Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Richie Sambora (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70867)

Thinny 05-18-2022 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1280120)
I agree with you. Richie performing without a guitar is very awkward to watch as it is not his natural habitat. Singing and playing guitar at the same time is what he always did, and it's the only thing he has to do.

I don't think he should ditch the guitar completely. He could still play, just have another guy do the parts that are integral to the song and some solos, and direct the band etc, while he focusses on the vocals.

Thinny 05-18-2022 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1280116)
Such a good point. But therein is the rub, would people really want to hear him play guitar or sing lead?

For me, on his solo stuff singing absolutely. I can live with someone else doing some solos, but the thought of him playing guitar on his solo stuff, while getting someone else to sing has very little appeal to me.

QUceK1WV8 05-18-2022 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1280120)
I agree with you. Richie performing without a guitar is very awkward to watch as it is not his natural habitat. Singing and playing guitar at the same time is what he always did, and it's the only thing he has to do.

I completely agree. It is just that playing lead and singing lead at the same time is pretty damn hard. Technically I am sure he could pull it off with proper rehearsals but both will suffer - singing and playing. He could just play rhythm and sing. And obviously do a solo here and there, too. In my opinion that is what he should do. Just get an ace lead guitar and a producer. Preferrably sober and professional musicians all around him. Joy.

Anyway, how great it is to have a discussion on this topic instead of what we have been having for years?

Johny 05-18-2022 10:22 PM

He used to play the signature stuff of songs - the main lick or riff at the beginning or between verses amd the solos and he left mainly the rhythm and also lead stuff on the other guy while singing. It worked. I guess it's just about having a stable backup band that is rehearsed. It's hard to have that when you play gig here and there and (unfortunately) you want to let loose and improvise and therefore destroy what has actually been rehearsed.

It'd need more focus and that's what he's been lacking lately, well for a few years.

semigoodlooking 05-19-2022 04:48 PM

I think he has lost a lot of character in his guitar playing, and his classy tone. I am not sure why, probably because he muddles it too much. He can still mostly sing, and his playing is passable in a sloppy kind of way, yet the performances still seem off to me.

Why is unclear, but it seems messy. If I walked into a local band and they did that cover, I would likely be mostly impressed. But from a 40-year professional musician, it doesn't cut it for me. He is going for loose and vibes but the result is jumbled and sometimes awkward.

However, I think Richie's issues are more solvable than Jon's. Practice on guitar, cut out the jam band stuff because he can't do it, be more focused, and it could become a good show. That said, I have never thought Richie makes a properly convincing frontman. Part of the problem is he doesn't need to be but thinks that he is.

Eveline 05-19-2022 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1280132)
I think he has lost a lot of character in his guitar playing, and his classy tone. I am not sure why, probably because he muddles it too much. He can still mostly sing, and his playing is passable in a sloppy kind of way, yet the performances still seem off to me.

Why is unclear, but it seems messy. If I walked into a local band and they did that cover, I would likely be mostly impressed. But from a 40-year professional musician, it doesn't cut it for me. He is going for loose and vibes but the result is jumbled and sometimes awkward.

However, I think Richie's issues are more solvable than Jon's. Practice on guitar, cut out the jam band stuff because he can't do it, be more focused, and it could become a good show. That said, I have never thought Richie makes a properly convincing frontman. Part of the problem is he doesn't need to be but thinks that he is.

Good points! And yeah, I have the same impression...

YOVANAfromPeru 05-21-2022 03:33 AM

I liked that video of Richie, it's obviously more fun to hear Richie than Jon, these days.

QUceK1WV8 05-21-2022 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1280141)
I liked that video of Richie, it's obviously more fun to hear Richie than Jon, these days.

It's been pretty bad both ways for a long time in my opinion. But I do agree: this one video gives hope that Richie could be on his way up from the depths.

B.J. Always 05-28-2022 07:39 PM

Richie still seems to have his voice. I think his other problems tend to take away from his performing ability. Elvis at the end still has his voice, but he was so messed up that he couldn't perform. I don't think I've ever heard Richie in as bad of shape as Elvis was? He started out fine and then really lost the plot!

richiefan95 06-08-2022 08:44 AM

Richie at minute 7:00