymore. I got ahold of the bonus discs via downloading a few years back, but they are in 128 kbps. I keep everything at 256.

milomom 02-14-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 970935)
I actually just checked like two days ago on there for NJ and saw one for like 66 dollars. They were always pricey. I think I was paying like 40 bucks or so at Tower back in the 90's when I was picking them up and I didn't have that kind of cash just laying around.

I'll keep an eye out, maybe something decently priced will turn up. Those remasters are really the way to go though. It was the debut and NJ as well as Crossroads that I skipped since they didnt' rank as high with me and I put them as last priority. Eventually too much time passed and they weren't available anymore. I got ahold of the bonus discs via downloading a few years back, but they are in 128 kbps. I keep everything at 256.

The debut remaster is available quite often, and usually goes for less than $100. NJ isn't on as frequently, and usually goes for more. I haven't been watching as closely since I finally finished my collection. Before the prices dropped, NJ and Cross Road almost always went for $200 - $300.

Johny 02-14-2010 11:03 PM

I'm lucky to have a rare Japanese box set of the first four albums from 1991. I'm not sure if it was remastered or not but it sounds great!

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5206/p1010873s.jpg
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5741/p1010878ub.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3176/p1010879a.jpg

The SWW DD is really worth having!!! It is a shame that New Jersey wasn't released as well :(
I think it is still on sale in some shops, I've seen it not so long ago.

Supersonic 02-14-2010 11:18 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 970944)
I'm lucky to have a rare Japanese box set of the first four albums from 1991. I'm not sure if it was remastered or not but it sounds great!

Those are just the regular releases, not remastered at all. The box was released to "celebrate" the release of Young Guns II. Universal Japan used to do this everytime a new album was released. If you've seen this in a shop and still can get your hands on it please send me a PM. :D

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

milomom 02-14-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 970944)

The SWW DD is really worth having!!! It is a shame that New Jersey wasn't released as well :(
I think it is still on sale in some shops, I've seen it not so long ago.

That is a cool set. It comes up on eBay fairly often, too. I've only managed to restrain myself so far because it doesn't contain any unique music. That's what's so special about the Japanese re-masters . . . those bonus discs full of treats. :cool:

Okay, I'll start working on the SWW DD! Yeah, I need to be spending more money on this band right now. Sheesh. LOL

Johny 02-15-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 970947)
Aloha !

Those are just the regular releases, not remastered at all. The box was released to "celebrate" the release of Young Guns II. Universal Japan used to do this everytime a new album was released. If you've seen this in a shop and still can get your hands on it please send me a PM. :D

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I'm sorry, I was speaking about the SWW DD that I saw in a shop, not this box, unfortunately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 970948)
That is a cool set. It comes up on eBay fairly often, too. I've only managed to restrain myself so far because it doesn't contain any unique music. That's what's so special about the Japanese re-masters . . . those bonus discs full of treats.

Okay, I'll start working on the SWW DD! Yeah, I need to be spending more money on this band right now. Sheesh. LOL

Well, there is a mini CD which has acoustic Wanted Dead Or Alive on one side and a interview with the band about their favourite tracks on the other. I bought it because I had only the remastered versions. Japanese people were always ahead :) - the cases has staffing (I hope it is a correct word) beneath the cds, so they can't get scratched.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/7325/p1010887yl.jpg
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9213/p1010886i.jpg

Totally offtopic: We (Czech Republic) just got the first gold medal at the Olympics - at speed skating. I'm very happy, so I had to tell you :D

milomom 02-15-2010 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 970956)
I'm sorry, I was speaking about the SWW DD that I saw in a shop, not this box, unfortunately.

Well, there is a mini CD which has acoustic Wanted Dead Or Alive on one side and a interview with the band about their favourite tracks on the other. I bought it because I had only the remastered versions. Japanese people were always ahead :) - the cases has staffing (I hope it is a correct word) beneath the cds, so they can't get scratched.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/7325/p1010887yl.jpg
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9213/p1010886i.jpg

Totally offtopic: We (Czech Republic) just got the first gold medal at the Olympics - at speed skating. I'm very happy, so I had to tell you :D

Oh sure -- tell me about the mini CD. LOL I love those things for some reason! I have several of the singles that were released in that format even though there isn't anything unique on them.

And "staffing" isn't the right word there -- maybe "padding," if I'm understanding what you mean correctly.

Great news about the Czech medal. Unfortunately, NBC must be saving the speed skating to show in the evening broadcast. They'll do just about anything to NOT show us live competition. <sigh> A U.S. athlete, Johnny Spillane, just won the first medal for the U.S. EVER (a silver) in Nordic Combined. It was a thrilling race to the line. My dogs were annoyed that I woke them up when I was yelling at the TV! LOL

Kathleen 02-15-2010 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 970963)
Unfortunately, NBC must be saving the speed skating to show in the evening broadcast. They'll do just about anything to NOT show us live competition. <sigh> A U.S. athlete, Johnny Spillane, just won the first medal for the U.S. EVER (a silver) in Nordic Combined. It was a thrilling race to the line. My dogs were annoyed that I woke them up when I was yelling at the TV! LOL

I know - I fell asleep watching this afternoon. They did everything but show us the competition.

milomom 02-15-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 970965)
I know - I fell asleep watching this afternoon. They did everything but show us the competition.

The Nordic Combined was brilliant, though! And the coverage was amazing. I can't imagine how many microphones they must have along the track, because you could actually hear the skis on the snow.

Johny 02-15-2010 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 970963)
Oh sure -- tell me about the mini CD. LOL I love those things for some reason! I have several of the singles that were released in that format even though there isn't anything unique on them.

And "staffing" isn't the right word there -- maybe "padding," if I'm understanding what you mean correctly.

Great news about the Czech medal. Unfortunately, NBC must be saving the speed skating to show in the evening broadcast. They'll do just about anything to NOT show us live competition. <sigh> A U.S. athlete, Johnny Spillane, just won the first medal for the U.S. EVER (a silver) in Nordic Combined. It was a thrilling race to the line. My dogs were annoyed that I woke them up when I was yelling at the TV! LOL

Yeah, padding would be a better word. I get crazy when I want to say something in English and I don't know the word and dictionary can't help me! Staffing is in pillows, right? :D :D

We had live broadcast of the speed skating because Martina Sáblíková was a hot favourite. There not that many medal chances for the Czech Republic :) I'm off to bed right now, it's almost 1 AM here... I hate mondays :(

milomom 02-15-2010 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 970976)
Yeah, padding would be a better word. I get crazy when I want to say something in English and I don't know the word and dictionary can't help me! Staffing is in pillows, right? :D :D

We had live broadcast of the speed skating because Martina Sáblíková was a hot favourite. There not that many medal chances for the Czech Republic :) I'm off to bed right now, it's almost 1 AM here... I hate mondays :(

Close, Johny -- stuffing is in pillows! :D BTW, you'll get no criticism from me about your English (which is very good anyway). I can't handle any other language. Years ago I took 3 semesters of German in order to graduate from the university, but that's LONG GONE!

Bleeding Purist 02-15-2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 970948)

Terri, I got mine in from Amazon two weeks ago. I think it was $14.00, so this one won't kill you.

milomom 02-15-2010 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 970983)
Terri, I got mine in from Amazon two weeks ago. I think it was $14.00, so this one won't kill you.

Well that's a relief. That isn't even as much as a bloody convenience fee! :p

Thanks for the info.

Bleeding Purist 02-15-2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 970956)
Well, there is a mini CD which has acoustic Wanted Dead Or Alive on one side and a interview with the band about their favourite tracks on the other.

Oh cool! I'm betting that's the same acoustic version that was on the Wanted Maxi Single back in 1987, which I have....somewhere...and no tape deck. That maxi came with studio Wanted, a live version of Wanted from the Slippery tour, the acoustic Wanted, and I'd Die For You (regular studio version.)

The live version of Wanted is on the Japanese Slippery Remaster Bonus...though if I remember right, it was incorrectly labled as being from 1995. I was happy to get that particular version replaced with a CD version finally. It was always one of my favorite performances as well as my very first ever live Bon Jovi track....FOR YEARS! I always thought that performance captured their mood on that tour perfectly....passionate and full of emptiness, loneliness, and just plain drained from the unexpected nightmare that came with the overnight success of the album. The irony is when the song was written, they had no idea what was coming....I'm sure they wrote it based on what they already felt from previous touring, but it's here that you are hearing it performed with much more significance. I've always loved how haunting the intro sounded with Tico's bass thump much more prominent than on the studio version. If you listen to this particular version and then watch those images from the music video, what you see there goes with what you hear on the live version.

bjmjpl 02-15-2010 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 970985)
Oh cool! I'm betting that's the same acoustic version that was on the Wanted Maxi Single back in 1987, which I have....somewhere...and no tape deck. That maxi came with studio Wanted, a live version of Wanted from the Slippery tour, the acoustic Wanted, and I'd Die For You (regular studio version.)

The live version of Wanted is on the Japanese Slippery Remaster Bonus...though if I remember right, it was incorrectly labled as being from 1995. I was happy to get that particular version replaced with a CD version finally. It was always one of my favorite performances as well as my very first ever live Bon Jovi track....FOR YEARS! I always thought that performance captured their mood on that tour perfectly....passionate and full of emptiness, loneliness, and just plain drained from the unexpected nightmare that came with the overnight success of the album. The irony is when the song was written, they had no idea what was coming....I'm sure they wrote it based on what they already felt from previous touring, but it's here that you are hearing it performed with much more significance. I've always loved how haunting the intro sounded with Tico's bass thump much more prominent than on the studio version. If you listen to this particular version and then watch those images from the music video, what you see there goes with what you hear on the live version.

totally agreed to ticos bass thump - takes me back to driving to swim team practice....those were good days to be getting into music - that was a great tape...:)

Johny 02-15-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 970985)

It will be the same version as on the single. It was apparently taped during the SWW tour because Jon's voice is very shot. Suprisingly, it makes the song better - it help to create the imagination that being on tour is really hard.

The live version you speak about is, I guess, from Cincinatti March 19, 1987. It has great background vocals from Richie!

Bleeding Purist 02-15-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 971014)
It will be the same version as on the single. It was apparently taped during the SWW tour because Jon's voice is very shot. Suprisingly, it makes the song better - it help to create the imagination that being on tour is really hard.

I've never really liked it too much as they quickly superceded that version with far superior and more memorable acoustic performances such as the MTV Awards, though I wouldn't mind getting my copy upgraded.

Quote:

The live version you speak about is, I guess, from Cincinatti March 19, 1987. It has great background vocals from Richie!
No, it isn't Cincinatti. I've had that show for years as well. The drums are hardly prominent on that show and I don't particularly like the sound. I'd much rather get a hold of the entire show the version of Wanted in question is from. It is not in circulation.

Supersonic 02-15-2010 04:34 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 971068)
No, it isn't Cincinatti. I've had that show for years as well. The drums are hardly prominent on that show and I don't particularly like the sound. I'd much rather get a hold of the entire show the version of Wanted in question is from. It is not in circulation.

That version of Wanted Dead Or Alive was recorded on March 3, 1987 at the Cobo Arena, Detroit, Michigan, USA. There is a bootleg recording available of the night before, but the night this version was recorded is not in circulation as far as I'm aware.

Just because it's not on my site doens't mean that I don't have the information. :p

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Johny 02-15-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 971069)
Aloha !

That version of Wanted Dead Or Alive was recorded on March 3, 1987 at the Cobo Arena, Detroit, Michigan, USA. There is a bootleg recording available of the night before, but the night this version was recorded is not in circulation as far as I'm aware.

Just because it's not on my site doens't mean that I don't have the information. :p

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I wasn't looking at your site while answering :D The next show I'd go for is Uniondale August 10, 1987 :D Those would be the obvious ones for me :)

I'm pretty sure that it should be March 11, 1987 (wow, precisely a year before I was born :D). I have the a bootleg of the night before March 10, 1987.

Supersonic 02-15-2010 04:50 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 971070)
I'm pretty sure that it should be March 11, 1987 (wow, precisely a year before I was born :D). I have the a bootleg of the night before March 10, 1987.

Whoops, yeah I got the date mixed up. It's filed as 3.11.1987 here, and with Americans changing the dates with the months it's sometimes a bit harder to get the day/month right. Silly wankers. :p

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Johny 02-15-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 971071)
Aloha !

Whoops, yeah I got the date mixed up. It's filed as 3.11.1987 here, and with Americans changing the dates with the months it's sometimes a bit harder to get the day/month right. Silly wankers. :p

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I don't understand their date system as well :D Maybe a need to be different :D

3.11.1987 it's clear that it is written in the American way because they weren't on tour in November 1987, last show was about the half of October at Hawaii. I don't remember the exact date and I can't be bothered to look it up now, I'm bored to death with writing an essay about architecture.

Kathleen 02-15-2010 06:35 PM

I have a sampler with the following information:

Wanted Dead Or Alive, USA promo, US CD7P 01

1 Wanted Dead Or Alive (Short Version)
2 Wanted Dead Or Alive (Live)
3 Wanted Dead Or Alive (Long Version)
4 Wanted Dead Or Alive (Acoustic)

(2) 1987-03-18 Electric Ladyland Studios. NY
(3) 1987-03-11 Cobo Arena, Detroit

For all you Europeans who don't understand these things - the date is expressed in standard format - Year - Month - Day :roll:

Mongoose 02-15-2010 07:49 PM

ah Kev, thanks for the cheaper option and yeah its free deliv.